TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Green Mojave (Ben)'s 2012 GT500 Suspension, Shifter, & Driveshaft Build

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you my friends!!! Here are some more.....pretty self explanatory....these are from my camera that I left at the shop while I was gone...the ones posted the other night were emailed to me by my workers....

stock shocks and springs...

7-27-12002.jpg

and now off...

7-27-12003.jpg

7-27-12004.jpg

7-27-12005.jpg

These show the lower relocation brackets welded in, painted, lower arms, and Tokicos...

7-27-12006.jpg

7-27-12007.jpg

7-27-12008.jpg

7-27-12009.jpg

Aluminum driveshaft installed....

7-27-12010.jpg

7-27-12012.jpg

7-27-12013.jpg

7-27-12014.jpg

More control arm pics....

7-27-12015.jpg

7-27-12016.jpg

More in a few....

Alex

Its lookin soooo sweet Alex, thanks for the rusty butt touch up, another thing that goes beyond expectations, wasn't

on the build sheet, just did it cause it looks right, "above and beyond Alex" :salute: thanks again. Gotta say that drive shaft is "art" !! Hate to hide it under the car! hehe

And now the difference between the stock and H&R rear bars with billet end links...

7-27-12017.jpg

Adjustable rear panhard....

7-27-12018.jpg

fronts...

7-27-12019.jpg

Installed...

7-27-12020.jpg

7-27-12021.jpg

7-27-12022.jpg

7-27-12023.jpg

7-27-12024.jpg

7-27-12026.jpg

more coming....

Between all the stuff going today, my Saleen Extreme shipped....8am today....

7-27-12029.jpg

7-27-12031.jpg

More coming....I'm being rude to my house guests, but I promised Ben more pictures of his build before picks it up....

Alex

Those sway bars are bruts!! I love em!! Great part selection Alex, this car is going to be all and more than I imagined! Far out!! btw is that a stock ford pan hard brace in the photo of the new panhard bar ? I heard that might be a weakness, might want to look into replacing that next, if budget allows. Ha

Keep em coming, If your house guests are Shelby folks, I'm sure they won't mind sharing you for a little while longer! Not like we got any thing better to do :hysterical2:

The photos are great, especially the rear end shots with "detail" damn, fast work on that panhard brace, Ask and Ye shall recieve! Want to go to bed now,but I'm not sure I can stand up, I stepped all over my crank a few minutes ago and I moving kinda sorrowfull. So excuse me I'm outta here, Alex thanks again for all of this, lookin forward to seeing you soon.

Ben

jnf: Awesome Jim....you got to see my new Boss before me....other than driving it home, I haven't had time to drive it or do anything else to it yet, but will start a build thread on it soon....

pottydr: Glad to see you back on TS, Rick!!! Will hopefully see you next weekend at the MIni-Nats...

Green Mojave: Your car is being washed and detailed as I write this, ready for you to pick up this afternoon and start enjoying!! :happy feet:

UCLAman: I will start your build thread shortly. Hope you are having fun in Big Bear with your family...

Alex

That great to hear Alex, I appreciate the opportunity to comment on the improvement on the Shelby. I know there are other new Shelby owners who are struggling with all the uncertanties of how to approach sellecting and installing aftermarket upgrades with out making un-educated guesses. What I want them to take away from this is " Mackenzie Mustang Supply" It's WORTH the trip!!! :banvictory:

Can't wait! see ya soon Ben

Ben picked his car up around 4 this afternoon after we spent 20 mintutes or so driving around so he could feel the differences. Not like I was surprised, but he was thrilled...like a kid in a candy store and couldn't stop smiling!! I'll wait till he pipes in with his reaction when he comes on here.

Here are the pictures of his car on the ground all done after its detail...

7-28-12010.jpg

7-28-12011.jpg

7-28-12012.jpg

7-28-12013.jpg

7-28-12014.jpg

7-28-12015.jpg

7-28-12016.jpg

7-28-12017.jpg

7-28-12018.jpg

7-28-12019.jpg

7-28-12020.jpg

7-28-12021.jpg

Alex

Picked the Shelby up at about 3;00 pm today, that in itself was a thrill. Have spent the better part of the day re-thinking the experiance of seeing the car for the first time,the feel of the new shifter and the "set" of the car on hard accalleration,cornering and ride feel. I will do my best to communicate my first impressions.

Drove up to Alex's shop and the Shelby was parked across the street next to the wall, freshly polished and ready for the Prom, my first impression was "WOW" the new ride hight was now at least 1 1/2 " + lower, her stance was ellegantly aggersive and the red tow ring was icing on the cake! As I was admiring my new lady, Alex came over, all smiles at what he and his crew had done, I tried to remaine somewhat adult as I stumbled for words to express how I felt...but I'm guessin I looked like a kid on Christmass morning.

As usual Alex showed me around the shop, looked at the stock parts we removed "WHIMPY" and of course we looked at his new BOSS 302 Ha! impressive car stock.. what kind of monster can we expect, time will tell. Any way, Alex and I took my Shelby out for my first ride' I opened the door and my cars interior was as pristine as the exterior {impressed} Alex assured me the undercarraige was the same (see pics!) got in and started her up and she greeted me with that seductive rumble as she came to life,oooooh love 500+hp. With my pulse rate up a few, slipped it into first... easy pull into second...hard accell second into third, flat out third to fourth and brake cus we run out of road. This is my first impressions of the SPP shifter and suspension under streightline accelleration, the new shifter is remarkable, smooth through each gear, almost jumped from second to third on its own! Shifting gears is precise with no supprizes, streightline acceleration was solid didn't get any wheel spin in second or third which makes me suspect the power is getting to the ground with no wheel hope, will have to try harder in the future to spin the tires and thats a good thing

Alex steered me towards one his twisty roads where we pushed the shelby, within reason , through some very nice curves, this is where I began to understand what these suspension mods have done for my Shelby, personally the cars power has never been an issue for me, 550 stock hp is huge, its been about translating that power into usable speed into and out of corners, and now my Shelby is a completely different animal ! Turning into an apex is precise, accellerating out is beyond anything I've experianced so far, this suspension package builds confidence, steering inputs are crisp, no body roll at all, in and out of corners are flat and you know the car is planted to the road, latteral g's through big sweeping turns are crazy fun!! So Alex and I headed back to his shop with me smilling ear to ear.

Said my goodbys and thanked the crew and Alex for thier work (awsome) and went home. The trip home included 5+ miles 0n Hy 10 and then up the grade 15+ miles on Hw 62 to Yucca Valley. I mention this part of the day cus its just me and the car, listening to her at different speeds, feeling the road and just enjoying the drive.

My first impressions are, the faster she goes the smoother the ride, I would classify her ride now as firm, aggressive and precise, I don't feel the ride is jarring at any speed. For me, cabin noise at highway speed is about the same as stock, no tire noise or any other annoiences to speek of and ride is as good or better than stock. At lower speeds there are some new sounds I need to sort out, I'm sure you can here the tranny and other suspension parts as the move through their articulations, for me this is just a reminder that the Shelby is now a road machine.

In summary, What a great experiance, I highly recomend these upgrades to any Shelby owner who is on the fence about whether its worth the time and money, you won't be dissapointed......Your Shelby will become a whole new animule.. imho...the car will be safer to drive and enjoy.

THANKS Alex for the ride, looking forward to more

Ben

I log ing to TeamShelby here maybe once or twice a month. When I do, the first thing is to look for Alex's posts. I think there should be a cable TV show featuring Mackenzie Mustang showing coordinating multiple build deadlines, yelling at vendors, haggling with dealers, riding with customers, posting pictures, never sleeping, going to the track, buying cars, selling cars......"selling" his latest gt500 and somehow ending up with two cars in the process!! Honestly, I didn't know much about my car when I got it and I was thrilled to find Alex so close. Instant friend. Thank you Alex. Alex has done the RBST, the SPEC twin clutch, his MAC mufflers, the VMP pulley and tune, and basically all the suspension and driveshaft done here on Ben's car. I am happy to see that Alex is still putting on the same stuff that we did on mine. Alex, I can't wait to see what you do with the Boss!!

Ben,

Glad to hear that you didn't get a ticket going up to Yucca. I understand there is cop along that stretch that shows no leniency! I am not far away in Yucaipa so hope to meet you some day.

Matt

Hay Matt!! +1000 on Alex, ain't he a trip! The run up the grade is great fun and yes you gotta keep your eye open. Happily the CHP you mention is a friend of mine, his name's Carl ( a real legend up here) fortunately he's retired. Ha! Fortunately I didn't meet any CHP on the run up the grade to Morongo as I don't recall seeing anything under 80mph on the way up! Oops did I say that out loud ? :drool::doh::peelout:

LOL. I have a couple friends that lived in Yucca who always talked and warned about tickets around Morongo. I think it should be a flat out drag race on that straight stretch from the 10 to the stoplight. Race two is from the stoplight to Morongo.

Congrats Ben.

Cae looks awesome.

Great build Alex.

I look forward to reading and seeing the photos as the builds progress.

Looking forward to seeing the build on your new Boss too !!

One of these days I will make down to Palm Springs.

Ben: Thank you for the awesome write up. It was a pleasure to do a build for you and give you exactly what you were expecting. Nothing beats the smiles on people's faces when they pick up their cars. I miss that when people ship their cars!! Your grin from ear to ear the whole time we were together Saturday was priceless!! Enjoy every minute of the car and I am sure we will talk soon. I got the opportunity to get some time in the Boss today...lots of fun. After color sanding and buffing the factory paint, it is getting some clear bra-ing, then the mods will begin!!!

Matt: Thank you for the comments. It has been a while since I have seen you!! I hope you, Linda and the kids have been well. It's funny you mentioned a reality show....I have a customer/friend from Bravo that has been bugging me for several years to do one, but I keep declining as it would take too much more time out of my schedule and I really don't wan't cameras following me around all day. LOL.

Jim: Thank you too for the comments. You are welcome in Palm Springs, anytime, just let me know when you are coming. I am going to add some more pics to my Boss arrival thread in a bit...

Alex

+1000 on that Alex. looking for any excuse to drive her, considering timed runs to WalMart and back :peelout: Fastest grocery getter in town :hysterical2: she stayed snug in the garage today,not taking any chances... but the worst we got at my place were a few sprinkles, so alls good. I've been watching your Boss build...... it's time to get jiggy with it, can't wait to see what kind of juju you put in that thing. Thanks for noticing the rain on my parade!!

Ben

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!! 1,200+ views... Thats great, glad you guys & gals are looking at this build! But thats not why I'm commenting, Just a little follow up on how the Shelby is doing since I picked her up almost a month ago. I have to say she is all I expected and more, driving this car takes me to a very happy place, can't wait to get this beast on the track again!! Any track!!. But thats not why I'm commenting....... I've put over 100 plus on the Shelby since I picked it up a month ago and I started hearing a thump from the rear on light accelleration and decelleration, a whine under load and other noises and I started to stress over the "What If's". So on thursday I called Alex and explained my concerns..... and he did what I needed him to do, he said bring the Shelby in Saturday at 2:00 pm and we will fix it. He didn't say I'll look at it, he said I'll fix it. So at 1:45pm I rolled in and was greated by Alex's workers, I gave them a quick brief on the issue and by 1:55pm the Shelby was on the lift and two crazed mustang munchkins were re-inspecting every thing they installed for tightness and any sighns of a problem. By the time Alex arrived at 2:00 for our meeting the munchkins were re-adjusting my pinion angle!! So, all that was left to do was drive. Alex and I took her out for a shake down and I could immediately feel the differance, the thump/clunk was all but gone every thing felt nice and tight, Alex explained the other sounds ie whine under load was the rear-end etc..... So, what I'm commenting on is this, No dealer warrenty Bull!! No back yard Mechanic Crap..... just a stand up guy, who backs up his work...... you all can add that to your list of Pros & Cons

Ben

OK Afdharley............ took a quick measurement on the rear wheels, three fingers between the tire and the front wheel well and four fingers between the tire and the rear wheel well. Not scientific, but I appear to be about 1/2inch forward of center in the well. I can assume each vehicle is unique, but, I don't like to ass-u-me any thing. My suggestion is contact Alex, he hasn't steared you wrong yet. Good luck!

Ben

Ben after some thought as to what I may have done incorrectly I went backup and took a look again. I have 4 fingers front and 3 rear as you said. So maybe I'm fine.

Handling? Could not be more happy with it. After a proper alignment and rechecking that everything was tight it drives like its on rails. Noise? I left off the axle weights and now I seem to have some gear whine. I'm going to clean them up and paint them black and reinstall to see if that helps. I had some clunking but after checking and tightening everything that seems to have gone away, or at least minimized it.

Initially I didn't adjust the firmness on the tokicos, I left them as they came out of the box. Very firm ride but not uncomfortable. This weekend I played with the adjustment and set them 4 turns back from full firm. Smoothed out the ride but still more firm than stock. I have a road trip planned next month and will play with the settings more. So far I'm happy with the adjustability. Very easy to do.

Posting pics.......my iPad does not play with photobucket and I haven't found a way to post pics here. I would be happy to email or text them to you and then you could post if you like.

Tim

Tim, sounds familiar, my Shelby has all the same symptoms plus the exhaust drone from the flowmasters, in flowmasters defence they sound great at idle and through the gears, but at 1800 to 2000rpm they are in the car with you :shrug: Anyway... sounds like a solid build and if you did it youreself "big congrats". I'm guessing Alex is the guy who should see your build photos, I would think anything out of the ordinary would jump out at him. I,m still confident you will get it all sorted out. Hope to meet you and your Shelby someday, maybe 2013 Shelby Bash... it is definately worth the trip!! Good luck!

Ben

Archived