TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super snake wheels would be made if Shelby performance ordered more? Every body wants super snake wheels, let us buy them from Alcoa ourselves.

SS730HP

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's safe to say that Alcoa is not going to make the SuperSnake style wheels for anyone other than Shelby American since Shelby paid for the molds and development for the wheels and probably has a license agreement regarding the wheels. I think the only way you will see those wheels back again is if Shelby places another order with Alcoa.

Keep a few things in mind:

1. The Alcoas we all loved were VERY INEXPENSIVE for a lightweight forged wheel. Hitting that price point will most likely never happen again.

2. DuraBright is an Alcoa proprietary process. I have reason to believe it's been discontinued, BTW.

:drop:

If everyone just wants the old wheel back, at the old price, I think we're gonna need a time machine.

Jer

The Alcoas are the best looking wheel for these cars period. The fact that they came on the Super Snakes (The King of Mustangs) made them special. I love that they are forged and have the Durabright finish. I'm not a fan of the black wheel fad though as those just look generic and dirty. :hysterical: I love the 18s on my KR, but would be willing to purchase some 20s if they were produced again.

#4.

How many will it take Jer?

Everyone is missing the most important part: Alcoa cancelled this program, and (reportedly) has cancelled DuraBright as well.

BTW, I'd love a set, and can't get them. I get it.

Jer

I sent an email to Alcoa and this is a copy of the email, you will be surprised!

This is the response I got back.

Thank you for contacting us. You submitted the following request via alcoa.com:

Alcoa forged aluminum wheels for Shelby on the Super Snake and KR were well received and exceed expectations. Since Alcoa is an OEM supplier to Shelby Autos, they are the customer and driving this product into the markeplace. Shelby Autos will ultimately make the decision to order more of these wheels. Solicit your feedback to Shelby Autos and let them know of your interest. They'll have to make the decision to purchase another allotment.

Contact Message

===============

Inquiry Topic Other

First Name stephen

Last Name donapel

Please Select Your Responsibility. Other

Company

Email Address steved2u@yahoo.com

Phone Number 215-677-4477

City levittown

State PA

Country United States

Please Select Your Industry. Individual

How Did you Hear About us? Trade Show

Subject Will you ever make SUPER SNAKE WHEELS EVER AGAIN?

Message Just wandering if alcoa will make super snake wheels ever in the future. People will definity pay more for the wheels.

You should consider this.

Alcoa Wheels eNewsletter no

This inquiry originated from http://www.alcoa.com...tact_alcoa.asp? on 8/6/2012 8:49:56 PM

Privacy Statement:

http://www.alcoa.com...ral/privacy.asp

According to this email it looks like the ball is in SA court ? unless I'm missing something, I find it extremely unlikely Alcoa discontinued dura brite, if they did they have something in its place.

Every single contact at Shelby (The President is 3 feet from my office) has confirmed that Alcoa cancelled this program and DuraBright, too.

I HAVE to consider this dead. If someone from Alcoa says different, they can ring me or email me directly, I'm easy to find: JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com

Otherwise, we move on.

Jer

Every single contact at Shelby (The President is 3 feet from my office) has confirmed that Alcoa cancelled this program and DuraBright, too.

I HAVE to consider this dead. If someone from Alcoa says different, they can ring me or email me directly, I'm easy to find: JerG@ShelbyAmerican.com

Otherwise, we move on.

Jer

Quote from Alcoa's website 5 minutes ago.....

Alcoa currently offers a full portfolio of wheel surface choices that enhance the ownership experience. Wheel appearance, durability and maintenance advantages separate Alcoa wheels from the rest. While each of our aluminum wheels offer improved appearance and lower maintenance requirements over steel wheels, each Alcoa aluminum wheel also provides advantages over other aluminum wheels. From our innovative Dura-Bright® surface treatment to various polish level options, each Alcoa wheel stands the test of time while improving the look of your rig and lowering your operating costs.

Dura-Bright® Wheels

If you thought an everlasting shine meant high maintenance, think again.

Discover the no-polish, easy-maintenance way to bright, shiny wheels that stay that way. Because the Dura-Bright® production process penetrates the aluminum, these wheels keep their shine, even after hundreds of washes and thousands of miles – without polishing.

Since Dura-Bright® wheels rinse easily with mild soap and water, they eliminate the need for caustic cleaning products, further protecting the environment and reducing maintenance costs. Find out today how Dura-Bright® wheels can save you time and money, and get you back on the road faster.

Dura-Bright® Wheels Sell Sheet

I don't think Alcoa is abandoning aluminum wheels or their proprietary Dura-Bright finish any time soon. The trucking industry is (and has been for some time) moving to include more lightweight tempered / forged aluminum components in tractors and trailers to provide better fuel mileage and/or load capacity, and by extension, return on investment. Here is a current Kenworth T680 option. Maybe someone could photoshop this wheel onto a Super Snake... :drop:

http://www.kenworth.com/news/news-releases/2012/march/kenworth-proprietary-10-spoke-wheel-introduced-with-new-kenworth-t680.aspx

Otherwise, we move on.

Jer

Jer,

I don't understand why someone at Alcoa needs to contact you. You are their customer, and your customer base has let it be known there are orders to be filled. Why don't you contact Alcoa and post their response to you? The Durabright program does not look to be dead by all acounts of those who have done a preliminary investigation and you do not have to consider this dead. You can chose to, but you do not have to.....unless Shelby has a warehouse of the new styled SS wheels they have to move........

Guys, how much clearer can Jer make it? Alcoa stopped production because Shelby does not provide them with enough business to justify Alcoa committing the resouces. It seams pretty clear to me that it Shelby was able to purchase the wheels in the amounts and frequency that one of the big three might then I'm certain we would see the wheels. Think about the amount of wheels Ford might have made. We're talking upwards of tens of thousands of sets of wheels per year for multiple years. Can any honestly imagine Shelby committing to even 2500 sets of wheels a year for the next five years (and I'm betting that is too small an order for Alcoa to commit to.)? This is how the Ford and the like operate, Shelby America simply isn't big enough for Alcoa and as popular as the wheels are I don't see Shelby selling that many wheels a year. Now we are talking about Shelby committing the resources to store and protect that investment for much, much longer than can be justified as good business.

Jer sell 50 or 100 wheels of what you have left if there are more than that left. Or like I suggested before forget about Alcoa and have true forged make the same design wheel, it doesn't have to be Alcoa

Idk why everyone is so hung up with Alcoa doing this have true forged do it

Jer sell 50 or 100 wheels of what you have left if there are more than that left. Or like I suggested before forget about Alcoa and have true forged make the same design wheel, it doesn't have to be Alcoa

Idk why everyone is so hung up with Alcoa doing this have true forged do it

Agreed. Jer mentioned they have all the info needed to produce them again. Get True Forged to make them without Dura-bright but with optimal offset/spacing. You'd sell the same number of wheels you originally did because everyone would want a better fitting "Alcoa".

Posted Yesterday, 10:36 PM

Otherwise, we move on.

Jer

According to this email it looks like the ball is in SA court ? unless I'm missing something, I find it extremely unlikely Alcoa discontinued dura brite, if they did they have something in its place.

Took the liberty of calling Alcoa to find resolution, once and for all, with respect to these wheels.

Spoke with Steve at Alcoa. 734-634-4102.

Wheels were discontinued due to volume. Period.

It would be worth their while to make a run of 2-3 thousand wheels. They are very interested in the business. In fact so interested, Steve said he was going to call Shelby to see what could be done. He's amazed they are selling for 5K on ebay. Durabright technology is still going strong.

I would think it best for Shelby to list a price and take pre-paid orders with a cut off date. Not enough orders, it dies.

Time to put up or shut up gentlemen. :)

I'm in for 6 - a set and two spares.

I'd buy a set and 2 spares. Maybe even an entire 2nd set.

But that settles it this can be done, there is no excuse for why it can not.

Do a one more last run chance for alcoa wheels. Shelby should take orders WITH DEPOSITS have it go on for a couple months to gather orders and advertise it everywhere on every forum. And have alcoa make exactly how many are ordered with those deposits. That way shelby will sell every wheel made and can keep their spares for supersnakes or whatever they want to do with them.

And also to prevent lag time between deposits and delivery shelby can start using the wheels they already have in stock and can use the new ones made to replace their stock for super snakes. That way we don't wait months or how ever long it takes to make these new wheels since shelby already has many of them just laying around.

And shelby doesn't have to charge 500 per wheel like last time. Charge 600-700 if they want to make it more worth it and people will still buy them.

If shelby truly cares about all of us customers as they keep saying, they will make this happen, because there is no other product they sell that has this much demand. This is what they are known for and this is their most desired product.

Jer are you listening? ;)

SVT13

"And also to prevent lag time between deposits and delivery shelby can start using the wheels they already have in stock and can use the new ones made to replace their stock for super snakes. That way we don't wait months or how ever long it takes to make these new wheels since shelby already has many of them just laying around."

I do not think it's possible because of the difference between the SS and the regaular ones...

Nevertheless, winter is coming. If I wait six months to get my Alcoas it's OK with me.

Jer,

You are going to destroy your credibility by repeating this line.

I know for FACT that the Dura-Bright process is alive and well. By repeating the hym "Dura-bright is dead", you are just digging a hole you will soon not be able to climb out of.

The reasons for the discontinuation of the Shelby Alcoa wheels is very obviously a business decision on either Shelby's part or Alcoa's part but knowing what we (the public) knows, that the tooling is still intact and the process is still available, tells me that the possibility to manufacture Shelby Super Snake style Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels still exists.

Phill

Jer,

You are going to destroy your credibility by repeating this line.

I know for FACT that the Dura-Bright process is alive and well. By repeating the hym "Dura-bright is dead", you are just digging a hole you will soon not be able to climb out of.

The reasons for the discontinuation of the Shelby Alcoa wheels is very obviously a business decision on either Shelby's part or Alcoa's part but knowing what we (the public) knows, that the tooling is still intact and the process is still available, tells me that the possibility to manufacture Shelby Super Snake style Alcoa Dura-Bright wheels still exists.

Phill

Unfortunately, Phill is right.

If it's strategic or financial, just say it and it will end the whole story.

:lurk:

2-3K wheels is a lot of wheels and a lot of coin.....

Are there 500-750 interested buyers? We are talking in the neigborhood of $.5M or more investment by Shelby America and thats assuming there is roughly a 50% mark-up.

More power to you if can be made to happen. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all those interested.

SVT13

"And also to prevent lag time between deposits and delivery shelby can start using the wheels they already have in stock and can use the new ones made to replace their stock for super snakes. That way we don't wait months or how ever long it takes to make these new wheels since shelby already has many of them just laying around."

I do not think it's possible because of the difference between the SS and the regaular ones...

Nevertheless, winter is coming. If I wait six months to get my Alcoas it's OK with me.

Your right I completely forgot the super snakes say super snake on them

Archived