TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need Help with Syncro Test on the clutch/flywheel TSB!

blacksmoke

The help I need is actually again with the Clutch/Flywheel TSB for our 08 GT500

Testing my syncros for damage. No signs of the clutch/flywheel tsb that I can tell but question.

I do have hissing but from what you told me the kind I had was normal.

Here's what the ford TSB says to do:

Set parking brake.

Transmission in neutral.

Start engine and allow it to idle.

Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.

Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N-m) force for 2-3 seconds.

If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.

Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears.

If the transmission passes the synchronizer test, the transmission will not require additional service; proceed with clutch/flywheel replacement only. Refer to Clutch Replacement procedure.

If clash/grinding noise is found when performing the synchronizer diagnostic, the transmission will need to be repaired along with the replacement of the clutch. Refer to Transmission Repair procedure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So I did the test.

I hear no loud clash or loud grind like the loud grind when you miss a gear but I do hear a sound like rrrrrraaarrr. A slight noise.

It does get slightly louder the harder you push but does not get loud like when you miss a gear, and you hear the bad grinding noise.

This sound is more like a consistant sound until you stop the test.

But it is louder in first and second than the other gears.

I took it to the Ford guy I trust and he said it was just the metal on metal not letting my car go into gear because the clutch was not pressed.

He told me that if it was the sycro problem it would sound like when you miss gears.

I am asking others if they have this slight sound too or if there's is TOTALLY silent or what.

Would it sound literally like the gears were grinding if I had the problem or might I have it?

It is a consistent sound as long as you try pushing the stick in gear with the clutch un pressed and ebrake on. Like I said it does not sound horrible or quite like it does if you miss a gear bad. It is a reee sound.

Oh and if the radio was turned on you could not hear it unless the radio was at an almost unhearable level lol.

Trying to figure out if mine is safe and normal or if I have a problem.

Thanks!

From what you are saying the tranny is not damaged.

You need a new clutch system. The 2010 Ford factory system will fit our cars and that is what is being used in the most current TSB. Since your car might be considered out of warranty, you may have to pay for this yourself. It will cost you just under $1500 bucks to have Ford do the work if you have to pay for it. See the attached thread for the exact parts list that you will need. My wife and I just had this work done to her 2009 GT500 and my 2007 GT500. The difference is between night and day.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/

Hrm... My buddy who I had check it out seems to think the clutch and flywheel are still ok.

I really trust him as far as what he thinks because he has done LOTS of work for me including on the old 06GT we used to have.

The hissing I get is only when the clutch is in between in and out.

Other than that sound I cant find ANY more clutch and flywheel symptoms. (Wanted to do the syncro test just in case I did have the problem but was

not noticing the symptoms just because I missed them.)

Why do you think I need the new clutch and flywheel system right now?

I bought an extended warranty that my buddy said they would cover the TSB for when it came to that point.

He says he just does not want to get it apart without the symptoms, have everything ok.. then the manager look at it

which he says they usually do when they decide the TSB needs to be done, and see no signs of it and the manager then make me

pay for taking it down.

He said it would only be a matter of time till the TSB would need to be done given virtually all of them have this problem, but the warranty is good for another four years.

As far as the tranny noise I get... you are saying it is normal and all of them do this right?

Also... if there is another reason you think I need the clutch/flywheel TSB done now please let me know.

For example, symptoms I listed.

I have talked to you before about it and you seemed to think I was ok for now.

I had to create another account do to the fact I trashed my old email and forgot my password.

My old account name was Bsmoke.

We have spoke multiple times.

Again I've never had a clutch/flywheel TSB done. Its the original setup and it's an 08 with 7500 mi. on it.

And by the way... thanks for the help again!

Oh and P.S... what exactly WOULD the syncro problem sound like?

The TSB says grind/clash but the word grind can mean different things to different people.

Just wondering if it would be a huge noise like missing a gear.

Wondering the difference in the sound I get when I do the test and the sound of bad syncros.

Heya Grabber, you were helping me with a thread on the 4th revised TSB for the flywheel n clutch. I noticed u listed a part number change for the CYLINDER ASY - CLUTCH SLAVE -

Part #: DR3Z-7A508-A (was part# AR3Z7A508A)

But I noticed the clutch numbers were in fact different in your post you linked than the TSB. The number in your post was

CLUTCH ASY -

Part #: CR3Z7B546A

The TSB on the forth revision that u posted on another site said this:

AR3Z-7B546-A Clutch

These are both the same component right? If so which part number is correct?

Here's the link to the thread you had:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76365-clutch-drag-tsb-4th-revision-143818-if-you-have-to-pay-for-it/

Here's the link for the 4th revised TSB I believe you posted on another site

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?p=66400#post66400

Could you help clear this up for me? Thanks so much!

The help I need is actually again with the Clutch/Flywheel TSB for our 08 GT500

Testing my syncros for damage. No signs of the clutch/flywheel tsb that I can tell but question.

I do have hissing but from what you told me the kind I had was normal.

Here's what the ford TSB says to do:

Set parking brake.

Transmission in neutral.

Start engine and allow it to idle.

Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.

Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N-m) force for 2-3 seconds.

If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.

Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears.

If the transmission passes the synchronizer test, the transmission will not require additional service; proceed with clutch/flywheel replacement only. Refer to Clutch Replacement procedure.

If clash/grinding noise is found when performing the synchronizer diagnostic, the transmission will need to be repaired along with the replacement of the clutch. Refer to Transmission Repair procedure.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So I did the test.

I hear no loud clash or loud grind like the loud grind when you miss a gear but I do hear a sound like rrrrrraaarrr. A slight noise.

It does get slightly louder the harder you push but does not get loud like when you miss a gear, and you hear the bad grinding noise.

This sound is more like a consistant sound until you stop the test.

But it is louder in first and second than the other gears.

I took it to the Ford guy I trust and he said it was just the metal on metal not letting my car go into gear because the clutch was not pressed.

He told me that if it was the sycro problem it would sound like when you miss gears.

I am asking others if they have this slight sound too or if there's is TOTALLY silent or what.

Would it sound literally like the gears were grinding if I had the problem or might I have it?

It is a consistent sound as long as you try pushing the stick in gear with the clutch un pressed and ebrake on. Like I said it does not sound horrible or quite like it does if you miss a gear bad. It is a reee sound.

Oh and if the radio was turned on you could not hear it unless the radio was at an almost unhearable level lol.

Trying to figure out if mine is safe and normal or if I have a problem.

Thanks!

is this correct? "clutch engaged-pedal fully released"??

Ford changes the part numbers from year to year and there are still part numbers with the old 2007 parts out there so the purpose of my post was to give you the latest and greatest part numbers. That other post that you linked to is 2 years old, so ignore it and use my recent thread to buy or order your parts. The part numbers listed in this thread are the latest and greatest numbers and just went into my car:

http://www.teamshelb...-to-pay-for-it/

Bsmoke,

The syncro test if it fails will sound like a clashing of the gears. I don't know your buddy and that is irrelevant here. If your car shifts fine...leave it alone. If your car chadders when you let the clutch out and you are OK with it...leave it alone.

If you want a very smooth clutch system now...change it out.

as far as the extended warranty....read your book.........only the flywheel is covered and it does not cover the clutch and it would be hard pressed to get the flywheel covered. It also says that they do not cover parts that a "covered" part causes failure too.

Please Read your coverage book for details.

Thanks Grabber. I'm really considering getting the clutch and flywheel done now.

Btw does this mean I should give my tech buddy your list so he does not order the parts according to the 4th revised TSB?

You said they change the part numbers from time to time. Does that mean they are the same parts and just the numbers changed or they in fact ARE different parts?

Thanks Grabber. I'm really considering getting the clutch and flywheel done now.

Btw does this mean I should give my tech buddy your list so he does not order the parts according to the 4th revised TSB?

You said they change the part numbers from time to time. Does that mean they are the same parts and just the numbers changed or they in fact ARE different parts?

The 4th TSB has all the correct part numbers listed on it...except for the Slave cylinder. If the tech goes to order the parts off of the TSB Ford will give him the updated part numbers that have been cross changed. If you are paying for this your self...order the parts that I provided in the thread that is why I provided the thread.

Does that make sense or am I missing something here. :headscratch:

Grabber, in your last post I just noticed you said ford would provide the tech with all updated parts EXCEPT the slave cylinder. My tech ordered the parts today but is out of town for the weekend. Does this mean I need to notify him that the slave cylinder part number changed or I could get the wrong one?

And just to make sure is that clutch number difference just a number change from

Grabber, in your last post I just noticed you said ford would provide the tech with all updated parts EXCEPT the slave cylinder. My tech ordered the parts today but is out of town for the weekend. Does this mean I need to notify him that the slave cylinder part number changed or I could get the wrong one?

And just to make sure is that clutch number difference just a number change from

If you tech orders the parts listed on the TSB...the part number changes will automatically happen internally with in fords parts system. ford changes part numbers all the time but the parts stay the same. You will not get the wrong one if he orders off the TSB so you will be perfectly fine. The reason I changed to this 2010 clutch system is because I got tired of the clutch chatter and effort it took to manage it.

Parts should be in late this week. I imagine swap will be done on Friday or Monday by my trusted Ford tech that has always done awesome work on my vehicles and has done this swap numerous times. The man is great and I am exited to get it done, get the TSB problem solved, and feel the difference in the new clutch/flywheel combo!

Archived