TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My New Boss 302 Laguna Seca Has Arrived!!

vapor08GT500

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex, hope to see you while here. I assujme you have a place to stay! Will be at Baja & Quail Thursday evening and at Laguna Seca Friday and part of Saturday as I hope to go to the auction at the Hyatt Saturday afternoon. That being said, enjoy the cool weather. :)

MY500SS: Thanks Dan!! The paint really pops now...it looks like a $20K paint job now...really deep and wet looking. We are doing the same thing next to Rick's black 40th that is patiently waiting in the shop. Haven;t had a minute to do anything to the Mach yet. After Rick's car is done I will tackle a few things on it before it is ready for sale. Still don't want to sell my 67 Shelby, but you will be first to know when and if I ever do...LOL

Afdharley: I had to trim the bump stop bracket, trim the well liner, grind some seam sealer, repaint to look factory, and remove the shock boot. Worth the effort, car hooks up and handles amazing now. Did you get all the parts you got from me finished on your Shelby yet?

Ford Fest: Thanks Bob!! Yes, most dealers want ridiculous ADM's. I got mine from Manny at Gaudin Ford for MSRP in Vegas. Ordered it in February and got it in July. Well worth the wait!! I am loving the car.

JeffJ: Thanks Jeff!! It is really turning out nice. Next up will be a power adder and bigger brakes. Silverhorse Racing flush mount lovers are being painted now and will go on soon.

H050: I'll see you at Baja Cantina on Thursday. I am leaving tomorrow afternoon and will stay somewhere along the coast Wednesday night and will roll into Monterey sometime Thursday morning to meet up with Ken (cobra67) to go to Mecum. I have an exreamly overpriced room from your hotel list booked for Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. I hope the weather is nice and cool up there...can't wait to get out of this heat!! See you and Glenda soon...

Here is the front suspension going on. There is no reason to change the Laguna Seca adjustable Tokico shocks and struts, just the Steeda Boss 302 specific coil springs and strut mount....

8-14-12001.jpg

8-14-12002.jpg

8-14-12003.jpg

8-14-12004.jpg

8-14-12005.jpg

8-14-12007.jpg

8-14-12008.jpg

8-14-12009.jpg

8-14-12010.jpg

More to come...

Alex

mundies: Thanks Matt!! its funny how different the shades of yellow are on all 4 of my yellow vehicles!!

mustang_girl. If Michael gives me a ticket for it, it will be in the corral, Nicole. I didn't pre-register as I didn't know until this weekend that I was going to be able to get away to go.

Bump steer kit installed. It was installed and adjusted with the full weight of the car on its suspension with the car level. This is a common mistake people make when installing the bump steer kit as they don't have the car level!!

8-14-12011.jpg

8-14-12012.jpg

8-14-12013.jpg

8-14-12014.jpg

And now the front wheels installed...went with 27530ZR20's in the front...no rubbing even lock to lock...

8-14-12017.jpg

8-14-12018.jpg

I sprayed the whole underside with Pig Spit to keep anything from sticking to it for my trip to the Monterey Historics...

8-14-12019.jpg

8-14-12020.jpg

8-14-12021.jpg

8-14-12022.jpg

More to come...

A few more of the front suspension all done...going to get aligned tomorrow...

8-14-12023.jpg

8-14-12024.jpg

8-14-12025.jpg

And now many shots of the car on the ground. It is my experience, the front springs take a few days to settle, so it will be a little lower in the front when they do. You can see how my headlight covers really don't affect light output much...

8-14-12026.jpg

8-14-12027.jpg

8-14-12028.jpg

8-14-12029.jpg

8-14-12030.jpg

8-14-12031.jpg

8-14-12032.jpg

More in a bit...need to go to Albertson's to get a few things for my trip before they close at 11pm....

Alex

Looks great Alex!!

What happened to the 4" gap in the wheel well... :hysterical:

I should be getting my tuner and tune either this week or next, then have to figure out data logging...lol

Have fun in Monterrey, it'll definitely be cooler than Palm Springs.

Dan

Alex, this Boss is lookin great!! The Watts IMHO was the way to go, glad you decided to punch it up a notch! My impression of Fords Boss 302 was "purpose built for track days" and I have a sneeky suspition your's is all that and more!! can't wait to see whats next... Twin turbos?

Best of luck

Your BOSS turned out fantastic Alex........again you have showed us all how to do it right. :worship:

Truth be told, I'd be the first one to try and talk you out of selling your 67. You and Carroll have talked about that car, and to me that makes all the more special.

Alex only part I still need to install is the UCA. I needed a socket and wrench that I didn't have and have not crawled back under it. I get an alignment this Saturday morning and will try and get that installed after that. Any tips on removing the stock part? It's in a damned awkward location to get too ;)

Alex, this is Dennis. I am the guy that stopped by to visit you at your shop 3 weeks ago. Your Boss is looking awsome! I really dig the rims. I also wanted to comment on the Mach 1 you bought. I had a 72 when I was 18 and owned it only a couple years, then sold it and regreted it ever sice. It was a Fastback, or " Flat Back" Backing up towards the passengerside was scary and you have to utilize both mirrors when changing lanes, but I am sure you know about this already. Those big body Stangs are not as popular as the older sibblings, but I think they are beautiful cars. Can't wait to see what you have in store for it. I know in the early 90's I thought of converting mine to fuel injection along with an overdrive just before the restomod stuff started. If I would have kept the car, who knows, I may have been one of the first pioneers of the restomod craze.It was a Q code with a Hurst 4spd with 3.50 9" rear, 351 Clvd.. I did find an original ram air setup at a salvage yard and was installed on the car. If I still owned it today here is what I would have done to it:

Fuel injection

supercharged

6spd

suspension

17" or 18" rims

Bottom line, would have been a beast of a track car!

So good luck with it and please, post pics of the build.

mustang_girl. If Michael gives me a ticket for it, it will be in the corral, Nicole. I didn't pre-register as I didn't know until this weekend that I was going to be able to get away to go.

I'll ask the corral people if they have any extras. I think there's been a couple cancellations.. See you tomorrow I hope at Baja Cantina. I'm doing the 100 Miglia tour tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

jnf: Thanks Jim, as always...keep following along...lots more to come...

cobra567: Haha Ken, Just been busy. I was actually in San Diego last week picking up a 1 family owned 71 Mach 1, you probably saw it on the San Diego CL. The father (passed away) left it to his son when he turned 18. As soon as the son turned 18 (last week) he decided to sell it. It is a time capsule, everything original and some rare options including power windows, 4 sp, rear window defroster, rear spoiler, 15X7 wheels ( standard was 14X7) a/c etc...here are a few teaser pics. I knew if I didn't go get the car (at midnight) that some Australian exporter would swoop it up. Have pictures and receipts for the car since day one...3 plastic tubs worth!! The widow spent over an hour balling over the car going, but it was her son's choice..

8-9-12022.jpg

8-9-12023.jpg

8-9-12029.jpg

Drove like a dream back to PS. Almost identical to a Grabber Yellow 71 Mach 1, M code 4speed I had in high school, they were even built in the same month!! A drunk ran a red light and totalled that one, so I parted it out. I will most likely be going to Monterey...

MJN: Wheels and tires size is the same as the GT500, it is just the tread design that makes them look wider. The wheels are already off the car. Color sanding and buffing the factory paint is VERY time consuming, but well worth the effort. We are doing the same process to Rick's black 40th right now, panel by panel....really turning out nice!!

patrickshelby: I re-read what I wrote and should clarify...I have installed 100's of 1 piece driveshafts from all the manufacturers. Dynatech was getting to be hit and miss, so I no longer use them. Now I use a company called CCI out of MI. No issues so far and I have installed 80 or so of them so far..

H0050: Thanks Harald!! Yellow is my favorite color, so it works perfect for me!!

I will post more pics of my Boss build later....suspension is about 1/2 way done now and new rear wheels just got fitted (33530ZR20)

Alex

Alex,

Nice car! But you couldn't buy a 71 Mach 1 with the Hockey Stripes and the Side Trim from Ford, they didn't come with both.

I know it has been a while since I updated the build thread of my own car!! There are only so many hours in the day, and only so many days in a week. With several builds going on at once, the Monterey Historics, the Galpin show, a house flood from my dishwasher, another house in escrow closing in the morning at 9 am, local customers, many emails, PM's and phone calls, I am finally caught up (somewhat, yes, I will call you Pat)!! Before I post anymore pictures, I'll respond to those that took the time to ask questions and/or post comments on this thread since I responded last, even at 2:20 in the morning!!

Blown Away: Thanks Dan. Even though I have talked to you several times since the Historics, Happy Birthday again and yes the weather was much cooler than PS!! I LOVED IT!! If you need any help data logging, call me.

Green Mojavi: Thanks Ben!! It was great to see you, as always, this Saturday to pick up your take off parts. The Watts link is the way to go for a track car, or limited street use car, but certainly not for a daily driver. The predictability of it is great as far as hook up and cornering at speeds that aren't usually attainable, but it is annoying in bumper to bumper traffic noise wise. Didn't bug me until bumper to bumper traffic in LA (for 3 hours) on the way back from Monterey. When I returned, I was irritated.

H0050: It sure was...almost cold!!! It was great to see you and Glenda, although for a short time!!!

MY500SS: Turned out? Done? Never..LOL...Thanks you for your comments, but it isn't done!! I could spend an hour too on Carroll, my 67, and what his vision was for my 67 GT 350 which he also wanted me to put back together, but that would take a book!! When I finish a few projects going right now (Rick's 40th, some road race cars, my Dinah Shore '88 GT Vert, my 71 Mach, 68 big block car (owned over 20 years with 6009 original miles), 65 F100 with new 03 Cobra crate motor (owned for 18 years), and 36ft travel trailer, the 67 350 is next after those...hehe) Alot, but that's the game plan, as of now....

jnf: Thanks Jim....1700 miles now and just sitting while I work on more cars...stay tuned...

mywickedshelby: Thanks Michael!! Can't wait to hear your version of Europe, in Terlingua! Made it to and from Monterey in one piece ( I think )

Afdharley: Already talked to you several times since you posted this. Did you get your LCA relocation brackets welded correctly yet, Tim?

03 DSG Snake: Yes, Ron, search my other threads, there are several on what we do to make the tires clear. Do a search, if you can not find a build thread, email me back, but I think you found one as I talked to you.

Denstang65: Of course I remember you, Dennis. Thank you for your comments!! It was a pleasure to spend time with you and I felt bad when you were at my shop to have another appointment to go to. I too had a 4th Gen '71 Mach 1 in high school. Similar to this car Grabber Yellow M code Mach 1 4 speed car. It was an almost perfect original car that I was T-boned in and the car was totalled. I ended up parting it out and was thrilled to sell the parts off it for over $8K...in today's world, those parts would have brought over $20K. I've spent over $13K on NOS date code correct parts for this Mach. I have everything I need now for the Mach except for date code correct Autolite shocks..I'm not paying $2K for a set, the Motorcraft's that are on it don't get an MCA deduction for concours driven, but are a 2 point deduction for trailered concours. Your idea's for your Q code car would have been great for a non original car. Being that my Mach is a 1 owner car with almost everything original and date code correct, I am staying totally original. I will post pics of the build when I get a chance to put all the goodies on when I get some time...

mustang_girl: I was upset I didn't get a chance to meet you, Nicole!! I did end up getting a ticket for Sunday from Brad (elkhorn) but never got to meet you...maybe at another event soon...

SHELBY#18: I have been taking my time with your car, Rick. ( Probably too much...OCD) It is turning out amazing, but I doubt you have seen it yet as you are probably still at the farm. Thanks for the comments about the Boss and the Mach 1. I went way to anal on the Mach and your 40th...OOPS. I drive myself nuts!! Can't wait to hear about your trip!!

patrickshelby: Tim (Afdharley) answered your question..yes the Laguna Seca stripes are different and reflective. This is one that will confuse and bother the collectors 20 years from now!!

nthilehman: Thanks for the comments. Stop by, but call first to make sure I am at the shop. I'd like to see what you have...

Grabber: Yes, I have seen it. Doesn't apply to my '13 as it has been revised engine and A/C belt wise. Have several customer's though that have been affected by this though. Thanks for the link, Rob.

LuckySnake: I know. Good eye!! I have pictures of the car the day the car was picked up at the dealer. It had dealer installed custom stripes which were featured along with the car in the October, 1993 Mustang Monthly magazine. The dealer ( Warren Ford ) special ordered this car with all the options it still has ( and none added since ) and added a custom stripe similar to the hockey stick stripes, but with their own flair. In the article in Mustang Monthly, there is a picture of the stripes installed by Warren Ford ( I have the original picture too, along with 100's of others (black and white, polaroid, and color) and receipts since day one) I have an Elite Marti report on this car, stating it is 1 of 1 built and also have the original Ford invoice, window sticker, and build sheet. I can say with utmost confidence, there is not another 71-73 Mach 1 in the world that is a one owner, all original body panel, never fully restored car with all the documentation, pictures, and receipts that this one has. Other than the original shocks, this car is all original with very, very few reproduction parts. I have gone through almost every part on this car and checked date codes. Anything not correct that I could find (other than the damn shocks), I have found down to the correct belts, hoses, and battery. The interior has never been out...original PERFECT headliner, upholstery, sunvisors, interior panels, power windows, seatbelts, console, gauges, etc etc etc...it is like a step back in time.

My post was intended to be 20 minutes to respond the those that commented...that was at 2:20am, now it is almost 5am and I have to be at my escrow closing at 9am as I can't seem to find a way to have others do this for me...I guess I will have to post my build thread pictures another time....

Alex

Thanks for the reply Alex! I have a 71 too! They are the Bomb, last year Ford put a Big Block in a Mustang. A buddy of mine had a Gold 71 Boss 351, had some great times comparing the performance between the 351 and 429! His car was like yours, fantastic condition. Mine was not in as good of condition and was my daily driver for more than 10 years and many, many miles, so it has since been restored, well worth the trouble.

The sound of the 351 and 429 Mach 1's is awesome, I wouldn't trade for any other car. Mine is a 1 of 1 as well, red 429cj, C6 with power windows and am/fm radio. Bought it in 79. It's stable mate is my 07 GT500. I have a buddy that has just about 10 of every part for 71 Mach 1's, several NOS parts and many mint original parts, fyi.

Thank you my friends!!

MY500SS: Yeah, sounds like fun Dan as far as sleep...it is 4 am and I got a lecture from another Shelby friend that was here today (well yesterday now..) that asked when I slept...most of you that know me, know my sleep is pretty sporadic!! Drives me nuts, honestly. I sleep in segments and not really on a schedule. Today, I fell asleep at midnight (had a car I HAD to bid on, on Ebay) fell asleep at 1am, slept for 3 hours, then woke up and here I am...at least on Sunday, I don't really have any type of schedule when I have to wake up...my escrow went perfect...another house sold!! WOO HOO...different account...no $$ go to cars!! When I mixed them togehter is when my OCD takes control and I had 45 cars...I keep real estate and car $$ separate...when I mix it up I get really carried away. Have many new things for you to see in after SMP though when you (and Marji?) are here....LOL

Afdharley: Got your pics, Tim. Now your car looks perfect!!! People complain on what I charge to do the LCA relocation brackets ($450 installed..parts and labor), but as you found out, if they are not exactly square, the car doesn't track right and the wheel well gap is off...measure 2X weld and cut 1X!!

LuckySnake: Oh, Please!!! Don't get me going on hoarding of NOS parts...I scare myself of how much $$$ and quantity of NOS parts I have for all year Mustangs. Drives me nuts!! In high school I had a 71 Mach in Grabber Yellow 71 Mach 1 351C 4V 4 speed. Loved it, Never cared for the 71-73 bodystyle at that point, but changed my feeling of them when I owned and drove that one frequently, as they really are the best driving of all the 64.5-73 Mustangs/Shelby's. Not to get into a war on what drives well and not, my 71 Mach was a really cool, fun driver. I was T-boned in it by a drunk driver and ended up parting it out...kept the title on it and it was a 1 of 1 car according to Kevin( Marti)...oops....I agree the 429 and 351's sounded and felt awesome!!! I have spent over $5K on date code correct parts for the 71 and plan to get on it when some other cars are done...stay tuned on this one...I plan on driving it for a bit. It is a time capsule...Keep your 71!! My feeling is that they will be the next $100K+ Mustangs in the near future...Look at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mach-1-/280951940169?forcev4exp=true

Lots of wrong stuff on it, but a nice car. Grab them while they are available. My feeling is that the Mach I have now is not one anyone will see again. How many people can say they have a 1 owner, mostly original paint, power window, 351C, 4 speed, sports interior, rear window defrost, rear spoiler, A/C, power discs, AM 8 Track, power steering, original working clock, 15X7 wheels, Convenience Group etc. Well, I cheated a bit, no one as this was 1 of 1 built like it!! Also has every service record, receipt, build sheet, invoice, window sticker, pictures, purchase contract, etc etc etc...it is like a time capsule...LOL

Back to my Boss...

I now have the SilverHorse Racing quarter windows installed, tinted the windows, and had the the 4 side markers and 3rd brake light spray smoke tinted. Can't remember what computer I loaded them on, but will when I find them!! Have more miles on it now than my 03 Cobra I bought new...

Alex

Archived