TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Top Secret Shelby Project

CaitlinC

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was one prototype Boss 302 engine Shelby GT 350 in 1969. Which was extremely unusual since Shelby was no longer producing the Shelby Mustangs. Rather it was a Ford project as CHS bowed out after the 67 model year. Then Ford took over design and production. Shelby was completely out at that time and had even sold the trademark Cobra to Ford. That is why Shelby still can't use the Cobra for a sales model.

Sometime after that CS went to Africa .

Shelby Licensing settled the use of the Cobra names many years ago and uses it on the Cobra roadsters out of Las Vegas. SVT no longer notes the Cobra name on the Ford Mustangs(like the GT500) but can use a Cobra logo.

B)

by Krezzy on September 5th, 2006

Term origin

The Skunk Works logo as seen on one of Lockheed Martin's hangars.The term "Skunk works" came from the then-popular Al Capp comic strip Li'l Abner, which was popular in the 1940s. In the comic, the "Skonk Works" was a backwoods still operated by Big Barnsmell, known as the "inside man at the Skonk Works." In his secret facility, he made "kickapoo joy juice" by grinding dead skunks and worn shoes into a smoldering vat.

The original Lockheed facility, during the development of the P-80, was located downwind of a malodorous plastics factory. According to Ben Rich's memoir, an engineer showed up to work one day wearing a Civil Defense gas mask as a gag. To comment on the smell and the secrecy the project entailed, another engineer, Irving Culver, referred to the facility as "Skonk Works". One day, when the Department of the Navy was trying to reach the Lockheed management for the P-80 project, the call was accidentally transferred to Culver's desk. Culver answered the phone in his trademark fashion of the time, by picking up the phone and stating "Skonk Works, inside man Culver". "What?" replied the voice at the other end. "Skonk Works" Culver repeated. The name stuck. Culver later said at an interview conducted in 1993 that "when Kelly [Johnson] heard about the incident, he promptly fired me. It didn't really matter, since he was firing me about twice a day anyways." [1]

At the request of the comic strip copyright holders, Lockheed changed the name of the advanced development company to "Skunk Works" in the 1960s. The name "Skunk Works" and the skunk design are now registered trademarks of the Lockheed Martin Corporation.[2]

Hope I Helped!

Read more: What is the origin of the name "Skunk Works" ? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/27603#ixzz22YO6pqDd

Skunk works being a registered trademark is what I had said in post 22. But there is more to the story. They were looking for a location to do their super secret work but did not want to attract attention. If they had a regular hangar and offices they would have had to post armed security guards around the place and that makes people wonder even more what was inside. So they hid the location. They hid the location in plain sight. Yes there was a location with a terrible odor present and everyone avoided the area. Problem solved. Worked in secrecy, in plain sight, without attracting attention.

I'm guessing a Boss 302 powered GT350 R setup to go racing. Look at the Rims I've seen similar ones before on certain race cars in the 60's

I'm guessing a Boss 302 powered GT350 R setup to go racing. Look at the Rims I've seen similar ones before on certain race cars in the 60's

Pic not showing a "factory" BOSS 302 chasis... Stock rear calipers on all BOSSes come painted BLACK (same as GT500)... But we do need another couple of :camera: to keep us interested...

Hmmm...Big Fenders + Super Snake production= New Age Dragon Snake!!!!

(Hey, a guy can dream, right?)

Pg 16 from the Sept 2012 issue of Mustang Monthly with an Interview with John Luft about "The Future of Shelby":

"A case could be made that we could look at a track-only Dragonsnake"...

Hey guys! Here's another picture of our secret Shelby project to peak your interests!

3_5.jpg

Oh it looks like someone at shelby america had a fender bender and they are having a secret repair, ah ha I found out!

Archived