TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch drag TSB 4th revision - $1,438.18 if you have to pay for it

Grabber

We found out that the flywheel we got from Tasca was the right one. At this point we dont know what is causing the problem...I think it might be the transmission but my mechanic doesn't think it is. He thinks if I would have gotten th 2008 clutch set up then it would have probably worked. It is just frustrating!

We found out that the flywheel we got from Tasca was the right one. At this point we dont know what is causing the problem...I think it might be the transmission but my mechanic doesn't think it is. He thinks if I would have gotten the 2008 clutch set up then it would have probably worked. It is just frustrating!

The 2010 clutch and flywheel set up works great in the 2007 - 2009 GT500's. Your Mech. is wrong.

At this point you may have to take the car to a Ford Dealership and have a Senior Master Tech that is familiar with these cars inside and out repair it. The Tranny is not easy to work on.

• 3 weeks later...

So here I am, just past the 10K mark on my 2007 GT500, with the TSB replacement version 2 or 3 (work done in August 2009 at 4,942 miles) and my car will not shift at all with the ignition on! I am thinking it is the flywheel or the slave cylinder that has failed. When the car is not running, shifting is fine so I assume not the transmission. I can put in gear with engine off and it will move in 1st or reverse. However, clutch will not DISENGAGE.

Car was bought 4/2007 so I am out of even the extended drive train warranty, but the car laste 5,000 miles on the TSB clutch! I think this is pretty crappy. I am going to take into a ford dealership and complain and see what I can get. I am going to go with the 2010 stock assembly.

Any hints on getting something from Ford around this would be great...

Thanks,

Kimbray

Just want to say that I finally took my car to Ford and they replced all the 2010 clutch parts with new ones and installed them. Ended up paying a little more money but it was well worth it, the car is a Dream to drive now!!!

Thank you for all the help and advise Grabber and everyone else!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Grabber,

Thanks for all the great info here.

I just had my 2009 done and it was covered under the extended warranty.

They used all the parts you listed here and the tech did an excellent job and treated it like it was a 200K car.

I'm very happy and I can't believe how much nicer the clutch is now, Its like a different car.

Best mod yet.

Hey Grabber,

Thanks for all the great info here.

I just had my 2009 done and it was covered under the extended warranty.

They used all the parts you listed here and the tech did an excellent job and treated it like it was a 200K car.

I'm very happy and I can't believe how much nicer the clutch is now, Its like a different car.

Best mod yet.

That is great news Alan. I know exactly how you feel. Totally different car indeed !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob, We met in PHX a few years ago with Ivan-6Speed. My 07 vert was mfg in Feb 07. When the car had barely 2000 miles on it I started getting a grind when getting on it while going into second gear. The TSB I had done was a tranny rebuild for new syncros, the hardened input shaft, a new steel flywheel and a dual disc ceramic clutch. My Master Mech at the time said second gear was serviceable but he could see that it had been grinding so he put in a new second gear anyway since the car was so new. (I probably ground second about ten times or so.) I haven't driven the car much and only have about 7000 miles on it now. But I have ground second about a dozen times or so now and it doesn't seem to happen only while really pushing the car real hard and wheel spinning anymore. How do I know if my tranny needs to be opened up for new syncros and if second gear should be changed again? Thanks, Mark

Edited by SkyPilot

Hi Rob, We met in PHX a few years ago with Ivan-6Speed. My 07 vert was mfg in Feb 07. When the car had barely 2000 miles on it I started getting a grind when getting on it while going into second gear. The TSB I had done was a tranny rebuild for new syncros, the hardened input shaft, a new steel flywheel and a dual disc ceramic clutch. My Master Mech at the time said second gear was serviceable but he could see that it had been grinding so he put in a new second gear anyway since the car was so new. (I probably ground second about ten times or so.) I haven't driven the car much and only have about 7000 miles on it now. But I have ground second about a dozen times or so now and it doesn't seem to happen only while really pushing the car real hard and wheel spinning anymore. How do I know if my tranny needs to be opened up for new syncros and if second gear should be changed again? Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, I enjoyed having lunch with you and Ivan on that Hot PHX day a few years ago.

Now as far as your 2nd gear problem. Ford has a procedure listed to evaluate weather or not the transmission needs any syncro work done to it when they replace the clutch. I will post the proceedure and you could probably do it yourself. Just make sure you do it in a open clear space, not in your garage. Would hate to have you launch into your house. The procedure is part of the TSB.

The following procedure is to be used to determine if the synchronizer assemblies in the transmission may have been damaged by attempting to operate the vehicle with a dragging clutch.

1. Set parking brake.

2. Transmission in neutral.

3. Start engine and allow it to idle.

4. Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.

5. Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N•m) force for 2-3 seconds.

6. If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.

7. Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears

Mark if your car passes this test, then the clutch assemblies replacement is all you need done to your car. If it does not pass the test, then you will need some transmission service work along with the clutch work.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions,

Rob

Thanks Rob!!!!!!! My tranny passed!!!!!!!! I talked with Joel at Tremec tech support and he told me that often erratic shifting is caused by there still being a little air in the hydraulic lines and it sounded to him like that was my issue. I sure hope so since another TSB tear down is not in my budget. He also told me he had not heard of that test and did not recommend it nor did he recommend friction modifiers! So in his book no Lucas stuff or purple lube either. He said that stuff works great for a while but can lead to premature failure. According to him all they recommend is Mobile 1 ATF or the current Dexron ATF Ford is using. Either Dexron 3 or 5. So I haven't pursued this further-maybe someone on TS knows some more Tremec engineers or we can get some more info on this since allot of us have been using the purple stuff.

Thanks Rob!!!!!!! My tranny passed!!!!!!!! I talked with Joel at Tremec tech support and he told me that often erratic shifting is caused by there still being a little air in the hydraulic lines and it sounded to him like that was my issue. I sure hope so since another TSB tear down is not in my budget. He also told me he had not heard of that test and did not recommend it nor did he recommend friction modifiers! So in his book no Lucas stuff or purple lube either. He said that stuff works great for a while but can lead to premature failure. According to him all they recommend is Mobile 1 ATF or the current Dexron ATF Ford is using. Either Dexron 3 or 5. So I haven't pursued this further-maybe someone on TS knows some more Tremec engineers or we can get some more info on this since allot of us have been using the purple stuff.

My wife and I both run the royal purple in our cars. It's the best and it makes the shifting pretty transparent. Our trannys take 3.65 QTS. The Tremec guy is just telling you what he has to tell you so you don't void a warranty.

002-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Today I got my quote for the 2010 clutch parts. A little over $1700 for parts alone in the Maritimes of Canada , and another $650 to install. Yikes ,looks like an expensive summer for the Shelby!

At least you have free healthcare. :victory:

Today I got my quote for the 2010 clutch parts. A little over $1700 for parts alone in the Maritimes of Canada , and another $650 to install. Yikes ,looks like an expensive summer for the Shelby!

The labor seems comparable to what I'm being told in the states, however the parts seem to be way more than what you should pay. Will Tousley or Tasca ship your way? Just received a box of 2010 clutch parts from Tousley and with shipping it was $974USD. This included all clutch parts Rob listed on this thread. Yes there will be a difference between the US and Canada but over $700 seems very steep.

Best of luck!

I am still amazed how the 2010 kits transforms the driving feel of the car. No longer will you have to worry about your perfectly timed release when leaving a stop. I can't thank Rob enough for staying on top of this retrofit for all of us.

White mare,

I am considering replacing mine soon too. I am in HRM, where abouts are you.

Cheers,

I am in NB , Moncton area. I went online searching for parts and found a Ford parts wholesaler in NY ,Levittown Ford Supercenter. Looks like I will get the parts to my door in 3-5 days for a couple bucks over a grand. Will post when parts arrive. I still have to buy the teflon locally.

Does anybody know...is there a do-nut type gasket where the manifold / exhaust pipe join? Also does anybody have a link to the Ford service manual for tranny removal? One last question ,does the clutch alignment tool come with the clutch package? I ordered exactly what Grabber suggests. Mark

I am in NB , Moncton area. I went online searching for parts and found a Ford parts wholesaler in NY ,Levittown Ford Supercenter. Looks like I will get the parts to my door in 3-5 days for a couple bucks over a grand. Will post when parts arrive. I still have to buy the teflon locally.

Does anybody know...is there a do-nut type gasket where the manifold / exhaust pipe join? Also does anybody have a link to the Ford service manual for tranny removal? One last question ,does the clutch alignment tool come with the clutch package? I ordered exactly what Grabber suggests. Mark

There is no gasket on the lower exhaust where you have to take it apart. The Clutch alignment tool does not come with the parts. All Ford dealerships have the on line manual to install the clutch system.

I'm sure you have heard the saying " You get what you pay for" Sometimes very true as far as medical care goes. Not that I'm bashing the system....just saying. Mark

I'm sure you have heard the saying " You get what you pay for" Sometimes very true as far as medical care goes. Not that I'm bashing the system....just saying. Mark

"It's better to let a sleeping dog lie." Carroll Shelby http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/interviews/carroll-shelby.asp

Link to the online service manual, I have not checked to see if it has tranny removal data.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/25723-on-line-ford-service-manual/

There it is ,thanks! I knew I saw it somewhere but my gawd I 've read a lot of posts lately and wasn't sure where.

"It's better to let a sleeping dog lie." Carroll Shelby http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/interviews/carroll-shelby.asp

Gotcha.....good advice

And to Grabber.....thanks again.

Mark

So, you are going with the Ford clutch, as recommended by Ford for the TSB fix?

And it sounds like you will attempt the replacement your self. I would likely do the same.

I have read on this forum about some having difficulties removing the trans. I think I will start reading the shop service manual too.

What year is your car?

So, you are going with the Ford clutch, as recommended by Ford for the TSB fix?

And it sounds like you will attempt the replacement your self. I would likely do the same.

I have read on this forum about some having difficulties removing the trans. I think I will start reading the shop service manual too.

What year is your car?

Rotating the trans onto its side in the tunnel to get it out and in on jack stands is a issue. Ask SteelSteeds. He would never attempt it again and wished he would of hired it out.

Rotating the trans onto its side in the tunnel to get it out and in on jack stands is a issue. Ask SteelSteeds. He would never attempt it again and wished he would of hired it out.

I've got good help so hopefully won't be too bad. And a hoist. I will have a tranny jack as well. I'm 48 and haven't paid a garage to do my work yet I'd hate to start now.

I'm scheduled to have my '07 OEM clutch to be replaced with the '10 OEM clutch per the TSB mentioned on this thread. Sure hope it all turns out good.

Cheers,

Ray

I'll be watching to see how it turns out. Planning to buy the tranny jack tomorrow to do mine . Time sure goes slow when you're waiting for parts to fix yer baby...

whitemare,

How did your purchase go with this supplier? They do seem to have excellent pricing. Any issue with border etc...

Cheers