TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Purchased a Shelby Lancer

glhs0075

Yesterday I purchased Shelby Lancer #176. Now I'm working on getting her home, it's about 800 miles and one border away.

I'll post some pictures once I get the car home.

Congrats Stephen. Let us know how your border experience goes. Perhaps because of the Lancers age you'll be able to cross the border with minimal hassle.

Steve

The magic age number for Canada is 15 years. Pretty much anything can be imported once it's 15 years old or older.

US customs needs a copy of the title and bill of sale 72 business hours before crossing. (sent directly to the port I will be going through).

Canada customs will require I pay GST and air conditioning surcharge of $100 cdn.

...at least that's the plan! I'll respond back here and let you folks know how it goes. The seller has been extremely co-operative, so that helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lancer is now home in Calgary. It made the 800 mile trip with only minor issues: A slight shudder in the steering starting at +65 MPH, and the occasional no start situation after being shut down. Symptoms very like vapor lock. I'm suspecting a fuel pump that was believed to be good, just couldn't keep up with the torture of 100 degree weather and 800 mile drive. Non-functioning AC also resulted in driving with all three windows down (front passengers not working), which caused the sagging headliner to tear free and block rear visability. Headliner was routinely fixed at gas stops with duct tape!

US customs praised me for having all my paperwork in order. The only thing I missed was at the Canadian side. The bill of sale wasn't addequate as proof of payment, I paid Paypal and should have printed off a copy of my Paypal receipt. Whatever method of payment you use, bring some time of proof with you. It cost me about $230 CDN paid to CBSA for GST and the air conditioning surcharge.

Overall it was fairly easy and didn't cost too much. With my GLHS I paid a brokerage company to transport it and do all of this. Next time I'll do it myself again, it really wasn't very difficult, and not worth the fees the brokerage company charged me.

P8191536.jpg

P8191538.jpg

P8171485.jpg

P8191539.jpg

It needs paint, but the body is straight and rust free. The seller proved a new bumper cover that's in good shape. I also have the original front air dam, which will go back on the car once the new bumper cover is installed.

it looks mostly complete. Were you able to get the Shelby installed Pioneer CD player with it?

It is actually in very good shape and very complete. All four centre caps, dash plaque, Mobil 1 plaque (worn, but I have a new one) owners manuals, and yes... the DEX, are all there. The DEX isn't working, but it's there. Really all it needs is a fuel pump, the new bumper cover put on, and a paint job (and the DEX 77 fixed).

Larry, I'll be around. I've already had it out to Northern Mopars C.O.P. show on the 18th (won best project and longest distance) and the Camaro Clubs all make show at Deerfoot Mall on the 19th. Next Satruday is Mopars at the Mall in Red Deer, but with the fule pump issues I'll probably take the GLHS to that.

• 2 weeks later...

th_176Radio.jpg

Here is a picture of the Pioneer CD player.

I've managed to get the radio working, but not the display for it. I haven't tried the CD player yet, I'm happy as long as I can listen to my iPod through the FM receiver.

I spent some time earlier this evening replacing yellowed headlight sealed beams and cleaning dead bugs out from behind the headlight buckets.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Bruce, I pm'd you, and I'll keep my eyes open for an AMX. I know my buddy had one for sale, but that was about 10 years ago, pretty sure it's sold now! LOL

Maybe it's just because I haven't been looking, but now that you mention it, I can't think of having seen too many AMC's on the market these days.

I've dropped the gas tank on the Lancer. The job that I thought was going to be just the fuel pump and sending unit has turned into needing a whole new tank. The car sat for too long, and the inside of the tank is coated in crust and rust. My new Walbro 255 won't last too long in that environment, so a new tank is now on order from Rock Auto.

Got your email will look next weekend Im sure I have some good stuff for you I know I shave sales Lit and an extra press kit and extra PR shotos form when vehicle was new also have some production line pictures send me your pers email again and Ill scan photos to you Bruce

Send me email from your home email to work could not get yours to work will look this weekend and will dcan factory production line photos and roadtest will have my wife email next week. I will look this weekend I know I have sales lit PR photos and press kit will email you prices and I will pay for USPS Ins to your home.Too bad your not closer to WI if you are ever in area of Waukesha will take you on tour of Shelby farm!!! tons of stuff on diplay and in files Bruce

Archived