TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lowering and alignment question

Afdharley

Installing some new suspension parts this weekend. New struts and shocks and eibach pro springs with MM c/c plates. Instructions with the c/c plates say an alignment is necessary after install.

What has been others experience with alignment? Can I expect it to be pretty close? Or way out?

You would be better off at a specialty shop if there is one close to you - If you like here is a suggested setting - use them if you choose - Negative 1.2 degrees camber , max positive caster on the right side with a half degree less on the driver's side ( to compensate for road crown ) and 1/16" total toe IN . That should give you good drive ability and handling with even tire wear.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the alignment done this morning. Either the shop doesn't know what they are doing or something else is up, because they could not get the specs you recommended to work. They said they would have to drill holes or some crap! At that point I said STOP. Just go with factory specs and I'll be fine.

It drives great and I'm happy with it as is. I'd like to find a shop that deals with these cars and see if they have a different opinion. But till then I'm good.

My shop said that 1 degree +/- would be worth $60 some odd $'s of Fast Cam bolts to fix it. But then he knows that I don't race or put all that many miles on it (said they would probably dry rot before the needed to be replaced). He felt that the small change would not cause much wear in the long run.

They tried to sell me some cam bolts also, along with the drilling. Something like $350 to get the specs albino500 recommended. I said no, just get me close.......it ended up at $78.

Drives great and I'm happy with the set up. Just not happy with that shop so I'll have to find another place for future use.

They tried to sell me some cam bolts also, along with the drilling. Something like $350 to get the specs albino500 recommended. I said no, just get me close.......it ended up at $78.

Drives great and I'm happy with the set up. Just not happy with that shop so I'll have to find another place for future use.

Afdharley - you did the right thing - there is no hole drilling bs needed to be done and getting the hell out of there was the best thing you could of done - $78. to get it in the ball park is fine for now and if it drives fine - leave it - just check your tire wear periodically .

They pull out the 'drilling' or 'elongating the strut bolt holes' BS because it's what the Ford Tech Manual calls for. With either the cam bolts or camber plates this is not be necessary if installed properly.

If there are any local tracks in your area give them a call and see if they can recomend a suspension and alignment shop. The guys that cater to track rats are the ones who now how to correctly set up your car for your driving needs. The dealer or any corner alignment shop only knows what some tech guide tells them.

Here's the specs after they did the alignment. If you guys see anything terribly wrong let me know. This is still all Greek to me.

Front Left.

Camber : -0.9*

Caster : 7.6*

Toe : 0.09*

Front Right

Camber : -1.7*

Caster : 7.2*

Front

Cross Camber : 0.8*

Cross Caster : 0.4*

Cross Toe : 0.18*

The right side camber is too much - what they should of done was loosen the 2 strut bolts on the right side and with the car in the air pulled out at the strut to take up any play in the holes and /or loosen the left side while the car was down on the rack to allow the weight of the car to push in thus giving you more negative camber on the left and less on the right . The toe is total toe not cross toe - the cross toe is zero - which is a little heavy but is ok and is toe in ( because it is a positive number - not negative which is toe out ). Question - what was the SAI readings for both right and left fronts ? The caster spread (or cross as mentioned here ) is going the wrong way ( the vehicle will have a tendency to go to the side with the least amount of caster) but is being compensated by the more negative camber of the right side . Overall one would question whether the front subframe is centered onto the unibody . SAI is a secondary angle and would verify this . Didn't you put on MM caster/camber plates already ?

Yes, MM c/c plates are on. When I told them that they looked at me witha blank stare.

SAI Left - 15.9*

SAI Right -15.6*

Cross SAI - 0.4*

And yes, I miss typed. It should be total toe of 0.18*.

So, do I need to find another shop and try again?

Yes, MM c/c plates are on. When I told them that they looked at me witha blank stare.

SAI Left - 15.9*

SAI Right -15.6*

Cross SAI - 0.4*

And yes, I miss typed. It should be total toe of 0.18*.

YES

The MM C/C plates offer enough adjustability to get the camber within spec. Sounds like the alignment tech just didn't know now to adjust the plates. Bring the instructions (see link) .. the tech should be able to figure it out.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/content/install/pdf/front_susp/Mm5CC-6.pdf

Here's the specs after they did the alignment. If you guys see anything terribly wrong let me know. This is still all Greek to me.

Front Left.

Camber : -0.9*

Caster : 7.6*

Front Right

Camber : -1.7*

Caster : 7.2*

Front

Cross Camber : 0.8*

Cross Caster : 0.4*

Cross Toe : 0.18*

The higher caster on the left might make the car tend to wander to the right side. The MM C/C provides some castor adjustability.

In case any of you have some interest - check out Rapid-Racer.com and click on the "suspension tuning" for some explanations/definitions . If you are thinking about getting tires/wheels for your car also look under the tire section. Some good info for ya. JMO

Archived