TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 shelby or 2011 GTR

svt13

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for your information I got my shelby at 1k above invoice. And I have every option except track pack and shaker. I got the shelby for a simple reason, its the best bang for buck out there below 70k. The GTR was simply above my price range hence why I do not have one. And i would not want a lambo for a daily driver. GTR is nice because its pretty much the best practical daily driver someone could own.

Practical daily driver over the GTR is definately the 911 or even the Audi R8, that is my 2 cents. Then again I am not all about speed, I do not track so they are all faster than I can use on the street anyway.

Practical daily driver over the GTR is definately the 911 or even the Audi R8, that is my 2 cents. Then again I am not all about speed, I do not track so they are all faster than I can use on the street anyway.

I don't like porsche. I only like the GT2 RS. 2nd how is an audi r8 practical? It can't be driven in snow and if something breaks on it, its even more expensive to fix than the GTR or the porsche.

mach 1 listen to this guy ^, he is exactly right. Which is what I said earlier.

SVT 13--- Yes this is great for the dealer NOT YOU !! The main reason you bought a SHELBY GT500 was bang for the buck. No wonder it is so easy for you to sell it. Some people have a deep down respect and love for the Shelby name. Some people have owned Shelby's for the past 40 years and others got hooked over a shorter span. Not to many guys @ car shows say" I got this because of the bang for the buck". It is hard to put in words all the great memories of driving all those great Shelby's. There are so many stories and thrills to share with people about these cars.over the years. You never gave the Shelby a chance if you sell it. But please if you plan on driving her in the snow then maybe you should trade her.

SVT 13--- Yes this is great for the dealer NOT YOU !! The main reason you bought a SHELBY GT500 was bang for the buck. No wonder it is so easy for you to sell it. Some people have a deep down respect and love for the Shelby name. Some people have owned Shelby's for the past 40 years and others got hooked over a shorter span. Not to many guys @ car shows say" I got this because of the bang for the buck". It is hard to put in words all the great memories of driving all those great Shelby's. There are so many stories and thrills to share with people about these cars.over the years. You never gave the Shelby a chance if you sell it. But please if you plan on driving her in the snow then maybe you should trade her.

I wouldn't drive it IN snow per say. But I wil be driving it during winter hence why I will be getting winter tires. Besides my area we get like what 2 inches tops? And once every 10 years we get a 5 foot blizzard. But yea I just like good deals. The shelby is a good deal. I hate buying stuff and getting ripped off. For example an M3 would fall into that category or s5. So really for me it was either zl1 or shelby. I chose shelby.

I don't like porsche. I only like the GT2 RS. 2nd how is an audi r8 practical? It can't be driven in snow and if something breaks on it, its even more expensive to fix than the GTR or the porsche.

R8 can not be driven in the snow? You better google that. I would bet it is a much better every day car than the GTR, but it does cost a good amount more.

R8 can not be driven in the snow? You better google that. I would bet it is a much better every day car than the GTR, but it does cost a good amount more.

I'd say the R8 can handle itself quite well in the snow and on winter roads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Deq-bb_gbGo

SVT before you even consider getting the GTR you might want to find a garage to keep it in. Bad enough the Shelby doesn't have a garage for some reason.

You say the GT500 is annoying driving in traffic, just get used to it and it will normal nature to you. If your not too confident about driving it spiritedly, go spend a full day out in the middle of nowhere and really learn about the Shelby and become one with it. If you really love the GT500 and learn to drive it really good, you would more than likely be bored letting the GTR basically drive itself. I don't see any fun in that.

The question is, you say you bought the GT500 with plans to trade it for a GTR somewhere down the road, why did you even have to buy the GT500 then? why didn't you just put down whatever you paid for the GT500 and finance the rest of the cost of the GTR, seems you like you really set that car. Like stated before, you can trade a brand new Shelby in for a 2011 used GTR, then you can trade that in on an 09 Lambo, and so on. Until eventually you end up with something from the 90's. As stated before the dealer is getting a win win situation. You don't think they actually paid 76k for that GTR do you? They got it way cheaper than that. But if you really want to go from Legendary American muscle to Japanese, go for it man.

It's RWD and so low. Plus all lower trim is carbon fiber. I would not drive that in the snow

The R8 is not RWD, but rather AWD, just like the GTR. Audi's Quattro system has been offered for over 30 years. Having lived with an Audi for the past decade in an area where snow is common occurence from mid November to early April, I can tell you that the system is both reliable and very effective. It is indeed more expensive than the GTR and is also a bit slower from 0-60, but it is certainly as good a daily driver as the GTR.

The R8 is not RWD, but rather AWD, just like the GTR. Audi's Quattro system has been offered for over 30 years. Having lived with an Audi for the past decade in an area where snow is common occurence from mid November to early April, I can tell you that the system is both reliable and very effective. It is indeed more expensive than the GTR and is also a bit slower from 0-60, but it is certainly as good a daily driver as the GTR.

Oh? I thought the cheaper one was RWD

You may want to do some research into the GTR. There are some absloutely horrendous maintenance costs involved with those cars. They are also very ugly.

+1, that is one fast, expensive to own UGLY import.

SVT before you even consider getting the GTR you might want to find a garage to keep it in. Bad enough the Shelby doesn't have a garage for some reason.

You say the GT500 is annoying driving in traffic, just get used to it and it will normal nature to you. If your not too confident about driving it spiritedly, go spend a full day out in the middle of nowhere and really learn about the Shelby and become one with it. If you really love the GT500 and learn to drive it really good, you would more than likely be bored letting the GTR basically drive itself. I don't see any fun in that.

The question is, you say you bought the GT500 with plans to trade it for a GTR somewhere down the road, why did you even have to buy the GT500 then? why didn't you just put down whatever you paid for the GT500 and finance the rest of the cost of the GTR, seems you like you really set that car. Like stated before, you can trade a brand new Shelby in for a 2011 used GTR, then you can trade that in on an 09 Lambo, and so on. Until eventually you end up with something from the 90's. As stated before the dealer is getting a win win situation. You don't think they actually paid 76k for that GTR do you? They got it way cheaper than that. But if you really want to go from Legendary American muscle to Japanese, go for it man.

The GTR was just more than I could afford at this time. 98k is a lot to drop down. I don't like having debt let alone debt for that long. But if I could trade the GTR for an 09 lambo and keep going higher thats actually a pretty good idea to make money don't you think? B)

I think it comes down to the driving experience. The GTR is a great car, there is no arguing that at all. However, as others have stated the maintenance is very expensive and the tires are another pricey item that you may want to consider. Ask how much the brake job costs and you may want to sit down (cost can be upwards of $5000 or more). Make sure you get the extended warranty because the GTR has been known to have transmission issues and Nissan considers the transmission a single unit so, if something goes wrong you are looking at a total replacement.

Personally, I went with the GT500 because when I drive the car "I" want to drive the car not have a car where the computer does most of the work for me. If it comes down to pure numbers, the GTR would be the car I bought however, when it comes to the fun factor, the GT500 was the choice for me. Also, the upkeep/maintenance were big factors, I do well for myself however not well well enough to spend thousands on fluids.

Both are great cars, the 2013 GT500 to me seems like the car which lends itself to the driver more than the GTR. Of course, either way you cannot really go wrong since they are both amazing cars.

Good luck!

there is no question the GTR is a true super car, not many cars out there than compete with it's performance numbers. my personal oppinion is it doesn't have the same curb appeal as a Shelby. It's a really cool car to other car guys, the average person would have no idea what it is. however almost everyone looks twice when they see a Shelby roar down the street. in theory, you could make the deal, drive the GTR for a year, sell is and stil make money on the deal and buy a new Shelby when the prices come down.

there is no question the GTR is a true super car, not many cars out there than compete with it's performance numbers. my personal oppinion is it doesn't have the same curb appeal as a Shelby. It's a really cool car to other car guys, the average person would have no idea what it is. however almost everyone looks twice when they see a Shelby roar down the street. in theory, you could make the deal, drive the GTR for a year, sell is and stil make money on the deal and buy a new Shelby when the prices come down.

Or buy a 2015 if they come out and are actual upgrades

What he said, I have owned several Audi's and they are Outstanding in the winter, R8 is not different with the right tires. I am not saying I would drive it in the snow, but you certainly can. I wish the resale was not so high, I would pick up a used one.

OK so that GTR was a POS.

It had to worse clear bra job I have ever seen. It looks like something just put a serane wrap over the car and called it a clear bra. The fron splitter was scraped in 2 places. The interior on the metal part by the shifter had this long ass scratch I don't even know how someone does that. The entire car was one giant spider web scratch. Either this owner took it in a car wash or tried it with sand paper. But it was swirl galore.

Or 20 spiders came and had an orgy on his car just before I looked at it. Then they tried to convince me that the shelby is only worth 50k because there is nothing out for 2013 so they have to go by the 2012. And the hole for the front license plate was the size of my fist. It didn't attach with screws but the plastic piece that went in was HUGE. The owner would have been better off with the screws in his bumper that moron. And lastly they claimed to have said the manager no longer can owner the arrangement we made. Then they tried to get me to trade the car in for a porsche boxer.

77k for that car is LAUGHABLE. The KBB value of that car which should be categorized in crap condition is 68k. In my opinion I wouldn't even spend that much. It would cost me like 10k just to fix everything that was messed up with it. I asked them about the huge ass spider scratches and their like well it has a clear bra. Clearly the crap clear bra didn't save it from those.

And to anyone who wants to clear bra their cars, after seing it on a black car I'm so glad I did not clear bra mine because it looks SO UGLY.

I was just like wowwwwwwwww and left. My first experience with an a$$hole dealership.

Looks like I'll be keeping my car and I'll just get a new GTR in 5 years.

Good now that, that is settled, go ahead and start 50 threads on what parts to buy for the Shelby..........

JUST KIDDING!

See you had the right car all along, quit being so darn picky! Can't believe the condition you are saying about that car though!

Good now that, that is settled, go ahead and start 50 threads on what parts to buy for the Shelby..........

JUST KIDDING!

See you had the right car all along, quit being so darn picky! Can't believe the condition you are saying about that car though!

Hey think of it like this. My car can be the guinea pig for the rest of you :).

But yes the GTR was in terrible condition. Definitely owned by an old guy who did not respect it one bit nor knew how to care for it. I feel bad for the 911 he has now its probably going to be screwed up as well.

OK so that GTR was a POS.

It had to worse clear bra job I have ever seen. It looks like something just put a serane wrap over the car and called it a clear bra. The fron splitter was scraped in 2 places. The interior on the metal part by the shifter had this long ass scratch I don't even know how someone does that. The entire car was one giant spider web scratch. Either this owner took it in a car wash or tried it with sand paper. But it was swirl galore.

Or 20 spiders came and had an orgy on his car just before I looked at it. Then they tried to convince me that the shelby is only worth 50k because there is nothing out for 2013 so they have to go by the 2012. And the hole for the front license plate was the size of my fist. It didn't attach with screws but the plastic piece that went in was HUGE. The owner would have been better off with the screws in his bumper that moron. And lastly they claimed to have said the manager no longer can owner the arrangement we made. Then they tried to get me to trade the car in for a porsche boxer.

77k for that car is LAUGHABLE. The KBB value of that car which should be categorized in crap condition is 68k. In my opinion I wouldn't even spend that much. It would cost me like 10k just to fix everything that was messed up with it. I asked them about the huge ass spider scratches and their like well it has a clear bra. Clearly the crap clear bra didn't save it from those.

And to anyone who wants to clear bra their cars, after seing it on a black car I'm so glad I did not clear bra mine because it looks SO UGLY.

I was just like wowwwwwwwww and left. My first experience with an a$$hole dealership.

Looks like I'll be keeping my car and I'll just get a new GTR in 5 years.

If it looks too good to be true....

Glad you made the right choice. Enjoy your Shelby. I'm with you on the clear bra thing. I'll take my chances with rock chips but I refuse to put plastic over my stripes.

Archived