TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top Secret Shelby Project

CaitlinC

Pg 16 from the Sept 2012 issue of Mustang Monthly with an Interview with John Luft about "The Future of Shelby":

"A case could be made that we could look at a track-only Dragonsnake"...

Saw that today. Maybe I AM on to something!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about Fiberglass fender/hood to lighten the car. Kind of like what ford did on the 69-70 Shelbys. Mabey way off but I have never been good at the "guessing" game.

My guess would be a dedicated road course race car that would certainly not be street legal. Setup to compete in NASA or SCCA.

I hope its not a Shelby NASCAR car.

I have been asking Gary Patterson for years that Shelby should build a True road course racer.

Here's another peek for you all.

post-35504-0-67838000-1344898108_thumb.jpg

I already guessed the fender mold correctly (see the Facebook page comments).

Hmm, so...Shortened wheelbase.

Either you're trying to get more weight to the rear or your getting ready to put some BIG AZZ slicks on it. Both tell me "Drag Racer".

Phill

Either you're trying to get more weight to the rear or your getting ready to put some BIG AZZ slicks on it. Both tell me "Drag Racer".

Phill

Wouldn't need or want brake ducts for a drag racer...to much drag..... :)

2014 GT350 prototype with the 1969 retro look??

That would be one nice looking car, and the last of an era. (05'-14')

It is starting to wind down boys. The good old days are right now.

Phill

You need wide Tires for SCCA as well. Put in a wider Rear End to push the Wheel Centers out an Inch or two to give you a Wider Trac to help stick the Car to the ground in the Turns.

2014 GT350 prototype with the 1969 retro look??

That would be one nice looking car, and the last of an era. (05'-14')

It is starting to wind down boys. The good old days are right now.

Hasn't this already been tried???

13.jpg

You need wide Tires for SCCA as well. Put in a wider Rear End to push the Wheel Centers out an Inch or two to give you a Wider Trac to help stick the Car to the ground in the Turns.

I'm not referring to WIDER tires, I'm talking about the way the new (fiberglass) wheel well is set about 6" forward of the OE well.

Look at the distance from the door jamb to the front of the wheel well opening and you'll see it is less on the glass fender than it is on the steel body.

Phill

I'm not referring to WIDER tires, I'm talking about the way the new (fiberglass) wheel well is set about 6" forward of the OE well.

Look at the distance from the door jamb to the front of the wheel well opening and you'll see it is less on the glass fender than it is on the steel body.

Phill

The angle at which the photo was taken is creating an illusion. The wheel well is not moved forward, its been moved out, the entire quarter panel is flared and there does appear to be a provision for a pocket/scoop at the top/front of the quarter panel as was on the '69.

Let's pray the finished product looks better than this; :barf:

post-24566-0-69237600-1344967867_thumb.jpg

The angle at which the photo was taken is creating an illusion. The wheel well is not moved forward, its been moved out, the entire quarter panel is flared and there does appear to be a provision for a pocket/scoop at the top/front of the quarter panel as was on the '69.

Let's pray the finished product looks better than this; :barf:

Actually, that is a Flared Quarter Panel place on to a Stock Quarter Panel.

But this one will be a Shelby.

You mean hugely expensive?

With Carroll's passing, the number 2013 GT500 must be doing on Shelby's future Performance business and the huge number of far more affordable aftermarket suppliers (many from which "Shelby" parts are sourced and laser laser engraved), I'm not surprised S/A is trying to diversify into products like this, especially with the S197 slated to go away.

The new generation is likely to be far more screwed shut at the source like EcoBoost, evidenced by the relatively few vendors that are able to add much if any value or performance. I also suspect the new generation of "non retro" cars with less of an overall traditional American design sensibility probably won't help S/A in terms of drawing new business from younger buyers who are much less familiar with the whole CS culture.

They're going to need projects like this that appeal to those most likely to want to go even further retro - but with Navigation.

Yes, the Retrobuilt cars are licensed through Shelby, but I don't believe that is something that SAI would be building from the factory. I guess it could be, but I highly doubt it. I will just keep checking out the pics as they come and see what comes out at the end.

Archived