TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hold Shelby-On Hold

I ordered my 2013 Shelby at my local dealership on May 24th. I was given a copy of my order confirmation along with the DORA a week later when I went in to check to see if my order was accepted. I just got off the phone with the sales manager who told me that as of 7/17 my status on my car is (HOLD SHELBY-ON HOLD). WTF does that mean?? It exactly 8 weeks today that I placed my order and put down a security deposit. Is there anyone I can call to see what is going on...SVT perhaps? Thanks for your help!!

-Susan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ordered my 2013 Shelby at my local dealership on May 24th. I was given a copy of my order confirmation along with the DORA a week later when I went in to check to see if my order was accepted. I just got off the phone with the sales manager who told me that as of 7/17 my status on my car is (HOLD SHELBY-ON HOLD). WTF does that mean?? It exactly 8 weeks today that I placed my order and put down a security deposit. Is there anyone I can call to see what is going on...SVT perhaps? Thanks for your help!!

-Susan

Call SVT at

1-800-367-3788

-John

I called SVT and spoke to Dan. He was able to pull up my car and said that the status is related to a material parts hold. He said that it shows up on 70-90% of the cars ordered. He laughed and told me to be patient and to call back in a couple of weeks...and then he might be able to give me some even better news! Thanks John for the phone #...I was beginning to think my dealership had screwed me and put my order on hold! LOL

I've heard that happens a lot. They put it on hold waiting for all the parts to be staged and then start the build. Hopefully you're wait is almost over.

It happened with mine - this is a real patience testing process - mine was about 12 weeks order to delivery - it is really tough to make heads of their factory and logistics systems - mine sat in the yard at Flat Rock for two weeks - then boom it was at the dealership early the next morning.

Best advice I can give is just be patient - it is WELL WORTH the wait.

I called as well...got the EXACT same message. Material hold, happens to 70-90% of the cars, but I was told to call back in 4-6 weeks. Now I only got my order in a few weeks ago, so that makes sense given that your order was well before mine. I am trying to be patient, but it is hard to do!

when we toured the Romeo facility last year we learned that some of the engine and drivetrain parts are shipped from overseas. I'm not saying that is the problem but it could very well be. If they are waiting for engine blocks (this is just a for instance) to show up from Germany it would certainly put a hold on production.

Has anyone heard if the base Mustang is experiencing the same thing, or is this only the Shelbys?

I ordered my New Boss 302 Laguna Seca in February, and it finally arrived this Tuesday. It was a similar thing, material holds. Sometimes cars get build fast, while other times it takes a long time. Be patient, your car will be well worth the wait.

Alex

When you call SVT, be sure to ask them if they see any other potential problems with your order. The guy I talked to at SVT just happened to look a little further into my order and found that a "compatibility hold" had been placed on my order and my order could not be processed until the problem was fixed. In my case the problem was caused by the dealer when they entered the wrong code for the stripe delete option. Once I notified the dealer of the problem and they corrected the order, everything returned to normal. My order is still

'in processing" and "unscheduled", but at least it is still going forward. BTW, my dealer had no idea there was a problem until I brought it to their attention. Be proactive.

I wonder if there are real (multiple) parts issues or if the long delays are more about volume of orders relative to capacity. I have to think it's more parts related than capacity. The question is it supply, quality or both?

Keep in mind that there are a lot of low production specialty parts that are associated with the GT500, Hand built engine and limited production transmission, just to name two. It would be interesting to see how many 2 man teams there are building these engines and how many they produce a day. I doubt that there is more than two weeks between the building of an engine and the installation of the engine in the car. They only schedule the building of these cars when they are sure all the parts will be available on the day of production.

Agreed...I have been there and seen the engine building process first hand. Great question on the output...I think they said what they could do when I was there, but it was a while ago. I am sure that's the holdup.

I realized recently that with all the mustangs that I've owned (22) I have never actually ordered one...always bought dealer inventory or used. I am much less patient that I thought I'd be.

:yahoo:

Hand assembly for the GT500 motor is done because it is not economically advantages to engineer and impliment a robotic engine assembly protocol for these low #s. Robotic engine assembly is a state of the art process and almost unimagineably precise. Personally I would much prefer an engine that was assembled by a precision, computer controlled machine with laser calibration and quality control. The signatures on these motors are kinda cool but essentially meaningless. Robots aren't showing up for work bitter over a divorce or compromised by the 18 Blue Ribbons they chugged last night. The marketing boys at Ford corporate spin this to their advantage and tout the process as being something extra special when in reality it is what is most economical at this level of mass production.

A friend of mine who also has a 13 Shelby on order received an email from his dealer telling him that as of July 20 all Shelby's at the factory are on hold for quality checks. Wonder if it is the same issue I have with the rear diff in my car. I have an appointment Tuesday to take it in - just over 700 miles on the car.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php/topic/76293-first-casualty/

So I just did a visibility on an order for a customer and updated yesterday 7/20 still moving forward with a build date of 8/6. So all Shelby's are not on hold.

Sorry - should have been more clear - his is built awaiting shipment - looks like they are holding shipment on built orders.

Hand assembly for the GT500 motor is done because it is not economically advantages to engineer and implement a robotic engine assembly protocol for these low #s. Robotic engine assembly is a state of the art process and almost unimaginably precise. Personally I would much prefer an engine that was assembled by a precision, computer controlled machine with laser calibration and quality control. The signatures on these motors are kinda cool but essentially meaningless. Robots aren't showing up for work bitter over a divorce or compromised by the 18 Blue Ribbons they chugged last night. The marketing boys at Ford corporate spin this to their advantage and tout the process as being something extra special when in reality it is what is most economical at this level of mass production.

I agree, but it is a major choke point in the production sequence. and one of the reasons for the slow production scheduling.

I have one that was assigned a railcar 7/19 with an ETA of 7/30. This was updated on 7/19

R004 P8J 1ZVBP8JZ8D5230892 Mustang In Transit Shipped Rail - Railcar # ETTX851345 (Norfolk Southern Corp ) Ramp 58, Melvindale, MI Jul-19-2012, 15:00 ET Jul-30-2012

Hello Roush1486: My car is scheduled to be built on 7/26. Please tell me how to obtain the railcar/transit information. My dealer said that our rail depot is only 10 miles from the dealership and offered to take me to the rail depot to pick up the car rather than wait for it to be delivered by truck to the dealership.

I really appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks much!

Hello Roush1486: My car is scheduled to be built on 7/26. Please tell me how to obtain the railcar/transit information. My dealer said that our rail depot is only 10 miles from the dealership and offered to take me to the rail depot to pick up the car rather than wait for it to be delivered by truck to the dealership.

I really appreciate any information you can give me. Thanks much!

Have your dealer look under fmcdealer.com Once logged in they can look into visibility. I can only see my cars. They can track it once things are updated. :)

So I just did a visibility on an order for a customer and updated yesterday 7/20 still moving forward with a build date of 8/6. So all Shelby's are not on hold.

My car was produced on the 18th and it was released from the plant yesterday. I hope to see by the end of this week.

Have your dealer look under fmcdealer.com Once logged in they can look into visibility. I can only see my cars. They can track it once things are updated. :)

I will do this. Thank you!

Archived