TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Need some help and advice

I saw this ad on craigslist for a 4.6 Aluminum block. First off the price of $400 has my attention, and gets me wondering the story behind it. Needless to say, I will be in contact with the seller to get the back story. Secondly, I have no idea what the codes are on the block and if it's the aluminum block for our model years. Could anyone shed some light on this for me? I just don't understand why the price is so low if it 'does not appear to have been run.' If I go and look at it, what should I look for and what questions should I ask? One will definitely be why has it been painted green.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/pts/3171138340.html

From the casting code, 1L2E , it appears to be a 2001 - 2004 that came with the Romeo PI heads, it probably was a truck engine. The W stamped above the casting code indicates it is block from the Windsor engine plant which stopped making blocks for Mustangs in 2000. Romeo engines were used in 2001 and later. Hope this helps.

From the casting code, 1L2E , it appears to be a 2001 - 2004 that came with the Romeo PI heads, it probably was a truck engine. The W stamped above the casting code indicates it is block from the Windsor engine plant which stopped making blocks for Mustangs in 2000. Romeo engines were used in 2001 and later. Hope this helps.

Yes, very much. Thanks!

looks to be an NVH block. its a variation of the WAP block. let me dig out my books to confirm this.

EDIT: . i would stay away from this block unless your not going to push the limits. WAP blocks arnt very strong and have a tendency to split at higher HP levels(650 RWHP), also you can get teksids for cheaper then this. i got mine for 200. additionally the block in your Shelby GT right now is the strongest 4.6 aluminum block ford has ever made. eclipsing even the mighty teksid in strength.

EDIT 2: cant find my books so i cant get all the identification cues but i do remember the NVH blocks have a thicker pan rail and the ribs are slightly bulkier. the pictures dont show a great angle but it looks like is a normal WAP not an NVH block

Archived