TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Inside line track comparo

So in this segment, Inside line ran the cars at the 'streets of willow' track. The GT500 turned the best lap.....by the numbers it won most of the tests (some by a huge margin) they choose the zl1 as the overall winner....

http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/camaro/2012/2012-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-vs-2013-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-track-comparison-test.html

"This is stupid."

"I'm going to die for sure."

"Is this really a Chevy?"

I thought this part was kinda funny. Though why they r surprised its a chevy when the corvettes have had PTM for a while.

And this is the best comment lol

"Disclaimer: This is purely meant to be humorous.

This is the first thing I thought of after reading this article:

GT500: What are you smiling about?

ZL1: Dude I almost had you!

GT500: Almost had me? You never had me. You never had your car... Ask any racer, any REAL racer. It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winnings winning."

Well a win is a win is a win.... It seems that is beginning to become a common trait in the reviews. At least to me it seems to say that the GT500 is nice but if the ZL1 had this much power it would be outstanding. Well currently the ZL1 does not have the power and when Ford retires this generation of car I would wager that it will have the world class handling that it has always lacked when the new GT500 hits the road....

....I would wager that it (GT500) will have the world class handling that it has always lacked when the new GT500 hits the road....

Let’s just hope that Ford didn’t screw up (remember the Probe?) and we like how the new car looks.....

Reading the artical and some of the reader responses I could help but invision the ZL1 with kiddie training wheels bolted to each side refering to the PTM and magnetic ride making a pig look like a humming bird on the track. I know, not a rational thought as I would love to see the GT500 with the same tech, but it did make me giggle.

Well a win is a win is a win.... It seems that is beginning to become a common trait in the reviews. At least to me it seems to say that the GT500 is nice but if the ZL1 had this much power it would be outstanding. Well currently the ZL1 does not have the power and when Ford retires this generation of car I would wager that it will have the world class handling that it has always lacked when the new GT500 hits the road....

I think the only reason the zl1 is doing better is not because of MRC but actually because of PTM. Since the driver can essentially have his foot all the way down during turns and the system does everything there is no way unless its a good driver that the shelby (as it stands now) could keep up with that. The problem with adding 100 hp on the zl1 like hennesey and lingenfelter is that the supercharger becomes soooooooo screamingly loud it honestly sounds like its about to blow up or die or something. Plus the LSA engine is at its limit and will probably blow up. So you would have to spend like they did 10k just to get it to have the power the shelby does. At that point go buy a zo6 honestly if you are a person who cares about track performance that bad.

I think this is what we can expect to see happen. The GT500 will win on some road courses and the zl1 in others, but the GT500 will always win in any drag race.

Unless you're still drinking GM's koolaid, I don't see how anyone wouldn't consider the GT500 the better car performance wise.

I think this is what we can expect to see happen. The GT500 will win on some road courses and the zl1 in others, but the GT500 will always win in any drag race.

Unless you're still drinking GM's koolaid, I don't see how anyone wouldn't consider the GT500 the better car performance wise.

people who cant drive?

Don't know why everyone is getting their shorts in a bind over this mags report on the GT500 and ZL1...They say good

and bad things about both cars...Yes the GT500 is faster in a strait line the thing has more power..It has 98 more HP...The ZL1

handles better on a road or track..It has a better suspention and bigger rubber..Whats not to understand about that ?...

until Ford comes out with a betterr suspention thats the way all mags will see it I'm sure...Does that matter if you like the Mustang

over the Camaro!!..not one bit IMO!!.. same goes for the guys who want a Camaro.. go out an buy what you like it's that simple..

I agree, I own the car I wanted, honestly I knew with the 2013 GT500 it would be old news. But because of the discounts and cash on hand it worked out. I think most GT500 owners were hoping for total domination. Just speculating but based on the demographics of members on this forum, we are from the big displacment, big horsepower era. For myself growing up we ran on the streets and at the strip. Big horsepower, good traction and weight transfer (e.g. disconnect the front sway bar) made for a potent street machine. Back then if someone would of talked about some fancy magnetic suspension you would of been like whatever, lets line them up.

Apparently the camaro ZL1, is better than many thought and when having someone review it against the flagship 2013 GT500 it was to close for comfort. I honestly though it would be running with my bone stock 2012, if I come across one I'll let you know. I think I am bothered more by GT500 owners saying just wait for the 2015, it will have IRS and this and that.. reminds me of the old days when you beat someone and they make excuses.

I agree, I own the car I wanted, honestly I knew with the 2013 GT500 it would be old news. But because of the discounts and cash on hand it worked out. I think most GT500 owners were hoping for total domination. Just speculating but based on the demographics of members on this forum, we are from the big displacment, big horsepower era. For myself growing up we ran on the streets and at the strip. Big horsepower, good traction and weight transfer (e.g. disconnect the front sway bar) made for a potent street machine. Back then if someone would of talked about some fancy magnetic suspension you would of been like whatever, lets line them up.

Apparently the camaro ZL1, is better than many thought and when having someone review it against the flagship 2013 GT500 it was to close for comfort. I honestly though it would be running with my bone stock 2012, if I come across one I'll let you know. I think I am bothered more by GT500 owners saying just wait for the 2015, it will have IRS and this and that.. reminds me of the old days when you beat someone and they make excuses.

I think most people don't even buy these cars to track them JUST MY OPINION... Now yes they will mod the heck out of them, street race, and burn out ocassionaly, but I just want a cruiser I can go around town in and know I have 662 HP waiting for me to drop my foot LOL!

I am not from the era you speak of , but realistically speaking....I don't think much has changed from then until now,because it is still about line em up. You can always make excuses for which one is better based on one thing or the other. Camaro is the King of the track and Shelby King of the drag....but what situation are you most often going to find yourself in? Ultimately WHO CARES!! I'm not going to brag for a brand, sorry I am making their pockets fat as it is, so I don't need to stick by them on name alone. Ford showed me the goodies and I bought accordingly, If the Camaro wouldn't have been so ugly inside I might have considered it, because I like the outside a lot!

I think most people don't even buy these cars to track them JUST MY OPINION... Now yes they will mod the heck out of them, street race, and burn out ocassionaly, but I just want a cruiser I can go around town in and know I have 662 HP waiting for me to drop my foot LOL!

I am not from the era you speak of , but realistically speaking....I don't think much has changed from then until now,because it is still about line em up. You can always make excuses for which one is better based on one thing or the other. Camaro is the King of the track and Shelby King of the drag....but what situation are you most often going to find yourself in? Ultimately WHO CARES!! I'm not going to brag for a brand, sorry I am making their pockets fat as it is, so I don't need to stick by them on name alone. Ford showed me the goodies and I bought accordingly, If the Camaro wouldn't have been so ugly inside I might have considered it, because I like the outside a lot!

Well said and congrats on the new GT500...It's without dought a screamer.

I feel the same way except with the camaro being king of track. Wait till motortrend's review at leguna seca before you say that. But I may have considered the camaro too if the interior wasn't so ugly looking.

I think you're completely wrong. The ZL1 was touted as the Shelby killer. That was GM's goal from the start. The mags bought into this and know really cared about the Shelby's higher HP numbers. All that extra HP would be a waste if the GT500 couldn't put it to the ground.

Well the '13 GT500 is performing like few believed it could. It's putting down great numbers at the drag strip and it's also beating the ZL1 on the track, yet it get's no love. It gets no respect for doing what most thought it could not do. And somehow the ZL1 can underperform the GT500 and yet receive great reviews. I'm sure it's a very fine car but it failed at what it's #1 goal was and that was leave the GT500 in the dust.

Gentlemen, let's be honest about this .... the new ZL1 is a girl's car so they can drive fast too. The Shelby GT-500 is a car for real men who can drive it fast old school style like Carroll Shelby intend for you to. :yahoo:

So true, its just like I remember them. Except it steers, stops, has a/c, doesnt have points, and more horsepower.

I think you're completely wrong. The ZL1 was touted as the Shelby killer. That was GM's goal from the start. The mags bought into this and know really cared about the Shelby's higher HP numbers. All that extra HP would be a waste if the GT500 couldn't put it to the ground. Well the '13 GT500 is performing like few believed it could. It's putting down great numbers at the drag strip and it's also beating the ZL1 on the track, yet it get's no love. It gets no respect for doing what most thought it could not do. And somehow the ZL1 can underperform the GT500 and yet receive great reviews. I'm sure it's a very fine car but it failed at what it's #1 goal was and that was leave the GT500 in the dust.

+1 :yup:

Gentlemen, let's be honest about this .... the new ZL1 is a girl's car so they can drive fast too. The Shelby GT-500 is a car for real men who can drive it fast old school style like Carroll Shelby intend for you to. :yahoo:

Well, I do see more girls driving new camaros than Mustangs. :hysterical:

Car and Driver just did it again to the shelby.....Basically it put up better numbers slalom and skipad, demolished it straightline and they had the same exact lap time...yet they picked the zl1, because its easier to drive :hysterical2:

the fail in the C/D article is enormous! they claim the zl1 has better amenities....wow

start reading on page 146: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/833599-gt500-vs-zl1-146.html

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that GM has a much larger advertising budget than Ford? Do you think this might have an impact on how a product from GM might be looked upon?

You have to spend to win, at least with the media.

I dont believe the ZL1 is a better car. I guess we just wait for more magazines to review the 2, and question what their criteria is. I know the guys over on SVT performance are ranting like the boys on camaro 5. What motive would the magazines have for bias? They all gave the announcment of the 2013 cover pages, and in depth articles.

I think its pretty amusing, wait until the youtube videos of Shelby's crushing the ZL1 start emerging. Then the camaro guys will be like ya but lets go to the track. :-)

The amount of misinformation is what bothers people, and then they leave out some of the negatives toward the zl1...they only reason they gave the shelby front pages was to sell magazines....if you read the article you can the see the amount of BS being written....but its whatever, I have the better performance car, if I wanted the one that rode the best and was luxurious I would buy a Caddy

The amount of misinformation is what bothers people, and then they leave out some of the negatives toward the zl1...they only reason they gave the shelby front pages was to sell magazines....if you read the article you can the see the amount of BS being written....but its whatever, I have the better performance car, if I wanted the one that rode the best and was luxurious I would buy a Caddy

Yeah havent read the article just some scans on svt site. Its almost like the mags wanna give the camaro its day in the spot light. Theirs no doubt we have the better car in my mind otherwise we would of bought something else. As far as ride, that ridiculous, who in their right mind would buy one of these and even have ride comfort in mind. Its silly thats even part of the criteria. Mark my words though when the shelby goes IRS it will be mentioned.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that GM has a much larger advertising budget than Ford? Do you think this might have an impact on how a product from GM might be looked upon?

You have to spend to win, at least with the media.

Read this interesting article.

http://www.ajr.org/article.asp?id=5141

Archived