TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Dakota Shelby A/C help

standrk

The A/C finally went on my Dakota. I was able to find most of the parts to redo the entire A/C system. The issue I ran into is that the High pressure line listed for this truck doesn't fit. The parts place ordered two additional lines to see if they would fit with no luck. Any idea on what the part number is? The original is shot so I need a new one. The other issue I ran into was the with the blower motor switch. Again the part listed does not work. The original is a 6 male prong that has right angles. I can't find that anywhere either. Someone please help. Did they just throw random parts at these trucks or what.

Try a high pressure line for a 1989 Ram 1500 with the 318 engine. Since the engine is the same as in that truck, it is possible the A/C line from it may be long enough.

For the switch, it is probably that the part # they have listed in their database is the wrong part #. I don't think Shelby modified the A/C controls at all, so a stock switch should fit. Did you try RockAuto.com?

I tried the line from a 1989 Dodge 1500 with a 318. I wasn't even close. As far as the switch goes I have tried every parts store in town and looked at rock auto. The all come up with the same part number however, it isn't the correct one. I guess I will have to start looking at the junk yard. If anyone else has any data please share.

Try looking at a a/c line from a 1991 Dakota with the 318 V8. The 91 V8 Dakota was Dodge's copy of the Shelby Dakota although Dodge used a conventional belt driven cooling fan.

The blower motor switch is a standard Chrysler part used on many models but are you sure the switch is bad? The odds are the blower motor resistor is bad and not the switch itself.

Steve

I am positive its the switch. I pulled it out and there must have been a short at some point. The plastic was melted and the high setting contact had melted through. I took it to the parts place and compared it to the part number that comes up. Its not even close. I sanded the plastic smooth and cleaned the contacts but I lost the high setting. It gets pretty hot here in Georgia so high is a must. On another note...Is the rack and pinion in these trucks standard or did they use something special? Mine needs to be replaced.

From the parts manual references I have, the original part number for the 1989 Dakota heater control switch is 3849160. This number is listed for all the Dakota's from 1988 through 1993.

The Ram trucks use a different switch. The Dakota got an interior redesign in 1994 and the heater control unit is entirely different from then up.

On another note...Is the rack and pinion in these trucks standard or did they use something special? Mine needs to be replaced.

I just had the rack and pinion replaced on mine and the shop didn't have any issues getting it (remanufactured unit I'm sure), so I'd guess it is the standard unit.

• 2 months later...

i might have an extra controller switch for the dash, if you havent found one yet. i'm also replacing my rack for manual setup, so if you need a rack, i might have that too. the rack isnt any special unit, it's the stock v-6 unit that came in all dakotas from 86 (sold in 87) to 90. rock auto has them, as do most auto parts places. send me a pm if you still need the dash setup, and i'll send you some pics.

Archived