TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Clutch engagement

tedj

Has anyone noticed a difference in clutch engagement on the 2013?

My clutch does not begin engagement until the pedal is almost completely out, probably 2 inches from being fully released. It is very hard to drive this car. With the tall first gear and any sort of slope it is embarrassing. The hill assist only makes it worse for me because it is going to release two seconds after I take my foot off the brake and I have to find that fraction of an inch in the clutch before the car rolls back into the car behind me, it stalls or I do a burnout through the intersection.

Anyone else noticed this? Or, should I head to the dealer and see if there is some adjustment that can be done.

thats the way it is the clutch engagement is definitely different, am already used to it

Ok, thanks for the confirmation. It's driving me crazy. I was on some Seattle hills last night with a truck stuck to my butt at the light and wound up leaving a cloud through the intersection. Apparently, the e-brake will be my new best friend.

I stalled 15 times on day one. That week I probably stalled 3 times a day. After a month I don't stall at all. You will get use to it and this is my first manual.

Someone on here told me to practice moving the car with just the clutch. That helped me a lot in memorizing where exactly the engagement point was. You could try that.

Using Hill Start Assist

Note: If the engine is revved excessively, hill start assist will be deactivated.

1. Press the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete standstill. Keep the brake pedal pressed.

2. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is on a slope, the hill start assist feature will be activated automatically.

3. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for approximately two or three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off.

4. Drive off in the normal manner. The brakes will be released automatically.

Yes, Ted, I have noticed it too on the 13's, but, like an aftermarket clutch too, you just need to get used to it. The 13 clutch from what I have experienced so far, is a stout system!!

Alex

I've driven manual shift mustangs since the early '80s, and I've stalled this car once so far and did a nice panic burnout through an intersection trying to turn on yellow :). The clutch engagement is clear at the top and the pedal is certainly "stronger" than my 2012 for sure. It almost reminds me of my '03 terminator clutch. The pedal isn't quite as strong as the termi, but the engagement is as high and very grabby like it.

I would prefer a lower engagement, but hey, we are talking about the clutch on a 662 HP animal. It is amazing the engineering it is as good as it is. Just a few years ago, it would have been a monster single disk that would make you break out in a sweat every time you went for a drive.

Has anyone noticed a difference in clutch engagement on the 2013?

My clutch does not begin engagement until the pedal is almost completely out, probably 2 inches from being fully released. It is very hard to drive this car. With the tall first gear and any sort of slope it is embarrassing. The hill assist only makes it worse for me because it is going to release two seconds after I take my foot off the brake and I have to find that fraction of an inch in the clutch before the car rolls back into the car behind me, it stalls or I do a burnout through the intersection.

Anyone else noticed this? Or, should I head to the dealer and see if there is some adjustment that can be done.

I say go for the burnout across the intersection. Lol

Thanks for all the feedback, I am working on it. I have it pretty well, but the hills in Seattle got me. Downtown they have hills like San Francisco with stop lights at the top. Having someone get right on your backside puts the pressure on and the two second hill assist doesn't really do it for me. I am working on my e-brake skills for those situations. I am sure the folks at the one intersection had a good laugh when I went through trailing smoke. Mainly I really was just worried that something might be wrong and I needed to confirm that all is working right and the problem is me. Sure enough it's me again.... :)

Mine seems to have "self-adjusted" - when I picked it up at the dealer I was really wondering. After driving now 4,000 miles it now seems more mid-range for the engagement.

My older son made a video when we picked up the car - I pulled the Shelby next to his GT - was kind of funny. This powerful car and I was going, so slow pulling up because I initially couldn't get a feel for the clutch. Much better now though after having put on some miles.

Mine seems to have "self-adjusted" - when I picked it up at the dealer I was really wondering. After driving now 4,000 miles it now seems more mid-range for the engagement.

My older son made a video when we picked up the car - I pulled the Shelby next to his GT - was kind of funny. This powerful car and I was going, so slow pulling up because I initially couldn't get a feel for the clutch. Much better now though after having put on some miles.

Now that's good to hear, hope mine does that too.

• 2 months later...

Considering this is my first standard car, I find it a bit difficult getting consistent starts in first gear. I've stalled my car maybe four or five times since I've had it. I've also managed to start in second and third gear all totally by accident without stalling. Mind you I haven't done that for a while. The first time I operated the clutch it almost threw my foot off because I wasn't prepared for the strength of it. I did notice I had to come up on the clutch quite a ways before it engages. Also I thought the brakes held for a few seconds as long as you didn't go above 2000rpm for the hill assist. All in all I find my car to be fun to drive as I think many of you do. For shear enjoyment, this is the best investment I have ever made. Even my mom, who's 77, loves the car and wants to go for rides all the time. I have a hard time keeping my 16 year old daughter and her friends away from the car, they constantly want me to take them for a cruise and blast their music.

• 5 months later...

Apparently there is an assist spring on the pedal assembly that causes trouble for some folks related to the pedal not returning from the floor. when they remove the spring they report the clutch feels much more linear. I have not had the pedal return problem but I know of someone that has with a 13 gt500. I am thinking I might remove the spring just to improve the clutch feel. Check the boss 302 forums for procedures to get the spring off without damage.

Has anyone been able to get an answer from SVT as to why the clutch engages at such a high level off the floor? You would figure that there would have to be some way of changing that.

You can replace the TOB/Slave cylinder with a 2012 unit.

Apparently there is an assist spring on the pedal assembly that causes trouble for some folks related to the pedal not returning from the floor. when they remove the spring they report the clutch feels much more linear. I have not had the pedal return problem but I know of someone that has with a 13 gt500. I am thinking I might remove the spring just to improve the clutch feel. Check the boss 302 forums for procedures to get the spring off without damage.

I didn't have the sticking problem, but I didn't like the two stage feel of the clutch pedal. I removed the assist spring and would recommend it's removal. Link

If I can make a decent deal, I plan to trade my 1200 mile '12 on a new '13 in the next few months. This clutch thing is disappointing to learn and will surely eliminate my wife from driving at all since she has killed the 12 a couple of times. Could part of the problem be simply the ratio? When I bought the 12, I specifically sought out the SVT model so I would get the 3.73 thinking it would help her learn to drive a manual easier. I wonder if it woud void the warranty to change the gears in a 13 to 3.73. I suspect the main reason they went to the 3.23 is so they could say it will do 200 mph. Since I have no plans to ever go that fast I would like a little more low end grunt and the 3.73 would provide that.

...Could part of the problem be simply the ratio? When I bought the 12, I specifically sought out the SVT model so I would get the 3.73 thinking it would help her learn to drive a manual easier. I wonder if it woud void the warranty to change the gears in a 13 to 3.73. I suspect the main reason they went to the 3.23 is so they could say it will do 200 mph. Since I have no plans to ever go that fast I would like a little more low end grunt and the 3.73 would provide that.

Stock ratio in the 2013/2014 MYs is 3.31, not 3.23. I'm certain changing to 3.73s will void at least the drivetrain warranty.

Thanks for the correction on the ratio. Someday I'll learn not to trust my memory...

Don't want to void any warranties but would be interesting to see what a 4.11 or 4.30 would do. I wonder what the new Cobra Jets cars come with. Saw them run at Tulsa last year and very impressive.

Archived