TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Painting Factory Plastic Hood Vents

Snoopy49

What kind of paint would you need to paint the factory plastic hood vents. Would the paint used on the plastic bumpers work? I have seen a few posts that mention spotting, fading, staining and having to be careful not to get wax on the black plastic hood vents. I was thinking that it may be nice to be able to paint them black or body color. If they were color matched to the car, they could be waxed with the car and that would protect them from some of the other problems that have been mentioned. Personally, I like the matt or gloss black color because it contrasts nicely with all the colors, although gloss black would look good on a black car.

Snoopy49: I guess we are going to need a hot line to communicate with each other. If you want to keep your black plastic parts from spotting, fading, staining and keep them looking factory new all the time, use Connoisseur's Choice Protectant by Liquid Glass. Trust me when I say this stuff is so far superior to the other protectants they are not even in the ball park. It will last 3 months minimum. I have an 11 year old Dodge Ram and the black plastic parts all look factory new all time. In addition, this protectant will keep bugs from sticking to the black plastic. Put it on first and any paint polish or wax you accidently get on the plastic will not stick. Just wipe off with a dry cloth. Paint if you want to but I recommend Connoisseur's Choice if you decide to stay with the plastic. Here is the link where you can buy: http://shopmpt.us/li...iquidglass.html

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Just trying to get all my ducks lined up in a row. I am afraid that researching is all I can do until the car arrives.

The only things I know that I will purchase are hood struts, K&N air filter and oil catch cans. I found the struts I like, but am still trying to decide on the catch cans. Any recommendations?

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Just trying to get all my ducks lined up in a row. I am afraid that researching is all I can do until the car arrives.

The only things I know that I will purchase are hood struts, K&N air filter and oil catch cans. I found the struts I like, but am still trying to decide on the catch cans. Any recommendations?

Be careful with the hood struts from California Pony Cars - the paint finish on mine are absolute crap - already contacted them and no reply - going to refinish them myself - would not do business with them.

Archived