TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 shelby or 2011 GTR

svt13

I agree..my Nephew bought a new 2012 GTR and when I saw the car in person it's huge..and yes I agree ugly..would never take a GTR over a GT500

JMO.

I think the GTR is the best looking Japanese car ever made and is the only Japanese car I'd ever consider owning.

That said, it isn't even on the same level of looks at the GT500 unless you're with the ricer crowd.

I'm crossing my fingers....if SVT13 trades his GT500, maybe he'll plague the GTR forums with these questions every day instead of us (=

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the GTR is the best looking Japanese car ever made and is the only Japanese car I'd ever consider owning.

That said, it isn't even on the same level of looks at the GT500 unless you're with the ricer crowd.

I'm crossing my fingers....if SVT13 trades his GT500, maybe he'll plague the GTR forums with these questions every day instead of us (=

I hear ya...don't get me wrong I don't hate the car and it's a great performer for sure but when I walked up to the car I was shocked

at how big it was..and yeah I agree most who will buy the GTR over the GT500 will be the younger people..I kinda liked the Toyota

Supra back in the mid 90's but back then I hated the Stang and Trans Am and Camaro until the 98 Ram Air Trans Am came out and

I bought me one of them.

Then don't read them. Why the hell are you on a forum then when thats the whole purpose of it is to ask questions. What a moronic comment to make.

Same with saying the GTR is for the ricer crowd. So a more aerodynamic and exotic looking car is for ricers? I think you need to go check what ricer even means damn. Your 2 for 2 today on pointless comments.

I hear ya...don't get me wrong I don't hate the car and it's a great performer for sure but when I walked up to the car I was shocked

at how big it was..and yeah I agree most who will buy the GTR over the GT500 will be the younger people..I kinda liked the Toyota

Supra back in the mid 90's but back then I hated the Stang and Trans Am and Camaro until the 98 Ram Air Trans Am came out and

I bought me one of them.

The GTR is no bigger than the shelby

I personally think the GTR is awesome looking, but the man is right about the maintenance costs. Let's face it...on any $85k sports car the parts will be uber- expensive and will be high to maintain. Just ask any KR owner..

http://blogs.insidel...-expensive.html

911 maintenance is not even close to GTR, makes up for the price difference quickly. Just my opinion, if I were in the market for that type of car I would get a P-Car all day long, especially now that the IMS/RMS issues are over with. By the way I think $5000 is low for the brakes, I have read $7000.

Thats the opinion of someone who is biased. I just respect all cars.

Very nice grasshopper...you are much more refined and have lived a richer life than the rest of us...you freaking tool! You should insist on being the moderator of this site..no, actually all car sites, because, after all, you RESPECT all cars. - as you love to say...LOL! LOL! LOL!

Actually, this is the best looking Japanese car ever made....

And it's a Shelby....

shelby_toyota-2000-gt-1968_r2.jpg

shelby_toyota-2000-gt-1968_r2.jpg

What did you find out about the GTR extended warranty?

10 year 4k. I can return my extended warranties from ford and use that to pay for the extended on the GTR. I would have to pay for a service plan and tire warranty though. Will see how much those cost on saturday

Very nice grasshopper...you are much more refined and have lived a richer life than the rest of us...you freaking tool! You should insist on being the moderator of this site..no, actually all car sites, because, after all, you RESPECT all cars. - as you love to say...LOL! LOL! LOL!

no just not a ford fan boy like you or obsessed. But if you want to make retarded assumptions thats fine. Just makes you look like an idiot.

SVT13 just make sure this is what you really want. It all comes down to what YOU want and can afford. The extended warranty and service plan is cool and all, but if something breaks and isn't covered get ready to be screwed. I have read about a lot of GTR guys using the launch control and supposedly if it is used Nissan voids the warranty. Don't know if that is all true but that is exactly what I have read. Do you really want to trade in a brand new GT500 for a used GTR? And you better make sure the service plan covers everything because sometimes those can be a little shady.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I take my 13 Shelby out for errands, drive, car show I get lots of people who comment on how nice the car looks, nice to see a Shelby, want to take photos, want to talk ask questions, etc. Doubt if the GTR generates that many head turns. Let's just face it, the GTR is rice on steroids. Maybe superior in some respects, all about what you want and I am proud to own a stout piece of American Muscle that garners the attention it deserves.

SVT13 just make sure this is what you really want. It all comes down to what YOU want and can afford. The extended warranty and service plan is cool and all, but if something breaks and isn't covered get ready to be screwed. I have read about a lot of GTR guys using the launch control and supposedly if it is used Nissan voids the warranty. Don't know if that is all true but that is exactly what I have read. Do you really want to trade in a brand new GT500 for a used GTR? And you better make sure the service plan covers everything because sometimes those can be a little shady.

Well I have to get a better look at it. I may not do it. I'm kinda enjoying the new car feeling too much right now. Plus this car is easy and cheap to modify. The GTR I would only be able to do like one mod per year and that one mod would cost as much as all the mods on the shelby. I wouldn't mind waiting to get the GTR in a few years but I will get one eventually. I like more exotic looking cars.

I love the GT-R, the only reason I didn't buy one is because they didn't offer it in a convertible. I don't know much, but I have read here on these forumns that they are expensive to maintain and upgrade. Seems like a hassle. Wow I could have almost predicted this SVT, you have been nitpicking the car from day 1! I get it though. I just love the car no matter what. You know do what you like though. If you do change do me a favor, don't nitpick that damn car ok? LOL!

Nothing but Amercan Muscle for me. I would not give you my car for 2 GTRs.

That is a silly comment. You could sell them both for 140K at least buy a new 13 Shelby and pocket around 70K or more, why would you not do that hypothetical situation? To not do that would make no economical sense!

Man, if I was offered 2 GT-R's for my 1 Shelby I WOULD DEFINATELY DO IT!!! Talk about an investment lol!

GT-R is a fine machine, to say it isn't is to be in denial. It isn't ugly either.It's style is different than an American car, but nice nonetheless.

Good luck SVT... I knew you should have never bought this car! LOL!

The GTR is no bigger than the shelby

Try putting the two side by side and you'll see for yourself...not dissing your GTR just think it's the younger generations car

it's the in thing on the street to say you own a GTR...just like the smaller cars to the young people if it's not a Civic they won't look

at it...never mind what anyone on here says..sounds like the GTR is the bomb so go out and trade the GT500 on it..it's that simple.

If that warranty is not a factory nissan contract you could be up a creek without a paddle if something breaks. Aftermarket warranties are a joke. The GTR is faster from a dig and the Shelby is faster from a roll. If you prefer that the car does all the driving then the GTR is it. If you like to be involved with the car the Shelby is for you. The looks of the GTR is a love it or leave it affair, for me it’s a leave it thing. The GTR I'm sure is a great car just not for me the cost to maintain it is way too high. Just a transmission fluid change is over a thousand dollars.

I guess this is a personal choice. In my current situation, with another car as my daily driver, I would not trade a Shelby for a GTR. I prefer the look of the Shelby by far but would certainly not call the GTR ugly. Having said that, due to the climate where I live, if I had to use either car as a daily driver all year round, I would have to choose the GTR due to AWD. That's the choice I made in the mid '90s when I bought a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo, which was kind of similar to the GTR for its era (twin turbo V6, AWD, 4 whell steering, etc). If this is any indication, I would agree with other posters that the maintenance costs for the GTR will be very high. Cars like these are low volume and have a lot of parts that are unique and not shared with other models within their brand, which drives the costs of replacement parts way up. In addition, there is a lot of stuff that can break on such a high tech car. Over its lifetime, I probably paid my Stealth twice when factoring repair costs. By comparison, my 12 year old Audi, which aslo has twin turbos and AWD has been extremely reliable. On these types of high tech cars, I would trust the Germans ahead of the Japanese and would probably buy a 911 or an Audi R8 instead of a GTR, but that's just me. As I said in the beginning, if you love the GTR, this is a personal choice and the deal seems very good, so go for it.

Finally, I agree with svtkeith that the GTR is the bigger car. I had an opportunity to see one parked side by side with my Shelby. It is definitely wider and I believe a bit heavier also. Its proportions may also make it look even bigger than it is.

That is a silly comment. You could sell them both for 140K at least buy a new 13 Shelby and pocket around 70K or more, why would you not do that hypothetical situation? To not do that would make no economical sense!

Man, if I was offered 2 GT-R's for my 1 Shelby I WOULD DEFINATELY DO IT!!! Talk about an investment lol!

GT-R is a fine machine, to say it isn't is to be in denial. It isn't ugly either.It's style is different than an American car, but nice nonetheless.

Good luck SVT... I knew you should have never bought this car! LOL!

Thanks for the math lesson. Just so you know, I do own a calculator. It was meant to be a statement of emphasis on how much I like the Shelby.

Well we shall see what happens. An AWD performance car would be better for me since I will be driving all year round. And to be honest the stick shift in early morning traffic is starting to get annoying. I just really like that with the GTR I could go so fast in turns that I wouldn't dare do in the Shelby.

I wouldn't say though I should NEVER have bought this car because 65k car for a 77k car is a pretty good trade if you ask me. Anyways I need to get all the info on the warranty if I can not be guaranteed to have full coverage them no way will I do it. As you all say the maintanence is absurd on that car.

And yes modifying is expensive. The exhaust I would do is like 4k and the carbon fiber pieces for each part I would do are around 2-7k each. But that being said if I can't be fully covered then I won't do it. When I bought the Shelby I was always going to sell it for a GTR whether it happens now or 5 years from now makes no difference to me besides what the terms are

I love the GT-R, the only reason I didn't buy one is because they didn't offer it in a convertible. I don't know much, but I have read here on these forumns that they are expensive to maintain and upgrade. Seems like a hassle. Wow I could have almost predicted this SVT, you have been nitpicking the car from day 1! I get it though. I just love the car no matter what. You know do what you like though. If you do change do me a favor, don't nitpick that damn car ok? LOL!

I have to nit pick one thing. The seats are as firm as ROCKS lol

without reading the entire thread, just title alone makes me want to drop kick you.... :banghead:

sell your car to someone who really wants it, go out and get the GTR...requires much less skill to drive

come back in a few months and let us know: how much aftermarket parts cost for it and also how long it lasts before it breaks down :headspin:

without reading the entire thread, just title alone makes me want to drop kick you.... :banghead:

sell your car to someone who really wants it, go out and get the GTR...requires much less skill to drive

come back in a few months and let us know: how much aftermarket parts cost for it and also how long it lasts before it breaks down :headspin:

I honestly don't care whether a car takes more skill or not to drive. All that sounds like to me is more of a chance for me to kill myself when doing spirited driving. "hey I died but who cares because my car took more skill to drive than yours!!". Drop kick yourself.

2nd never said this was a for sure thing hence the thread. Its to gather opinions before a decision is made. And I already listed 3 posts back how much aftermarket parts cost for it. Though if true 100% quality carbon parts were made for the shelby they would cost the same and if there was an aftermarket company that made a titanium exhaust it would also cost the same.

And just because I'm considering trading my car for a better one doesn't mean I don't really want it. It just means I'm not retarded and attached? Plus how many shelbys now have had problems and needed to be taken in for warranty work? I feel lucky I got one with zero problems.

I added my opinion, personally I do not like the looks at all, I agree it is a love it or hate it and I hate it. With that said it is a sick performing car. SVT13 I would not pay attention to the "Shelby is the only Great Car in the World" folks on the forum, ignore them, its much easier.

Good luck, I hope what ever decision you make it makes you happy in the end.

I added my opinion, personally I do not like the looks at all, I agree it is a love it or hate it and I hate it. With that said it is a sick performing car. SVT13 I would not pay attention to the "Shelby is the only Great Car in the World" folks on the forum, ignore them, its much easier.

Good luck, I hope what ever decision you make it makes you happy in the end.

Thanks appreciate it. For now I'm leaning towards keeping the shelby (never in my life did I think I would consider that but this car truly is an amazing car on the street at least :) but we shall see come saturday.

There might be something wrong with that GTR . The Audi people don't know anything about these cars. I would take it to a Nissan dealer and make sure it was never wrecked or abused. The thing maybe off warranty and only a Nissan dealer can tell you that or what has been done to it.. Buyer Beware !!!! People did not buy these hot cars to drive to church on sundays. ----DO NOT rely on a carfax for a car like this.---

Archived