TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Air/Fuel - not WOT

iceman

Does anyone know what we want the A/F to look like at normal driving? Should it be the same 11.5 - 11.7 or leaner/richer? Reason I ask is I just put in the wideband A/F gauge and it looks like I'm running a bit lean at idle through normal driving. I've not had a chance to really look at the WOT yet but expect it may be a bit lean too and so i thought before I go messing with things I'd check and see where I want to be. I'll call Fred as well but any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Does anyone know what we want the A/F to look like at normal driving? Should it be the same 11.5 - 11.7 or leaner/richer? Reason I ask is I just put in the wideband A/F gauge and it looks like I'm running a bit lean at idle through normal driving. I've not had a chance to really look at the WOT yet but expect it may be a bit lean too and so i thought before I go messing with things I'd check and see where I want to be. I'll call Fred as well but any input is appreciated.

Thanks

With all you have on your car, if you are concerned about it being lean I'd take it back or ask the guys that tuned it for you initially. It's such a delicate balance when you have a couple mods, perhaps that's the best way to run with your setup and it's not lean to the point of being potentially harmful.

Does it feel good in normal driving or does it feel like something is lacking?

With all you have on your car, if you are concerned about it being lean I'd take it back or ask the guys that tuned it for you initially. It's such a delicate balance when you have a couple mods, perhaps that's the best way to run with your setup and it's not lean to the point of being potentially harmful.

Does it feel good in normal driving or does it feel like something is lacking?

It feels good - idles nice. Timing is good based on the data logging we did on the dyno for a short time. The low end timing is maybe a little lower than it needs to be but it's the evo stage 4 tune and I didn't want to mess with it before letting them have some say. I think I'll be working on a more custom tune but thought I'd check and see as I added a little WOT fuel last night via the SCT and it seemed to change the whole thing to numbers that look more like what I would think I want to see but I just don't know. It was only 2% but that could be a big deal. The car ran really good both times. The other thing is the new exhaust is still adjusting. It blew a lot of smoke (or more than normal) as there were things burned out initially but now it's not doing that and the droan from 1800-2000 rpm seems to be gone too. I don't expect that could be due to making it 2% richer at WOT so have to attribute it to the exhause getting heated and burning out some of the newness.

The car seems to run great regardless - I just thought it would be closer to the WOT A/F under normal driving - it does richen up as you hit the gas though.

It feels good - idles nice. Timing is good based on the data logging we did on the dyno for a short time. The low end timing is maybe a little lower than it needs to be but it's the evo stage 4 tune and I didn't want to mess with it before letting them have some say. I think I'll be working on a more custom tune but thought I'd check and see as I added a little WOT fuel last night via the SCT and it seemed to change the whole thing to numbers that look more like what I would think I want to see but I just don't know. It was only 2% but that could be a big deal. The car ran really good both times. The other thing is the new exhaust is still adjusting. It blew a lot of smoke (or more than normal) as there were things burned out initially but now it's not doing that and the droan from 1800-2000 rpm seems to be gone too. I don't expect that could be due to making it 2% richer at WOT so have to attribute it to the exhause getting heated and burning out some of the newness.

The car seems to run great regardless - I just thought it would be closer to the WOT A/F under normal driving - it does richen up as you hit the gas though.

Sounds like you have serious problems. You should let me drive it for a couple weeks and let you know what I find.

The tires? Oh, they were like that when you gave it to me. :shift::shift:

14.7 ideal at idle for anyone that wonders. It is the same for anyone running unleaded gas. this car or others which is what I was not sure of and makes me feel much better :)

Iceman,

What bolt ons do you have on your car? Typically, round-the-town driving ratios will vary based on a number of factors, but you'll see anywhere from 14 to 18 when you're crusing the streets (I saw higher on my bone stock GT500 before I bastardized it). You'll know if you're running too lean because the OBDII will kindly, or rudely if it decides to put you failsafe mode, shoot out a P0171 and/or P0174 code. It gets really touchy with Ford's new platform due to the adaptive driving algorithms. Just when you think you've tuned your air/fuel where you want it, the brain decides to twist things around on you. Good luck....

Regards,

Joseph

Iceman,

What bolt ons do you have on your car? Typically, round-the-town driving ratios will vary based on a number of factors, but you'll see anywhere from 14 to 18 when you're crusing the streets (I saw higher on my bone stock GT500 before I bastardized it). You'll know if you're running too lean because the OBDII will kindly, or rudely if it decides to put you failsafe mode, shoot out a P0171 and/or P0174 code. It gets really touchy with Ford's new platform due to the adaptive driving algorithms. Just when you think you've tuned your air/fuel where you want it, the brain decides to twist things around on you. Good luck....

Regards,

Joseph

Thanks - I have a bunch of goodies - JLT CAI, 2.6 pulley, AR Headers would be the main things. I was concerned because I was seeing that range and only knew where I want WOT to be. It's all good. I'm seeing as lean as 16 in normal driving but usually pretty much 13.x-15.x bouncing around. I've had no errors so that's good - just wanted to be sure I was OK and the gauge was reading correctly etc.

Thanks.

Thanks

12.0 or less regardless of your mods. You'll always be lean at idle (14-15 or so). Anything over 12 except for an occasional spike is too lean. And, lean in and of itself doesn't necessarily equal more power. But it WILL equal more pistons on your bill at the end of the year.

bj

12.0 or less regardless of your mods. You'll always be lean at idle (14-15 or so). Anything over 12 except for an occasional spike is too lean. And, lean in and of itself doesn't necessarily equal more power. But it WILL equal more pistons on your bill at the end of the year.

bj

No.............!

"Regular driving" to me is considered idle and driving at part/light throttle. Normal around town & highway cruising stuff. It should ALWAYS be at 14.5-14.8. Anything out of this range in light throttle closed loop will screw up your fuel trims and eventually throw a light if it is too far from these values.

Heavy throttle / WOT it will be richer than this. It will then depend on load and engine speed.

AFR numbers under these conditions are hotly debated and I won't go there in this post :)

Archived