TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2010+ Shelby Billet Fuel Door

Well I guess Ill call them tomorrow. Wonder if anyone's actually bought one of these here on the forums that can answer this question.

Phil,

I installed this fuel door several months ago and all is good.

No MILs from day one.

I also hooked up my SCT and confirmed no DTCs.

It is a nice product. I recall seeing a notice somewhere that SHR and SA have partnered.

Also, on the the Ford capless system, the seal is actually in the filler tube. I only installed Ford's locking plug as a little more insurance that nothing would get into that area. You are correct, the locking plug (cap) is not a seal.

KLG's response was good enough for me

Phil,

As an FYI for you, I don't think you can use the rubber seal from the stock door. A few months ago, I installed the SHR version of this door (plain black) on my 2010. I didn't see a way of using the stock seal without making a mess of things and I don't think it is necessary. But, to be on the safe-side, I installed the Ford locking gas cap (Ford calls it a plug) when I installed the new door.

--KLG--

Do you have any pics of this fuel door installed on you car? Thanks

Yea that's what I was reading when I was doing some research on why that happened. Is just like you stated the product wasn't left in the tank long enough. It's just ashame especially when your paying $770+ for those reserviors and they are right out in front of the engine bay. I'm not sure but wouldn't powdercoating be the way to go? Seems like it holds up better than anodizing unless the anodizing is done properly.

As part of my College Manufacturing Process courses we learned how to anodize Aluminum. It's a really simple process and there's really no reason to charge a part less than needed. It's only time, and a little electricity so the cost is nill. The longer you leave the item in the tank with a electrical charge on it, the darker it will be. Yellow/Gold is the least amount of time, Black is the longest. The part turns; Yellow, Gold, Orange, Red, Blue, Purple, Black. Orange, Red, Purple (etc) are all determined by the amount of TIME in the tank, not by the color of the dye.

I know it's not Shelby's fault that the cooling system bottles are losing color but someone really REALLY needs to get that taken care of. I was SO disappointed for Blackout when I saw his...I mean, he spent a TON of money on that car and it just cheapened the look so badly (it wasn't the only problem though).

As for Powder coating vs. Anodizing. A BIG advantage you have with anodizing is that it gives the Aluminum part a hard surface. A *good* anodizing job on a *good* quality aluminum part is damn near bullet proof. The "gloss" on a anodized part is entirely due to the part being polished, or not.

Powder coating is essentially a paint job but much more durable. Regardless of claims, it CAN be damaged fairly easily. Powder coating uses a negative electrical charge (MUCH like anodizing) to draw the positively charged powder ("paint") to the surface and attach itself to the surface and then it is baked on, kind of like ceramic on clay.

Over time, powder coating can scratch and dull from cleaning (rough rags, abrasive cleaners, etc.) where as anodizing...well, GOOD anodizing won't. And make no mistake about it, there are different qualities of powder coating too. Much of its quality is dependent on oven time and temperature. I've seen motorcycle frames (Harley-Davidson) differ from batch to batch with one batch that scratched by looking at it and another batch that you could hit with a hammer and not chip it.

Phill

So KLG your 100% satisfied with this product, it is still black to you with no bronzy or purplish discoloring?

I installed this door in early April this year and yes, satisfied.

Even under the southern Nevada sun, the door color looks good.

My car is only driven on nice days and spends all of its down time in the garage under a car cover, so I can't speak to weathering effects over time.

Got my tracking info and it scheduled for delivery today. Should be able to install it tomorrow and will post pics when done.

Edit: They didn't leave it at my front office like they usually do when I'm not home so have to go pick it up after work tomorrow night.

Okay, I installed my today. Very easy, make sure you download the instructions listed on the website since there were none in the box. Very nice and well made item, I like it. Below is a link with pictures I took as I did the install: http://rides.webshot...583196644nZtLoo

2087474740015448580MWgIrg_th.jpg

Okay, I installed my today. Very easy, make sure you download the instructions listed on the website since there were none in the box. Very nice and well made item, I like it. Below is a link with pictures I took as I did the install: http://rides.webshot...583196644nZtLoo

Looks good on your car. Thanks for the pics...

Man, I gotta tell ya, if I was still a California Smog Tech I'd fail that car on the visual and functional inspection for the EVAP system.

You removed the seal (see the original door pic) that keeps HC fumes from escaping into the atmosphere (and retains them in the EVAP canister).

Do you guys have a Smog Check program in SC? If you do, go to Ford and get one of their locking caps for the capless fill system. Even it's not "technically" legal but I'll bet it would fool 90% of the Techs out there.

Phill

Man, I gotta tell ya, if I was still a California Smog Tech I'd fail that car on the visual and functional inspection for the EVAP system.

You removed the seal (see the original door pic) that keeps HC fumes from escaping into the atmosphere (and retains them in the EVAP canister).

Do you guys have a Smog Check program in SC? If you do, go to Ford and get one of their locking caps for the capless fill system. Even it's not "technically" legal but I'll bet it would fool 90% of the Techs out there.

Phill

I was going to install mine regardless but I emailed SHR 5 minutes ago asking about this and already got a reply...

Jason,

The seal that you are referring to is not an emissions seal, it is a dust seal. The emissions system ends at the tank neck, the “capless” neck is the end of the emissions controls. Vehicles can be driven without a fuel door at all without causing any adverse effects on the computer controlled emissions. No codes will be tripped by changing your door.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Marcello Canitano

Owner, SilverHorse Racing

(321)-722-2813

and a 2nd reply

I’m surprised people don’t realize that this question was asked a long time ago, and we’ve been selling them for over 2 years now, plus, if it was a problem, Shelby would not have been interested in having us make them for them.

I was going to install mine regardless but I emailed SHR 5 minutes ago asking about this and already got a reply...

Jason,

The seal that you are referring to is not an emissions seal, it is a dust seal.

Ah, that helps. And it makes sense too because there is a drain hose exposed to the atmosphere that drains fuel if you over fill, on the "sealed" side of the cap.

But having said that, I personally have had gas spill down my quarter panel from leakage at the cap! I fill mine to the brim when I'm on the road so it's *FULL* when it spills. And YES, before anyone says it; I know you're not supposed to top off your tank (it's actually illegal in at least one state I know of!) and I don't if I'm not going to be driving for some miles after I fill upo. When I fill it up before heading home, it DOES NOT get topped off. That's a recipie for a garage/car fire so please don't anyone do it~

Someone else already said there is a seal in the neck but I never went and checked. I haven't been doing smogs in a long time so I've haven't kept up on the newest/latest/greatest testing procedures and things DO change. We actually had a device we tested the fuel cap and gas tank seal with in California.

As for SHR's contention that Shelby wouldn't be interested if there were a "problem"...Ehh, I wouldn't go so far as characterizing it as "a problem" and just because it might not pass smog in CA doesn't mean it won't pass in some other state. CA is the most stringent and it wouldn't be the first item I've seen for sale that wasn't marketed as 49-State legal, but was pretty obviously not legal in CA.

Regardless, it sounds like SHR addressed any potential issues with the EVAP system and besides, I don't live in CA anymore so I'm not gonna worry about it! <lol>

Phill

• 2 weeks later...

You're a good salesman!!! I wasn't sure that the black would look all that great on that much silver but it looks great. I'll be ordering them for my cars!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone found anything close for an 07?

These are in stock for 2005-2009, in Clear Anodized or Black. Shelby logo or GT500 logo.

Jer

• 1 month later...

Installed....very easy. It looks great!post-33685-0-23469500-1349896054_thumb.jpgpost-33685-0-08051100-1349896055_thumb.jpg

Is it powdercoated or painted?

I was thinking about having one painted Kona Blue with the left-over paint from my quarter window scoops.

Phill

Archived