TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front Brake Rotors

sebecke1

I had a little shaking in the steering wheel when braking, so I took my 07 vert with just over 11,000 miles on it into the dealer. They told me the stock front rotors were slightly warped, that they couldn't turn them, and they would have to be replaced to the tune of about $500. So, is it true the rotors can't be turned? Seems odd to me.

Thank you,

Scott

I had a little shaking in the steering wheel when braking, so I took my 07 vert with just over 11,000 miles on it into the dealer. They told me the stock front rotors were slightly warped, that they couldn't turn them, and they would have to be replaced to the tune of about $500. So, is it true the rotors can't be turned? Seems odd to me.

Thank you,

Scott

I would get another opinion but even if that's the case it would be a great excuse to upgrade!

You CAN turn them - they just have to be above the min. thickness - which is stamped on the edge of the rotors (by the veins). I have done several with NO PROBLEMS but , yes there are some people who do not want to do it for whatever reason.

NOT true, in general .. but that does not mean yours are not warped or worn beyond service limits, and that is why they are not serviceable.

I just cut my 2007 rotors last month to rid a brake shudder.

The question you need to ask the shop is, are they saying the OEM 14" rotors can not be serviced at ALL? or that yours are worn too far, if the latter, ask them what the service limit it, what yours are at now. If your at or close to the min thickness limit and they still need to be cut, there is your answer.

From the OEM service manual

Brake Disc — 5.4L

Minimum front brake disc 30.0 mm (1.18 in)

Minimum thickness to machine front brake disc 30.6 mm (1.20 in)

There are plenty of guy's that have upgraded here that have little use for their stock rotor(s). I'm sure if you advertised in the appropriate section you could get lightly used take-off's cheap.

A good dealer would turn the rotors ON THE CAR !

I've been out of the automobile repair business for over 15 years and that's what we used to do back then. We had a machine that would shave/clean the rotors while they were still mounted on the car. That way, the rotors were truly machined to the spindle/axle/hub.....whatever !

You CAN turn them - they just have to be above the min. thickness - which is stamped on the edge of the rotors (by the veins). I have done several with NO PROBLEMS but , yes there are some people who do not want to do it for whatever reason.

They probably don't have a brake lathe. That seems to be a thing of the past for Dealers.

I made a LOT of money turning drums & rotors.....

The fools. But I guess they look at it as "money for the Service Dept. or money for the Parts Dept......" money's money. That and they'd have to hire a Tech that knows how to turn drums/rotors (seemingly another dying "art").

Phill

• 1 month later...

So, I have a SuperSnake with the Baer Rotors, can you turn a rotor that is slotted and drilled, I was told today that they couldn't do it.

The slotting and drilling won't stop you. If they're floating rotors, you'd have to turn them without the hats. Is there a min. thickness stamped on them? I have them on my car but never checked to see if there's a min. thickness parameter.

If there is, you can turn them. Even if there isn't, you can turn them...I just can't tell you how far.

Phill

Archived