TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

3.73 after the SS upgrade. I had to re-learn how to drive it, totally different feel. It tries to jump out from under me when I am not paying attention....just like a horse I had growing up.

That's a good description. Do you like the 3.73 or in hindsight wish you had kept the 3.31? I'm on the fence. I worry about getting the car to hook up with the 3.73 and regular driving. I sort of enjoy being able to drive around town and not have to shift a lot, but there is a certain punch that is missing with the 3.31. I also don't want to add another whine to the car as I've heard the 3.73 swap can do.

I love the sound of your car when you launch it going away from the camera. I could play that on a loop!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a good description. Do you like the 3.73 or in hindsight wish you had kept the 3.31? I'm on the fence. I worry about getting the car to hook up with the 3.73 and regular driving. I sort of enjoy being able to drive around town and not have to shift a lot, but there is a certain punch that is missing with the 3.31. I also don't want to add another whine to the car as I've heard the 3.73 swap can do.

I love the sound of your car when you launch it going away from the camera. I could play that on a loop!

So far I would say the 3.73 was a good choice. I haven't had it on the track yet, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. With traction control on, I don't have any issues with regular driving. Once in Advance Trac, I can really make the rear spin, even shifting 3-4-5th. After an hour of 6th gear cruising, my ears feel like I have been riding a Blackhawk helicopter. The drone is pretty deep, and drowns out my stereo.

• 1 month later...

I find the 3.73 are easier to start on a grade stop sign/light. 4th gear on the freeway @60mph is around 3200rpm( It's just getting started at this RPM range). 5th is comfortable @2200 RPM around 60MPH. Got our delivered to Oregon Dec.28th 2014 absolutely LOVE it and people will stop in intersections, speed up, stop along side to give you a thumbs up! As f2redspot says it is loud and with the long tube headers on ours forget the radio (but it sounds awesome).

• 9 months later...

If you decide to go with the grille mesh, will you make it available to non-SS GT500 owners?

I would like the additional protection.

Do you know why the factory went with the open grille?

They went with that for cooling purposes. Try some mosquito bulk screening. It protects against bugs and rocks. You can get it in silver or black and if you get the metal version it will stay in place and you won't see it.

Archived