TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Horrible Shifting Mistake - Downshift to First

F150 Duke

All,

So I made the most egregious shifting mistake I think is possible. I do this drive twice a day and maybe 25% of the time get into the gas. I was in second gear getting onto a highway with a long entrance ramp. I am at 3/4th throttle and probably around 5k RPM, put in the clutch, took the shifter from second to third….but then something felt funny…I let out the clutch and BOOM….I’m in first gear.

Rear end hops to the right, traction control saves my butt, counter steer the rest of the side step. I instantly clutch in and shift to second. I didn’t have time to look at my RPMs, but I know they hit red. I hear what sounds like grenade cackles coming out of my exhaust pipes, maybe 4-5 explosions. Then I shift from second to fourth and fourth to sixth. No heavy acceleration all the way to the parking garage.

No check engine or other lights have turned on. Clutch felt normal the rest of the way shifting (limited) to work. Besides feeling like a moron, I don’t think anything else is hurt. Any advice on what I should keep an eye out for (sights and smells and not third gear)?

i'm no expert, but thank god for the rev limiter.. might have saved you in more ways than one!

Did some searching and it looks like the rev limiter only works on up shifts and not down shifts. Also did some google searches and it looks like if it's going to bend a rod or valve/piston damage, it's instantly and you run rough and have plenty of clunking sounds.

So I'm going to thank my lucky stars I wasn't at full throttle/redline in second going for third when I hit first.

I learned how to drive in a GT500 and I REALLY did a number on that car. After I got a handle on it, I drove 15 thousand miles in that car without a single hitch before we sold it and bought another. My point being is that you really can beat on the drivetrain and it will take it. Not long term, but here and there at first is ok.

Yeah so far so good, which means I must be in the clear. Did some heavy acceleration this morning 1-2 and 2-3 with no problems, lost boost or anything of that nature.

I'm thanking my lucky stars I wasn't past 4-5k when going from 2-3.

Glad for you that no damage happened....As for feeling STUPID I'm in that class also..I'm on the freeway and running a bmw from 3K rpm in 3rd gear. All is going the way it should and I go into 4th gear till redline and into 5th :drop: :drop: NO I PUT IT BACK INTO 3RD :drop: :drop: I lurched forward with the car AND INSTANTLY THRU INTO NEUTRAL :yahoo: :yahoo::yahoo: My body started shaking and I could not breath......I pulled over and turned car off ,,just sat there wondering how in hell could I have ever done this....After 20 mins or so I started the car up and all sounded well and good idle..Like you I went thru each gear slowly untill 4k rpm..All was well..After driving for 30 kms I went thru the gears up to 6k shifting slowly and firmly....All is well since...

i'm no expert, but thank god for the rev limiter.. might have saved you in more ways than one!

The rev limiter is useless in a case like that. The rev limiter works by cutting out injector pulses so the engine won't keep revving. With a downshift, the CAR is driving the engine, not the ignition so it's VERY possible to take the engine way beyond 10,000 rpm.

I worked at a dealer that sold a used MG. The customer blew the engine sky high in one day, came back and wanted a refund. Problem is, he admitted it blew when he downshifted the motor on a missed shift.

And like someone else said, if you damaged it, you would MOST likely know it by now.

Phill

+1...

Yeah, all of my manual cars (SGT, FGT, and others along the way) have what seems to be a 1st block if the car is moving or above a certain RPM. I've been rolling up to stop lights and wanted to go to 1st because of speed/rpm and it wouldn't let me; had to go to 2nd and use more engine than trans to keep things moving.

Yeah, all of my manual cars (SGT, FGT, and others along the way) have what seems to be a 1st block if the car is moving or above a certain RPM. I've been rolling up to stop lights and wanted to go to 1st because of speed/rpm and it wouldn't let me; had to go to 2nd and use more engine than trans to keep things moving.

All the high torque cars I've had in the past wouldn't allow you to go into 1st gear like that too.

I'd wonder if something was wrong w/ the shift mechanism to allow such a thing?

Archived