TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Green Mojave (Ben)'s 2012 GT500 Suspension, Shifter, & Driveshaft Build

I sent him a couple of pics while he was at Monterey and he said it looked good. So, I'll wait a while for him to answer the email I sent yesterday.

Most of the install I did by myself. I enlisted my wife for some help with the front struts and my son in law to help with the UCA and an alignment. I had a shop do an alignment and was not happy with their results. Went to my daughters house and helped my son in law do an alignment in their garage. Way better job than the shop did, took longer but well worth it. It pays to have an engineer in the family :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ben and Tim,

Emails responded to, Tim...it's amazing how many alignment shops don't know what they are doing. I use the same alignment shop here that I have used for 17 years, and I still help them do it the way I want it done...LOL...guess its part of my OCD...

See you on Saturday, Ben, bring some blankets for your take off parts. You don't want to scratch up Debbie's Caddy....

Alex my son in law and I did the alignment in his garage using string and a ruler and a scientific calculator. Came out fantastic.

When I told the shop it had caster camber plates they looked at me like I had a third eye and said they would have to drill out the holes to get the specs I wanted. I told them to just get it off the lift with it as close to stock specs as they could get and left.

I'll get a pic to you tonight showing the rear wheel. It very well may be me and my own form of OCD. :D

• 2 months later...

Thank you Ben!! I hope you and Debbie had a great one too. I took my nieces to Knott's Berry Farm the day after. Had a great time. Haven't been on here for a while as I have been really busy...building a new 7200 sq ft shop and display area after 5 years of fighting with the County, they gave the green light, finished the 71 Mach, and now onto the 68 GT/CS and a 98 Cobra. Have a few other projects too. Haven't touched my Boss 302 since SEMA other than taking a bunch of parts off to hydrocarbon and interior out to Hushmat. Still need to mess with he tune since installing the Kenne Bell supercharger. You should come by on Saturday to catch up. Will be there in the afternoon, call first, obviously, you know the routine...

Hope you are enjoying the GT500!!

Alex

Alex, good to have you back on TS, missed you....... like everyone else. the "done with mustangs" comment worried me some, I feel fortunate to have met you, not just for the Shelby, but as a friend. Besides, whose gonna show me how to get to Terlingua next year? Got in touch with Sean and he gave me the info on T-13.......sounds like a good time to me ! If the weather does'nt turn to crap, may come down so we can catch up.

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks, Ben, it is always a pleasure to see you and Debbie. You will have a blast at the BASH this year, again...LOL Happy New Year to you both also!!!! :)

Ron, thank you. You are certainly close enough (about 2 hours or less)...LOL...if Russia, Canada, China, and 49 of the 50 states aren't far enough away, I don't know what is...most ship their cars for my shop to do work on, you can even wait while you car is worked on ....

Alex

Hi Ben, all sounded good until you said "Shelby will go into Ford for her annual check up in mid March!!" Not Good. Yucca Valley Ford Tech's have more tattoos than teeth. I bought my 93 and 94 Cobras there and needless to say, they are not acceptable. My 94 got the first 3 oil changes included with cost of the car. When I took it there for the first one, the tech put the wrong oil in it (5-20 vs correct 10-30), wrong filter (Cobras had a shorter filter due to oil cooler) and the sway bar hit the filter and pierced it going out of the parking lot....Needless to say, I never went back. It was a JOKE. Have seen and heard horror stories even since too, almost 20 years later still...PS and Fiesta not much better...unless you supervise, don't bother....I'll give your car it's "annual check up" for free if my lift is available.....

Alex

Thanks for the heads up Alex....I was not aware of Fiesta's Tech reputation....feel like I got "stupid" tattoed across my forehead again :banghead: I purchased the enhanced service contract so all service costs were covered regardless, you might expect Ford could service their vehicles :runaway: Any way, I would be Thrilled to Have you give the Shelby a once over !! Thanks in advance on that..... I'm heading to Florida on 2, Feb. My kid brother is fighting a bad illness, going to give him hand. I will be back mid Feb. if all goes well....I'll call you then Buddy. Thanks again

Ben

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

It's with great sadness that I revive this thread for Ben's wife, Debbie.

Ben passed away last Tuesday while we were all preparing for the Bash of congestive heart failure. 

Debbie has asked me to sell the car for her. If anyone is interested it has 10,200 miles and has always been garaged, never wrecked, and maintained and upgraded by my shop since new. I will offer it here for sale first, if no bites I will put it on ebay for her. Price $42K or best reasonable offer. All upgrades are in this build thread. 

Alex

Archived