TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010+ Shelby Billet Fuel Door

2010-2013 Shelby Billet Fuel Doors

S10M-2301-C-3.jpg

2010-2013 Shelby GT500 Version: Available in black or aluminum. More here.

Does this still retain the cap-less fill feature or do I need to buy a locking cap from Ford?

I'll click on the link, maybe it tells me there....

Phill

Does this still retain the cap-less fill feature or do I need to buy a locking cap from Ford?

I'll click on the link, maybe it tells me there....

Phill

Stock cap

Robert, I hope they made at least two of these because I just clicked and ordered one. B)

Yes, we have a good stock of them :)

Stock cap

I don't understand. On the 2010+ the door *is* the cap. I looked at the inst. sheet and it doesn't really say if the installer is supposed to take the sealer part of the OE door and transfer it to the SPP door, only that a "locking cap CAN be used".

I have a locking cap I transfer from my Raptor to my Shelby when on trips but in general, I don't use the locking cap on the Shelby. The door seals the fumes and spills from staining the side of my car.

Does your door act the same as the OEM door? That is, by sealing the fumes/gas?

It's a GREAT looking item and I'm real interested in the gloss black version (NOT the nude Al) but it has to seal for me to buy it...Or use the OE seal somehow.

TIA,

Phill

Correct, the 2010+ doesn't use a cap - the door is the cap. This product retains that feature, however, you can still use a locking cap if you like - and it's compliant.

Thanks.

P

Phil,

As an FYI for you, I don't think you can use the rubber seal from the stock door. A few months ago, I installed the SHR version of this door (plain black) on my 2010. I didn't see a way of using the stock seal without making a mess of things and I don't think it is necessary. But, to be on the safe-side, I installed the Ford locking gas cap (Ford calls it a plug) when I installed the new door.

--KLG--

Phil,

As an FYI for you, I don't think you can use the rubber seal from the stock door. A few months ago, I installed the SHR version of this door (plain black) on my 2010. I didn't see a way of using the stock seal without making a mess of things and I don't think it is necessary. But, to be on the safe-side, I installed the Ford locking gas cap (Ford calls it a plug) when I installed the new door.

Hmm. That's not good. Robert said they were "complaint" which I assumed to mean smog compliant, as in it won't set off a Malfunction Indicator Lamp/MIL because your EVAP system tests the gas cap seal.

I have the Ford locking caps on my cars but I rarely use it on my Shelby since it's always in the garage or within eyesight. I'm not so sure it seals off the filler tube anyway, rather than just keeps people out of it. I always thought the door seal is what sealed the *fumes* but the cap will absolutely stop sloshing gas in the filler.

You didn't say you got a MIL so I assume all is well with your install?

In California, part of the smog check includes a visual AND functional test of your filler cap. No seal, no smog cert!

I wonder if this product is smog legal now.....

Phill

Phil,

I installed this fuel door several months ago and all is good.

No MILs from day one.

I also hooked up my SCT and confirmed no DTCs.

It is a nice product. I recall seeing a notice somewhere that SHR and SA have partnered.

Also, on the the Ford capless system, the seal is actually in the filler tube. I only installed Ford's locking plug as a little more insurance that nothing would get into that area. You are correct, the locking plug (cap) is not a seal.

Our doors come with a new gasket. We haven't seen or experienced any issues.

Thanks Robert. That's what I've been trying to find out (gasket/seal?).

Phill

Our doors come with a new gasket. We haven't seen or experienced any issues.

So this kit is a little different than the SHR version? The SHR version does contain what is called a gasket, but that gasket is used to secure the filler neck into the car body after the original door assembly is removed. I may have to purchase the SA version after I see some feedback from those who install the SA version of this door.

Thanks for the information.

Are the black doors anodized black? If so I hope they are anodized better than the black anodized reservoirs. A week after they were on, they were already turning like a brown or bronze color. Didn't stay black very long. Would be thinking about getting this fuel door but that would be my main concern is that the black won't stay black for long.

Are the black doors anodized black? If so I hope they are anodized better than the black anodized reservoirs. A week after they were on, they were already turning like a brown or bronze color. Didn't stay black very long. Would be thinking about getting this fuel door but that would be my main concern is that the black won't stay black for long.

I was thinking about this as well Tyler, thanks for bringing this up since Id be pissed if I buy black and it changes color. For a cost of 155.00 would someone from Shelby confirm this?

Im hoping they are powder coated black because those fuel doors actually look really nice. But I don't know if you really looked at the reservoirs on the car yet but the one the passenger side is really like brownish bronzish. They still look good but was expecting them to be black at least for awhile.

Are the black doors anodized black? If so I hope they are anodized better than the black anodized reservoirs. A week after they were on, they were already turning like a brown or bronze color. Didn't stay black very long.

You're not alone.

Blackouts Super Snake IC degas bottle (reservoir) turned purple. Not both of them (radiator & IC), just the IC tank.

I know how to anodize and what that tells me is the part wasn't left in the tank long enough.

Shelby doesn't anodizes their own parts so whoever their vendor is (for their tanks) needs to step it up and get with the program.

Phill

You're not alone.

Blackouts Super Snake IC degas bottle (reservoir) turned purple. Not both of them (radiator & IC), just the IC tank.

I know how to anodize and what that tells me is the part wasn't left in the tank long enough.

Shelby doesn't anodizes their own parts so whoever their vendor is (for their tanks) needs to step it up and get with the program.

Phill

Yea that's what I was reading when I was doing some research on why that happened. Is just like you stated the product wasn't left in the tank long enough. It's just ashame especially when your paying $770+ for those reserviors and they are right out in front of the engine bay. I'm not sure but wouldn't powdercoating be the way to go? Seems like it holds up better than anodizing unless the anodizing is done properly.

Well after reading Silver Horse's description of their fuel doors, which I assume is where Shelby gets theirs, is that they are black anodized. The difference being, is that they may anodize theirs better than whoever anodized the Shelby reservoirs. So they may not turn purplish after a week.

Archived