TEAM SHELBY FORUM

13's Flywheel Whirl

165MPHGT500

I hear what is best described as flywheel whirl. Most prominent during shifting with clutch disengaged. Of those that have taken delivery, is this common on your cars? I'm not complaining about the sound just intrested if others are hearing it.

Thanks, Jeff

PS: I think what Ford has done with the 13's exhaust sounds great. I love running her through the gears. :yup:

I hear what is best described as flywheel whirl. Most prominent during shifting with clutch disengaged. Of those that have taken delivery, is this common on your cars? I'm not complaining about the sound just intrested if others are hearing it.

Thanks, Jeff

PS: I think what Ford has done with the 13's exhaust sounds great. I love running her through the gears. :yup:

I am definitely hearing a whirl sound and now that you mention the flywheel as the possible culprit...makes sense. It's not really bad...just there!

There is a sound when you push the clutch in? Or a sound when you push the clutch in between shifts? When I shift I hear no sounds from the clutch I just hear sounds from my shifter. Well sometimes my shifter makes sounds other times its quiet and smooth. Depends on what it feels like doing at the time

Just got done putting an Airaid filter in place of the Factory air filter. The result the whirling sound got louder I now know its got to be the blower.

Yup that suckers pulling in some air for sure...glad you got to pin point the sound and it's not anything serious.

Yep it’s made it more audible. The factory air filter is very restrictive. I did not think it would make that much of a difference but it did in the blower sound. Next is resonator delete to see if that make the blower even louder. I my leave it alone it really about perfect now in the sound department.

This thread is too funny . You guys need to go out and but a luxury vehicle....the GT500 is a street legal purpose built performance vehicle your going to hear the trans , clutch, gears , engine and exhaust...get used to it or go buy a Lincon. sheesh

Actually...very much agree...it's a noisy street racer...

You are all full of crap. This car is as quiet as a Ford Fusion compared to the 08 Shelby GT500. But it does have some nice WOT sound.

OK...well with the windows down and the AC and radio off...it seems a bit load to me..sorry, did not mean to get you upset. The 08 must have been very load. My 2010 was much loader that my 04 Terminator...but was quieter that the 13.

My 2010 had a lot more NVH than my 2013. The 2010 is not even close to 2013 in interior quietness. I have had all the model years and going from the 2010 to 2011 was the biggest improvement in sound levels with the 2013 being the best so far with the windows up. On the highway the 13 does not have near the tire noise that the 2010 had. With the windows down this car is perfect in the sound department and 662 horsepower does not make for a quiet motor which it should not be. Put your windows up if you want quiet. I do not want Ford changing the sound because someone thinks it too loud with the windows down, this is the first car I have had were the exhaust is perfect at least to me.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a 2013 GT500 last month, drove it back from the out of state dealer. First 250 babied it, like the manual suggested, has about 1900 mi on the clock now. Around 1000 mile is started making this whirling / howl noise. I suspect superchargeer as well. After driving it daily I have pinpointed the issue to coincide with the temp of the car. Within 5 minutes of the car reaching operating temp, it starts. Before then the thing sounds just glorious, zero moan/howl. It follows the RPM in or out of gear so not tranny but is tied to the motor/ blower. Loudest at 1800-3k rpm - typical the most common range :-(

And it just makes the car sound like it's wheezing if that makes sense, almost like an old school clutch on a radiator fan that is stuck on engaged and the fan spins at the motor rpm and rrrreeeeeeerrrrrrr sound following it. Also noticed that my car, "using the digital readout", only produces 10-11psi once in a rare while it will hit 12psi. Not sure if that is a relation to 91octane pulling boost or timing etc or not but just in case I dropped a 1/2 tank of 100octane in there and no difference. What boost levels have you seen?

Car is 100% stock unmodified, never seen a track or abuse. My gut says faulty supercharger, I had an 04 Cobra brand new that only built 4-5psi, of course the dealer said "those guages just aren't accurate, no worries" sure enough another dealer replaced the blower and tada 8psi, bum eaton on a new car. But what I cannot determine is why the sound is 100% gone for the first 20min of driving then magically appears at temp like clockwork every day. Car has the SVT Package and Track pack. Assuming something electronic happens at temp that engages a pump, bypass valve, maybe blower rotors expand with heat, not sure. I know the track pack pump for the tranny is always on with no thermostat, and the rear diff pump only activates when it hits something like 180degrees which would be impossible for me driving to work at 40mph.

Sorry if this is not he same problem/sound you are all talking about. Any insight would be appreciated before I take it in.

Idk about this problem since I don't think my car has mine but as far as the boost gauge to get it to read boost you REALLY have to floor it. I thought my boost guage was broken because I couldn't get the needle to go from vacum to boost but if your hit the throttle suddenly 75% or floor it then it will do it. But if you do it gradually you may get like 1 or 2 pounds of boost. Idk if that is just a characteristic of a supercharger. This is my first supercharged car.

Also noticed that my car, "using the digital readout", only produces 10-11psi once in a rare while it will hit 12psi. Not sure if that is a relation to 91octane pulling boost or timing etc or not but just in case I dropped a 1/2 tank of 100octane in there and no difference.

Gotta remember since your in Utah your elevation is probably 4500 feet or so. You only have a bout 85% the outside air pressure people at sea level have so you boost will be lower. 12 PSI sounds about right. I'm in Salt Lake City and I see 12-12.5 psi for my max. Octane will not effect boost pressure.

Excellent point, I totally forgot about that. The atmosphere would surely effect boost pressure. So it sounds like a non-issue. If you factor in the air pressure it would be equivalent. Well if anyone has any input on this whirring sound I'm all ears.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have the sound looked at along with a new development "fault" message on my shocks, they stick in sport mode and if you hit the button to go to normal it puts a "Fault" txt message under the shock icon and it remains in sport. I will post up the findings to help others if they determine the problem. Higher technology and horsepower only creates more opportunity for more issues, but damn I love everything about this car, so it's worth it to me to work out the kinks as an early adopter.

Thank you very much for your input, team shelby is and has always been a valuable resource to me.

Gotta remember since your in Utah your elevation is probably 4500 feet or so. You only have a bout 85% the outside air pressure people at sea level have so you boost will be lower. 12 PSI sounds about right. I'm in Salt Lake City and I see 12-12.5 psi for my max. Octane will not effect boost pressure.

Archived