TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Things You Like And Dislike About The 2013 GT500

Snoopy49

I though it would be interesting to see what the collective has to say about the Pro's and Con's of the 2013 GT500.

Pro:

I love the retro styling and the overall quality.

Mechanically, I find the engine intriguing. I don't think you will find a better engine. The only improvement would be direct injection.

662 HP and 200 MPH gives me a Platinum card with bragging rights.

Cons:

Transmission, I don't care for the internal ratios. First and sixth gear are too tall. I think I understand why Ford chose them, Tall first gear = better 0-60 times. Extremely tall sixth gear = better fuel economy number and helps avoid the fuel guzzler tax. 1400 RPM = 70 MPH in sixth. When Ford broke 200 MPH, they where in fifth gear. If you had about 1600 HP you might be able to utilize sixth and then you would have a car capable of 325 MPH at 6500 RPM.

I would have liked to see a close ratio 6-speed as an option.

Rear axle: 3.31 is a bit tall for the supplied transmission. A 3.73 should have been offered as an option.

I realize the above cons would have triggered the gas guzzler tax, but the ZL1 is strapped with a $1300 guzzler tax right out the box and it didn't seem to dampen the sales.

2013FordGT500SpeedChart.jpg

I though it would be interesting to see what the collective has to say about the Pro's and Con's of the 2013 GT500.

Pro:

I love the retro styling and the overall quality.

Mechanically, I find the engine intriguing. I don't think you will find a better engine. The only improvement would be direct injection.

662 HP and 200 MPH gives me a Platinum card with bragging rights.

Cons:

Transmission, I don't care for the internal ratios. First and sixth gear are too tall. I think I understand why Ford chose them, Tall first gear = better 0-60 times. Extremely tall sixth gear = better fuel economy number and helps avoid the fuel guzzler tax. 1400 RPM = 70 MPH in sixth. When Ford broke 200 MPH, they where in fifth gear. If you had about 1600 HP you might be able to utilize sixth and then you would have a car capable of 325 MPH at 6500 RPM.

I would have liked to see a close ratio 6-speed as an option.

Rear axle: 3.31 is a bit tall for the supplied transmission. A 3.73 should have been offered as an option.

I realize the above cons would have triggered the gas guzzler tax, but the ZL1 is strapped with a $1300 guzzler tax right out the box and it didn't seem to dampen the sales.

2013FordGT500SpeedChart.jpg

why don't you like it? It makes it feel like an FGT and the FGT is awesome. Plus why do you want to pay just to shift more? Thats really all a 3.73 ratio will do for this car. Your paying to get less top speed, worse fuel milage, and shift more then you need to.

Pros:

I personally like the contrasting stitching on the Cobra on the seats, makes it stand out more.

The obvious, 650hp and 610tq.

Launch control

Adjustable shocks

Wide stripes on SVT package

Track Apps

Quad exhaust like the Boss 302

Cons:

Black panel between the lights, prefer body color

Not a fan of the open grilles

Body colored rockers, at least the black textured ones wear better

Joe

Announced two months after I bought my '12. No regrets I love my '12, but had I known I probably would have waited.

Pros:

* Love the open grille and all the attention to aerodynamics - It definitely need it after 170.

* Love the new engine and the fresh new rear.

* The massive brakes!

Cons:

* Not enough attention to suspension tuning. Bilstein shocks are great, but they can't mask the issues with the crappy rear control arms and bad geometry at work back there. It was "OK" with 550 hp, but 662 will certainly amplify the shortcomings.

* The Tire and wheel package - You can only fool physics for so long. More rubber has to be on the ground. The staggered setup has always baffled me on a chassis that is known to understeer. (Yes engineers, I know you are combating issues with tram lining and steering feel, but still...)

* WAY too tall gears - I've driven a few cars with the 3.31 gears before, and the gap between 2 and 3 is maddening. It's either loafing or screaming, making it annoying searching for the right gear on twisty roads or certain parts of the track. If the tall first year and axle ratio are necessary, then make the spacing between gears closer. .50 6th gear is ridiculously tall on my car with 3.73s.

~~ Hindsight being what it is, I'm glad I got my '11 and would do it again but with a '12 so I could have the Recaros and Torsen.

Pro's- everything new (the obvious)

Con's- Too much plastic (fixing this with carbon fiber replacements) Hate that the interior is similar to a v6 mustang (needs way more alcentera suede), Hard plastic doors instead of some kind of soft material, open grill (afraid of rocks and crap), not enough tech in the suspension. Not enough tech in the car period that ford even puts in their other cars.

Pro's- everything new (the obvious)

Con's- Too much plastic (fixing this with carbon fiber replacements) Hate that the interior is similar to a v6 mustang (needs way more alcentera suede), Hard plastic doors instead of some kind of soft material, open grill (afraid of rocks and crap), not enough tech in the suspension. Not enough tech in the car period that ford even puts in their other cars.

How and where from? Are there replacements for all the exterior plastic on the car? I was wondering. I want the Diffuser, Front Splitter, middle piece that has the Shelby GT500 that is black between the tail lights, and The hood scoop as well. Maybe even the pieces that are a "Semi Grill" on the sides of the giant gap in the front of the car the call an "Open Grill Design"

My guesss is the only thing not being sold for sure right now is the Front Splitter?

How and where from? Are there replacements for all the exterior plastic on the car? I was wondering. I want the Diffuser, Front Splitter, middle piece that has the Shelby GT500 that is black between the tail lights, and The hood scoop as well. Maybe even the pieces that are a "Semi Grill" on the sides of the giant gap in the front of the car the call an "Open Grill Design"

My guesss is the only thing not being sold for sure right now is the Front Splitter?

trucarbon.net. I have the rockers, hood vent, and mirror covers. The front splitter and rear diffuser have to be remade obviously because those are different. If you want a carbon fiber stock hood seibon has one for 1200. I was going to get this but 1500 for a painted cf hood to reduce the weight distrubition by 1 percent is not really worth it to me since I may track this car a couple times per year. They have the decklid panel in carbon fiber on trucarbon, its the same one from the 10-12. I did not get that because I have a black car so I think the decklid in CF would look weird. But I'm sure it looks nice on blue or red candy or race red. They have the CF spoiler and gurneyflap if you want that too I will be getting this when they are not on back order.

I have another company that could custom make interior carbon fiber pieces for me but I am still debating that too if I want to go that route. Think I may just stick with the outside pieces.

Also so far just looking at the cf pieces trucarbon makes some good stuff, though they all have slight flaws for example one of mirror covers has a strand of carbon fiber goiing the wrong way so at the very tip of the back end of the cover if you look really close it looks like a tiny tiny tiny tiny silver line thats about half an inch big. I am looking into getting it exchanged or I may not its sooo small but I am a perfectionist.

Also their shit comes from vietnam surprisingly enough. They can do the infused carbon fiber stuff with a fiber glass backing or make one out of 100% carbon fiber but it becomes obnoxiously expensive the rockers alone go from 800 to 3500. So I just like the carbon fiber for the look so I went with the fiber glass backing.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I don't own one:

Pros:

1. New engine and supercharger
  2. The new rear end with quad tips
  3. The new grilles and additional splitter
  4. The new wheels on the base
  5. Grabber Blue with Black stripes now available
  6. All the new stuff that you don't see - carbon driveshaft, coolers, etc.

Cons:

1. From what I've read - the stereo still lacks the quality that should be in a $60K car
  2. The new headlights with LED strips - just looks weird to me. Don't like them at all.
  3. Painted rocker panels...chips, chips, chips. (if you actually drive the car)
  4. Price - although still a great deal for the performance that you get - it's starting to get to a point where the common man can no longer can swing a new one.

Now that Ive had mine I can make a nice list:

Pros:

Mysync and shaker pro, love it plus the navigation and all its functions

The power and smoothness of the transmission....the car is jekyl and hyde, love that

The color and styling.... its awesome

ambient colors, gauges, headlights and tailights

did I mention 662/631??? yea that is awesome

comfort, rides like a tourer when you need and it demands respect and skills to be driven properly

engine bay is beautiful

base wheels are awesome

sounds epic WOT

Best car ive ever owned

Cons:

No power passenger seat

Prop rod (already ditched)

Resonator(already fixed that)

Exhaust is lacking a lil more raspiness

Shifter is a lil sloppy, but very nice, gotten used to it might still switch it out

rear brake caliper, small and ugly

non-matching foglight

Interior could use a CF styling option, for the rim of the head unit and by the shifter would be perfect

All in all greatest car I have ever owned.....absolutely a dream to drive

Like most everythingbut not open grill design. Waiting for an aftermarket black mesh insert to protect the radiator.

Getting Roush side splitters to protect painted rocker panels, Redline hood struts, resonator delete, JTL oil separator, Cobra shifter ball.

Now that Ive had mine I can make a nice list:

Pros:

Mysync and shaker pro, love it plus the navigation and all its functions

The power and smoothness of the transmission....the car is jekyl and hyde, love that

The color and styling.... its awesome

ambient colors, gauges, headlights and tailights

did I mention 662/631??? yea that is awesome

comfort, rides like a tourer when you need and it demands respect and skills to be driven properly

engine bay is beautiful

base wheels are awesome

sounds epic WOT

Best car ive ever owned

Cons:

No power passenger seat

Prop rod (already ditched)

Resonator(already fixed that)

Exhaust is lacking a lil more raspiness

Shifter is a lil sloppy, but very nice, gotten used to it might still switch it out

rear brake caliper, small and ugly

non-matching foglight

Interior could use a CF styling option, for the rim of the head unit and by the shifter would be perfect

All in all greatest car I have ever owned.....absolutely a dream to drive

When you say head unit you mean around the gauges or the radio bezel?

Now that I've driven the car a lot more. The only thing i could complain about is the shifter could be more crisp, the fog lights should indeed match the head lights (especially if the GT has LED fog lights), and there has to be some kind of carbon fiber options for this car. Other than that its perfect as is (for a 65k car).

STANDARD (820A) 3.31:1

Limited-Slip Differential

SVT Performance Package (821A)

3.31:1 TORSEN® Differential

Ford website has std 820a package listed at 3.55 rear diff. But other tech papers state 3.31. Not sure Which is correct?

Odd, Ford lists the 3.55 as standard on their website when you use their build a car feature. I think someone at Ford missed the typo.

This is directly from the 2013 Mustang Brochure and the information I posted above came from the 2013 GT500 Order Guide.

Shelby® GT500®

Equipment Group 820A

Includes select GT Premium features, plus:

Mechanical

5.8L DOHC 32-valve V8 engine with 650 hp @ 6,500 rpm and 600 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm

6-speed manual transmission

15.0 psi boost

3.31:1 gear ratio with limited-slip rear differential

Brembo 14" vented front rotors with 6-piston calipers

Forged-steel crankshaft and connecting rods

SVT-tuned suspension with unique shocks and springs

Tuned stainless steel H-pipe exhaust with 3.5" tips

Archived