TEAM SHELBY FORUM

installing factory navigation in 2007 that has shaker 1000 HELP

I want to put factory nav in my car i think. I have a lifetime subscription to sirius and dont want to loose that, but i want navigation. I have the upgraded kicker shelby amp, kicker shelby sub. Yanked out the shaker 1000 great deal. I want to install factory nav does anyone know if this is plug and play i know you can have the shaker 1000 and navigation which that is no longer an issues. Any help would be great. thanks,

Jon

I have been thinking about doing this on and off for awhile. I have the 1000, it is possible with the right install person to have Nav and the 1000, I would like a factory Nav unit, have not found any reasonably priced, will most likely go with a double din and a good installer.

GG

I believe it is “mostly” Plug & Play.

I was researching this sometime in the past and came across this swap in another forum (I believe it was on a GT500). The guy did an excellent job, step by step, photos, etc.

The only hang up that I can remember had something to do with the head unit not recognizing the car (ie VIN). Sorry, little fuzzy on the details, it didn’t affect the operation of the system or anything, just some annoyances with lights and error codes in the diagnostic menu, but supposedly there is a way to “reprogram” the unit to correct all this.

I’m at work and don’t have the link handy, I’ll post it when I have access to my home computer.

Good grief I just went through the whole post, not sure if it is worth it. Need to make sure you have someone like the joint in Chicago that knows how to program when you change the car install. GG

I know what you mean. I'm looking to buy a SGT and for some reason many of the ones for sale in my area don't seem to come with NAV, that's why I was doing the research. After reading that post, I widened my search area. lol

I'm thinking after market is the way to go with a good installer....... GG

That's what I'm thinking. Maybe one of the better Pioneer units with Nav, bluetooth and XM radio and possibly a back up camera.

• 2 months later...

Hey the swap is really easy I just did it a few months ago. I have the shaker 1000 and swapped for the factory nav and its all plug in play but like posted the shaker 1000 won't work. I'm not sure if the Shelby system will end up working or not. My guess is yes because if I remember right it's compatible with the shaker 500 which is what the nav is. The programming is simple and takes all of 10 minutes. Just take it to your local ford and they should know how to do it. If you decide to do it you can pm me and I'll tell you how the ford guys can program it because some are idiots. Lol but def do the nav. I think stock is better because I just don't care for the look of aftermarkets

The Nav stereo unit will work with the Shelby/Kicker upgrade including the Kicker subwoofer option.

The Nav stero unit will NOT work with the Ford Shaker 1000 subwoofer.

I have the Ford Nav unit with the Shelby/Kicker upgrade. Huge improvement over the Nav unit and the Shaker 1000 unit.

Steve

The Nav stereo unit will work with the Shelby/Kicker upgrade including the Kicker subwoofer option.

I have the Ford Nav unit with the Shelby/Kicker upgrade. Huge improvement over the Nav unit and the Shaker 1000 unit.

Steve

Steve,

By chance does having the Ford Nav system get you the Sync Function?

Clearly would like to get to having the Sync so I could take calls when driving. Talented as I may be chewing bubble gum and whistling, I really stay off the phone having the manual transmission.

Based on comment and having only a Shaker 500, Nav sounds reasonable to do.

Tom

Steve,

By chance does having the Ford Nav system get you the Sync Function?

Clearly would like to get to having the Sync so I could take calls when driving. Talented as I may be chewing bubble gum and whistling, I really stay off the phone having the manual transmission.

Based on comment and having only a Shaker 500, Nav sounds reasonable to do.

Tom

My NAV unit is a 2007 model which is before the newer Sync radios.

If you are going from a Shaker 500 to a NAV unit, it is a truly plug n play upgrade.

Steve

My NAV unit is a 2007 model which is before the newer Sync radios.

If you are going from a Shaker 500 to a NAV unit, it is a truly plug n play upgrade.

Steve

I should add that the part of it being a plug n play upgrade only applies if the NAV unit is from another Mustang. If you purchase a NAV radio from another Ford model, say an Explorer, it will need to be reprogrammed by the dealership for optimal sound.

Also if you purchase a NAV radio from say a Mercury vehicle, the start up screen will have the Mercury waterfall logo and the not the Ford oval logo.

Best advice is to purchase the NAV radio from the same model vehicle you'll be installing it in, you'll avoid any reprogramming this way.

• 1 month later...

Steve

Does anyone know if a factory Nav unit would work in a 09 Shelby that has a Shaker 1000 if the subwoofer in the trunk is disconnected and not used?

Does anyone know if a factory Nav unit would work in a 09 Shelby that has a Shaker 1000 if the subwoofer in the trunk is disconnected and not used?

Yes it should. I can't recall if its as simple as unplugging the Shaker 1000 sub but its easily doable. If you do swap over to the Nav radio you can always add the Shelby/Kicker sub-woofer from SPP. Thats what I have in my SGT.

Steve

Steve

Steve,

Do you know why this is?

I've always wondered why the 1000 was a no-no with the electronics package. To warn you, I know SQUAT about stereos so you're talking to a true dummy.

To me, the only difference is one has 500 wt. output and the other has 1000 wt. output.

So why the HELL won't one work with the same equipment???

Just curious more than anything else,

Phill (the luddite) Pollard

EDIT: the pictures on the install work now:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/the-avic-d3-is-installed-lots-of-pictures.731487/#post-7258637

Ok, I found my Pioneer install thread, but the linked pictures are not working.

If you want to at least look at the album without the how-to info, here's a link.

If you have any questions about the install, let me know!

http://s19.beta.phot... and XM antenna

Steve,

Do you know why this is?

I've always wondered why the 1000 was a no-no with the electronics package. To warn you, I know SQUAT about stereos so you're talking to a true dummy.

To me, the only difference is one has 500 wt. output and the other has 1000 wt. output.

Not sure why but I do know that the NAV stereo is built by Pioneer. I'm guessing that the Shaker 500 & 1000 stereos are built by another company. Best guess is that its a compatibility issue.

Steve

I was looking into this for a while and finially went with a Pioneer 2 din Navi unit. Pioneer does make the radio's for Ford/Shaker & the factory Navi units, but the cable do not work with the regular Pioneer head unit. I will say this, it single handedly was the best choice I have met yet! With the right head unit, it wakes up the Shaker 1000 set up, and allows you the ability to control the sub woofers seperately with it's own volumn level control. I thought I was going to have to replace the entire set up in order to get the sound quality I wanted, but after the radio install, no need, what a difference, and I have Navigation and can add the sat. radio at anytime. Also, picked up direct connect and control of my i-pod, can add a reverse camera if I want to, etc. The sound quality and seperation of the sub's and built in eq is something you will never be able to pick up with any of the factory radio's. Oh, and with the riight kit, the installation looks 100% factory and flush with the interior, like it came like that...

PS, if anyone from FORD is on this site you should really look into this and make the correction from factory!!

Steve,

Do you know why this is?

The 2007-2009 and 2010+ Nav systems are two completely different animals. When I had my 2010 with nav, I looked into getting the whole Kicker/Shelby system. The Shaker 1000 on the 2010 physically differed from the Shaker 500/Nav in the that the 2010 Nav had the amplifier remotely mounted in the rear.

Archived