TEAM SHELBY FORUM

what products are you using to clean your 13 shelby?

svt13

This may or may not be the right place for this but what brands are you guys using to clean your cars since we can't take them in car washes?

Also what is needed for the car as far as weekly hand washing. And how often should it be waxed?

Going to have mine detailed every 6 months but wondering in between what should I do and what products are best?

I have a detail who does it for me every 6 months...

however im going to invest into the Zainos kit to do it myself from time to time

you have a link for this kit? I'm getting mixed responses for zaino and meguairs

svt13: I have been using Liquid Glass Products for 40 years. I have tried everything over the years and Liquid Glass is the best by far. It never cracks, peels, or fades and just keeps building up. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with 50 coats on it and it looks like new. Multiple coats protect against stone chips. There are NO stone chips on my truck. I have 7 coats on the Shelby now and it glows. I will have 20 coats on it within the next couple of months. The first coat is the hardest (may require the pre-cleaner - but is needed only once). Additonal coats are easy. The Protectant (for plastic, rubber, leather, etc) is the best on the planet. Lasts minimum of 3 months. Black plastic on the Ram looks showroom new after 11 years. If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://shopmpt.us/liquidglass/liquidglass.html

svt13: I have been using Liquid Glass Products for 40 years. I have tried everything over the years and Liquid Glass is the best by far. It never cracks, peels, or fades and just keeps building up. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram with 50 coats on it and it looks like new. Multiple coats protect against stone chips. There are NO stone chips on my truck. I have 7 coats on the Shelby now and it glows. I will have 20 coats on it within the next couple of months. The first coat is the hardest (may require the pre-cleaner - but is needed only once). Additonal coats are easy. The Protectant (for plastic, rubber, leather, etc) is the best on the planet. Lasts minimum of 3 months. Black plastic on the Ram looks showroom new after 11 years. If anyone is interested, here is the link: http://shopmpt.us/li...iquidglass.html

what is liquid glass?

You might want to consider using the clay bars. Do you know where and under what conditions your car was subjected too during the time it left the plant and arrived at your dealer?

I'm not detailing the car lol. When I get the car either monday or tuesday now apparently I'm taking it to my detail guy. I just need stuff for washing it and maintaing it every week.

post-36842-0-25997700-1340405388_thumb.jpg

what is liquid glass?

I'm not detailing the car lol. When I get the car either monday or tuesday now apparently I'm taking it to my detail guy. I just need stuff for washing it and maintaing it every week.

Liquid Glass is a brand of polish and other car car products that has been around for a long time (almost as long as me). If all you want is a washing product then you would not be interested. IMO any car wash willl do. I am a fanatic and would not let anyone detail my car but me. I have tried a lot of products over the years and find Liquid Glass to be the best. Click on the attachment to see the finish on my 11 year old Ram. Looks better than the Shelby for now, but not for long!

I've been using products from Griot's Garage for about 15 years. It's awesome! Really anything they sell is helpful but I swear by their SpeedShine and Spray On Car Wash.

I agree but ther blue MF speed shine towels suck way to much lint.

Thats what I went to is the yellow or white ones. I even emailed Griots about the blue ones and all they said was we know have had people saying the same thing, just wash in cold water dry on high heat. I guess I was hoping for a bit more of a answer then just that I lol.

Liquid Glass is a brand of polish and other car car products that has been around for a long time (almost as long as me). If all you want is a washing product then you would not be interested. IMO any car wash willl do. I am a fanatic and would not let anyone detail my car but me. I have tried a lot of products over the years and find Liquid Glass to be the best. Click on the attachment to see the finish on my 11 year old Ram. Looks better than the Shelby for now, but not for long!

I see. I let this guy detail my car necause he knows what he is doing. And is much more qualified to detail than me. Most likely if I did it I would mess up the paint. I been reading on the proper method for car cleaning and there is a lot of stuff that goes into cleaning a car properly. Especially a black one

I see. I let this guy detail my car necause he knows what he is doing. And is much more qualified to detail than me. Most likely if I did it I would mess up the paint. I been reading on the proper method for car cleaning and there is a lot of stuff that goes into cleaning a car properly. Especially a black one
Glad you found a good detail guy. I have yet to encounter one I would trust. I don't think you could mess up the paint with Liquid Glass. It makes doing a professional job easy. I agree that black paint is a bit more tempermental. My wife has a Jet Black BMW 328i. I have 12 coats of Liquid Glass on it and the difference between before and after is amazing. I took it back to the dealer recently for service and we parked beside a new black BMW on the lot. The difference in the paint was glaring. My wifes car looked like it had a couple of extra coats of clear. Click on attached BMW photo (not the best - I just snapped it while my wife was leaving).

post-36842-0-90870400-1340465072_thumb.jpg

post-36842-0-90870400-1340465072_thumb.jpg

Glad you found a good detail guy. I have yet to encounter one I would trust. I don't think you could mess up the paint with Liquid Glass. It makes doing a professional job easy. I agree that black paint is a bit more tempermental. My wife has a Jet Black BMW 328i. I have 12 coats of Liquid Glass on it and the difference between before and after is amazing. I took it back to the dealer recently for service and we parked beside a new black BMW on the lot. The difference in the paint was glaring. My wifes car looked like it had a couple of extra coats of clear. Click on attached BMW photo (not the best - I just snapped it while my wife was leaving).

It looks like a normal clean new car lol. I guess I'd have to see it in person to notice the difference. Or maybe a picture with a 15 megapixel camera

It looks like a normal clean new car lol. I guess I'd have to see it in person to notice the difference. Or maybe a picture with a 15 megapixel camera

Yeah. Sorry about the photo. You would really have to see it in person to appreciate. The site won't allow anything more than 500KB anyway so showing you a high res photo is impossible. Take my word for it, the Liquid Glass shine is unbeatable!

Yeah. Sorry about the photo. You would really have to see it in person to appreciate. The site won't allow anything more than 500KB anyway so showing you a high res photo is impossible. Take my word for it, the Liquid Glass shine is unbeatable!

So which product by them in particular does this?

So which product by them in particular does this?

The Liquid Glass Polish/Finish for the paint: http://shopmpt.us/liquidglass/lgpolish.html

Before you use it the first time you need to use the pre-cleaner to get all other wax residue off the finish. There is no need to use the pre-cleaner again unless you let the finish turn to crap. Here is the link to the pre-cleaner: http://shopmpt.us/liquidglass/lgpclnr.html.

The only other product you need is the Protectant. Best on the planet for black plastic. Lasts 3 months minimum. http://shopmpt.us/liquidglass/lgcc.html

For the polish you have to put that on with one of those buffer machines right? Or can I do it by hand and rub it in with a towel?

No need to use a machine. I apply the polish using a damp washcloth and remove it with a dry terri-cloth towel. Apply in the shade or a garage when the car is cool. I usually apply to part of the car (like the hood) and buff. I allow at least a couple of days between coats. "Baking" in the sun for an hour or so after application will make the finish harden quickly but is not required.

Tikigrill, I also am a big fan of Griots Garage products but can't stand the lint left behind by the blue MF towels. The only time I can use them is on my lighter car. My SS is Kona Blue and its a mess. I use Speed Shine all the time and find it great. Have you found that using either the white or yellow MF towels work just as well with the Speed Shine? I use the white to remove their wax/sealant. Thanks, take care.

Tikigrill, I also am a big fan of Griots Garage products but can't stand the lint left behind by the blue MF towels. The only time I can use them is on my lighter car. My SS is Kona Blue and its a mess. I use Speed Shine all the time and find it great. Have you found that using either the white or yellow MF towels work just as well with the Speed Shine? I use the white to remove their wax/sealant. Thanks, take care.

I use the yellow with Speed Shine and no lint at all (on black).

heres whayt i use--Maguiars, #s 2,3,6,7 &9. 7 cutsof the uV rays and makes the car paint look alot deeper---2 &3 are light compunds when you get alight scratch not thru the clear--then use 9 to get rid of the swirls--its majic really.I use 7 every 2 weeks.Then they have a vinyl spray forget the number that works on the interior dash etc. I use Black Magic for the hard black rubber surfaces, inlcuidng the grills on the hods. And last but not least is Pig Spit--its incredible on all the hoses et al under the hood--hard to find but motorcylce shops have it.Make sure you use the 2 bucket approach when you wash the car--one for the clean water and one to rinse off the mit

Archived