TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelbys Across Canada: Dearborn To Halifax, NS.

robertlane

Personally, Dubbs.... We appreciate the offer..but we have had a very limited exposure to the Shelby market in Canada and we still have not been recognized as a stand alone, regional entity which we all strongly desire.. If this is to be a " True Canadian adventure", then I believe, we should be allowed to show our American counterparts not only our hospitality, but our committment, and dedication, and our love for the product and the creator, from our prospective...... We believe we deserve the opportunity to extend to our southern Shelby neighbours the same love of car and country that has always been extended to your northern neighbours in the past. I believe, it's time Canada takes the reins, with the blessing from SAI and we can finally cement the bond within these two great nations for a passion that is endless...Carroll Shelby...

Canada and Canadians... the best allies and friends America and Americans could ask for!!! :salute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV_041oYDjg

Warren (Dubbs),

Your offer is very much appreciated, however, the TS Canadian region has to produce this event from their perspecitive and their heart and soul.

A drive across Canada has been something that I wanted to do since 2007 or 2008, so I understand your passion for the drive as well.

Lucky for me, I get the cross the border next week for some Canadian time myself. :shift:

In the early 90's i had the oppertunity to spend two and a half years in Argentia Newfoundland working for the U.S. Navy to close the historic naval base in Argentia. I have lived all over the world and that period stands out as the most beutifull scenery I have ever encountered. We were able to interact with Moose , Fox and Wales and the friendliest nicest pepole I have ever had the privlege of knowing. In the summer months we made a point of driving to St. Johns and as many of the small towns across Newfoundland as possible. I have crossed Canada from Alaska to Nova Scotia, and taken the ferry to Newfoundland. I truly wish i could join you all and I know that this trip will builod memories that will never fade. please post pictures of your adventures along the way.

In the early 90's i had the oppertunity to spend two and a half years in Argentia Newfoundland working for the U.S. Navy to close the historic naval base in Argentia. I have lived all over the world and that period stands out as the most beutifull scenery I have ever encountered. We were able to interact with Moose , Fox and Wales and the friendliest nicest pepole I have ever had the privlege of knowing. In the summer months we made a point of driving to St. Johns and as many of the small towns across Newfoundland as possible. I have crossed Canada from Alaska to Nova Scotia, and taken the ferry to Newfoundland. I truly wish i could join you all and I know that this trip will builod memories that will never fade. please post pictures of your adventures along the way.

Part of Sharon's family are from Newfoundland and they are great people and I've also heard from many people that the culture is just a warm one.

Part of Sharon's family are from Newfoundland and they are great people and I've also heard from many people that the culture is just a warm one.

Robert, I myself was born and raised in Newfoundland (Shea Heights to be exact) which over looks the complete city of St. John's and I still have family there today..

I also have family in Petty Harbour and just last night they were sitting out on their back deck watching a half dozen whales playing in the bay...

This is the reason I will be driving through to Newfoundland once our planned trip ends...I can't be that close and not pay a visit...

Please note: if anyone plans to carry on to Newfoundland you will need to book the ferry and hotels etc. about 6-months in advance as there are only so many ferry trips and so many summer days so it fills up in a real hurry and you need to book a cabin not a seat as it's a looooong cruise and you need to get a good sleep to be fresh for the next day..

A word from Nova Scotia! I can’t believe I missed this thread, on the top line banner.

I agree with a lot of the comments as to where to stop along the way. Halifax is a great place to stop too, and the beauty and fun driving experience of the Cabot Trail is a must.

Every year there is a V12 car group that comes from New England to Halifax for a night and then drives through to the Cabot Trail. They all stay at a large downtown Hotel and do a show in the parking lot. It’s very near the Pier 21 which has been created to remember all of the folks coming into Canada.

The drive from Fredericton to Halifax is about 5 hours by highway, longer if a few scenic loops of the main roads are taken. There are a lot of highlights around the Bay of Fundy for someone who has never witnessed the highest tides in the world.

The drive from Halifax to the Cabot Trail is another 5 hours by highway. The drive around the Trails is a leisurely 4 hours, and is spectacular views. There are some parts you will be tempted to redo. For two reasons, it was fun the first time and going the opposite way is totally different experience.

For those that choose to go on to the Granite Planet (Newfoundland) you will not regret it.

I would love to help out with the Nova Scotia leg.

Cheers Hugh

A word from Nova Scotia! I can’t believe I missed this thread, on the top line banner.

I agree with a lot of the comments as to where to stop along the way. Halifax is a great place to stop too, and the beauty and fun driving experience of the Cabot Trail is a must.

Every year there is a V12 car group that comes from New England to Halifax for a night and then drives through to the Cabot Trail. They all stay at a large downtown Hotel and do a show in the parking lot. It’s very near the Pier 21 which has been created to remember all of the folks coming into Canada.

The drive from Fredericton to Halifax is about 5 hours by highway, longer if a few scenic loops of the main roads are taken. There are a lot of highlights around the Bay of Fundy for someone who has never witnessed the highest tides in the world.

The drive from Halifax to the Cabot Trail is another 5 hours by highway. The drive around the Trails is a leisurely 4 hours, and is spectacular views. There are some parts you will be tempted to redo. For two reasons, it was fun the first time and going the opposite way is totally different experience.

For those that choose to go on to the Granite Planet (Newfoundland) you will not regret it.

I would love to help out with the Nova Scotia leg.

Cheers Hugh

I've already suggested the Bay of Fundy as well....spectacular

We have posted a notice looking for Team Shelby Canada Regional and Provincial Directors here. Once we solidify this, we can move forward with the planning of this event, which I am certain will be totally awesome!

Team Shelby Canada has long been overdue and we're changing that :)

bump

Have been following this topic since it started. Like many other people on here, this is something I have always wanted to do just never had the proper "motivation". We are in!

As has been mentioned before, there is no such thing as too much advance notice. Many of us have to make vacation plans well in advance, plus, as in my wife's case she is in a small office and the closer you get to a certain timeframe the more likely it is someone else will do "dibs" on a certain date/dates.

Robert is going to finalise the Canadian regional directors first and then the planning and dates can be discussed, but we can all still add our 2 cents (Canadian $ of course) to the plan :happy feet:

I thought of a few more date ideas

August will be out because of Woodward

Fall colours would be nice but weather into NB and NFLD is unpredictable, late June usually is good weather across Canada and is in between the 2013 bash and Woodward

Timing for the best weather is July, August, or September. Even in the best of time, weather is some what unpredictable in Nova Scotia.We are out in the Atlantic and subject to weather coming across the water. This summer has be stuning, it has been many many years since the the weather has been consistantly this warm and dry.

As far as the Fall Colours, it generally starts around the Canadian Thanks Giving weekend. A little late in the year, I think.

The Halifax International Air Show chooses a date in Mid September based on the stats for the good clear weather on their weekend.

Still pumped for this event!

Are you planning on coming out this way for the cruise back to NB ?

Timing for the best weather is July, August, or September. Even in the best of time, weather is some what unpredictable in Nova Scotia.We are out in the Atlantic and subject to weather coming across the water. This summer has be stuning, it has been many many years since the the weather has been consistantly this warm and dry.

As far as the Fall Colours, it generally starts around the Canadian Thanks Giving weekend. A little late in the year, I think.

The Halifax International Air Show chooses a date in Mid September based on the stats for the good clear weather on their weekend.

Does this mean the air show is not preplanned well in advance?

I too am in for 2013. Instead of driving the same route back, what about a ferry boat from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to either Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine, or Boston, Massachusetts?

Undoubtably, there will be groups that join the cruise from different parts of Canada and the U.S.

The only ferry that still operates from western NS is from Digby to Saint John NB. This ferry cuts across the Bay of Fundy. It does not save much time, if travelling from Halifax or Cape Breton. There were two ferrys that used to run from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor or Portland, as you mentioned. They stopped running about 4 and 2 years ago repectively. Although these were expensive, they were both good options. I made the trip on the Cat once. It was an impressive all aluminum catamiran(sp), very quick as far as boats go.

I too am in for 2013. Instead of driving the same route back, what about a ferry boat from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia to either Bar Harbor or Portland, Maine, or Boston, Massachusetts?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike I'm in for sure... If you need anything just ask.... I can help with meatballs or anything else yoU may think of.

Awesome thx

We are going to start the discussions this Wednesday when we meet for lunch if you interested, Burlington Mandarin @ 11:30

• 2 weeks later...