TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tire questions

Stevo

Hi all. I'm running my 07 SGT in local autocrosses. I'm transitioning from 'Novice' to RTR F-stock and I need some rubber to have a chance. I'm considering both the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec and the Hankook Rs3. I need to run the stock rims (at least in size offset etc.) They are the 18x8.5". I was hoping to go from my stock 235/50/18 to a 265/45/18 but thats not looking possible. The best fit seems to be either 245 or 255's. I dont want some low profile euro tire, I wan't to kep the Muscle but require performance. Given the SGT is lowered (and I hear that 265s rub stock GT fenders) what is the biggest tire I can get on this car without roll over or rubbing. The Dunlop is my pick so far as it comes in a 245/45/R18 and seems to have the largest sidewall which I think will look better then biycycle tires... you guys have any advice?

thanks in advance

I have a set of 245-45 Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs on 18x8.5 "Fanblades" which are if I'm not mistaken the same offset and backspacing as the stock "Bullitt" wheels. Aside from the fact that they are very grippy "r-compound" tires and may not be legal for the class you mentioned, I have stressed three different cars on them: a 2006 V6 convertible lowered 1 and 1.5 inches f and r (Steeda Sport springs); a 2009 GT/CS lowered a half and three-quarters inch f and r (FRPP "K" springs; 2008 GT/CS stock suspension. None of them has rubbed anywhere, ever.

I would pick a good set of 255-45 tires in your choice of brands and tread-wear indexes. They will be closer to the standard diameter; the 245s will require an adjustment to the speedometer if realistic speed indication is important to you. And the 255s will generate higher cornering power by a little bit. Larger than 255 will not be good for cornering, on 8.5-inch rims.

I have 255-45-18s on GT500 wheels on one car, and 285-40-18s on GT500 wheels on the other. Neither set rubs at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I went with 245/45/R18. Dunlop Star Specs. I liked the high aspect of these tires and think they provide a little meat to the rim. I could have gone wider but I think the performance would be compromised for AutoX and typically the 255's are either 255/35, or 255/40. Thanks for the advice guys.

-S

Archived