TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Transmission Cooler Scoop

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not a round support with the flattened ends like the Boss cooler and the stock support?

a 1" round bar and a 1" flat bar have the same cross-sectional area.

Phill

That is something I can discuss with our design team and try out. It would make manufacturing the piece a little more difficult do to making sure the bend is the same every time but I'll defintely check it out.

so.... if you end up doing this, would you be able to replace the one I just bought (and has yet to be delivered)?

That is something I can discuss with our design team and try out. It would make manufacturing the piece a little more difficult do to making sure the bend is the same every time but I'll defintely check it out.

This is a no go, spoke with the desing team and they don't believe its worth it. They don't want to compromise the rigidity of the crossmember. I'm having a picture taken of a head on shot to show the gap between the scoop and the crossmember. There is about a 3/4" gap for air to flow through, enough to force more air onto the fins of the tranny housing.

This is a no go, spoke with the desing team and they don't believe its worth it. They don't want to compromise the rigidity of the crossmember. I'm having a picture taken of a head on shot to show the gap between the scoop and the crossmember. There is about a 3/4" gap for air to flow through, enough to force more air onto the fins of the tranny housing.

Can you please share this picture? :)

Buyers could always drill holes in the bar, ala the old "Swiss Cheese" method used on old stocker drag cars frames.

Where there's a will, there's a way.....

Phill

post-27234-0-61010400-1343949173_thumb.jpg

here you go

Oh my. Now I understand the concern.

I thought the pan was much deeper than that.

Phill

I don't remember seeing any fins on the bottom of the transmission on my 2007 GT500 . Could you incorporate some vortex generators in the base of the pan to change the airflow to the bottom of the trans ? I'm sure that this would compensate for any air flow loss due to the crossbar and the CS logo cutout will still provide a means for any collected gravel to fall out for those who choose to go off roading .

I still think that a 90 degree twist in that bar stock would be a dramatic improvement, and should not significantly effect the rigidity of the bar.

I completely agree with you, on both points. If heated right, it wouldn't affect the bent area either.

Phill

Received this in the mail yesterday and just got it on the car. The space between the bar and the scoop is a little small but enough to get some airflow. Easy install... four bolts and 5 minutes of my time, while enduring the wife's laughter at putting something so colorful under the car :hysterical: But anyways it's a nice piece, and the scoop part is angled enough so might get some additional velocity out of that.

In the context of Robert's initial statements regarding the offering I find the above a bit weak in the sauce department. Nothing against you Jonathan, but the "design team's" response to your query falls a little short.

Robert had stated...

The R&D gentleman here at Shelby took that idea and made it even better. This scoop allows the maximum amount of air available from under the car while still allowing you to change the oil without removing the scoop.

In other words, if you are going to claim to improve upon Ford's design - do it, don't just say it.Maximum amount of airflow necessitates either a tubular pencil brace or a ~90* rotation of the flat stock (within the scoop) CS is using. The CS logo cut into the scoop may look cool or pretty but doesn't help to redirect laminar airflow. I'll proffer that the disruption it causes is minimal, but when attempting to achieve "maximum amount", cheese grater surfaces cause rough flow or turbulence.

And the comment about rigidity of the crossmember...the factory tubular pencil brace will be roughly equal to that of the flat stock CS is using in both tension and compression. But resistance to twisting will be greater with the tubular brace Ford uses, even with the ends flattened. Simply put, the tubular brace will out perform the flat brace in terms of strength and airflow, both in direct contrast to the mission statement of this offering from CS.

Nit picking? Some may say, absolutely. From an engineering perspective however, it is rather simple and entirely objective.

I don't remember seeing any fins on the bottom of the transmission on my 2007 GT500 . Could you incorporate some vortex generators in the base of the pan to change the airflow to the bottom of the trans ? I'm sure that this would compensate for any air flow loss due to the crossbar and the CS logo cutout will still provide a means for any collected gravel to fall out for those who choose to go off roading .

You are correct, the Tremec 6060 doesn't have the intentionally cast-in cooling fins that the MT82 (Boss and GT) transmission has. FRPP engineers had mentioned an approximate 20* reduction in transmission temperatures when used in track applications on the Boss 302. I wondered how well the scoop would work on an S197 chassis with the Tremec 6060 installed instead (such as on our beloved GT500's) and contacted an engineer at FRPP. I noted that I had seen the scoop in place on Ford's Boss 302S vehicles which also came with the Tremec instead of the MT82...

Boss302Sbuild.jpg?t=1344205530

I was told that FRPP engineers would be testing at Homestead and that they would do a before/after with the scoop installed on the Boss 302S. Guess what? Engineers saw about the same 20* reduction in temperature.

Has there been any testing of the CS piece that documents an improvement over that of the FRPP scoop?

Thanks Tob for the info. In the picture - is that the underside of the Boss 302S and is that a road race oil pan (box shape) that I see ? Good to know if it works with the Shelby oil pan and what type of temp benefits one can expect . Transmission heat issues are certainly a concern of mine when I open track my GT500.

The engine in the Boss 302S utilizes a custom pan and that is what is shown in the above photo.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12061

I'm quite sure that you could make either scoop, FRPP or CS, work with the Shelby pan. Were there any interference, a minute or two with a cut-off wheel in a 4" grinder would allow either scoop the necessary clearance.

• 3 weeks later...

For those that have this installed does it make a whistling sound or anything on the freeway at speeds or when slowing down on the freeway? Someone told me this scoop makes whistling sounds at speed

We have had these on several of our cars here at the shop and none of them have made any whistling noises.

For those that have this installed does it make a whistling sound or anything on the freeway at speeds or when slowing down on the freeway? Someone told me this scoop makes whistling sounds at speed

Whistling sound??? :hysterical2:

I heard it whistles the andy griffith theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lli9ABUFZCU

We have had these on several of our cars here at the shop and none of them have made any whistling noises.

Jonathan:

Which vehicles are you running these on presently?

I wonder if there would be slight differences in the running gear underneath a vehicle that could make the difference and produce a whistling (or Andy Griffith) sound.

I'm considering getting one for my SGT...just wondering...

Thanks,

Andy.

No.

They will just change the tune to a song you like.

:hysterical2:

Is that done with or without a Dyno to change the tune? I'd hate to get someone tuning it who doesn't know what they are doing!!

Andy.

So if I buy it and it makes this whistling sound on the freeway can I return it for full refund?

Absolutely.

Jer

K Jer when its back in stock I'll order one.

Should be later today. I'll post when I'm sure. They will be up for sale the moment they arrive.

Jer

Archived