TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

Carbon Ceramic rotors would most definetly help the GT500. The are extremely light and dissipate heat exceptionally well. The problem with them is not performance, it's cost. A set of rotors can run upwards of $20k depending on the make, size, etc.

How many of you would pay an extra $15-$20k for brakes on your GT500 or SS?

No matter what they are made of rotors will always be a wear items that will require periodic replacement. The rotors are expensive because manufacturing them is very labor intensive and complicated. Brembo has been working ways to lower the cost making these rotors more accecable to the general public.

http://www.ebcbrakes...ic_brakes.shtml

Yeah they're not cheap...My ZR came factory with them and I priced them at the dealer for fun...$3500 each but from what I was told by guys

that road race the ZR1's say they'll last the life of the car if you don't race everyday..don't know just what I'm told.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that's my understanding as well. If frequent track time is seen that they may only last a handful of seasons which is better than an iron rotor that may last half to a full season. I would think that one would need to be a serious track rat to justify the cost of carbon ceramic rotors unless they are included in the purchase of the car. Ford already knew that they were going to a hard time justifying a $65k GT500 without adding another $10K for brakes. People who purchase a top end Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, and a $100k Vette should expect this caliber of brake. Personally I would be more upset that the nearly $100k GT-R that some are so fond of does not come with carbon ceramic rotors.

Yes, that's my understanding as well. If frequent track time is seen that they may only last a handful of seasons which is better than an iron rotor that may last half to a full season. I would think that one would need to be a serious track rat to justify the cost of carbon ceramic rotors unless they are included in the purchase of the car. Ford already knew that they were going to a hard time justifying a $65k GT500 without adding another $10K for brakes. People who purchase a top end Porsche, Audi, Ferrari, and a $100k Vette should expect this caliber of brake. Personally I would be more upset that the nearly $100k GT-R that some are so fond of does not come with carbon ceramic rotors.

It is a little annoying the GTR doesn't have carbon ceramic rotors. I honestly would only want them just because of low brake fade and you'll never have to replace them for a daily driver. As far as stopping power on the street they make zero difference.

Brembo should make a ceramic rotor for these cars. Or just a generic one that will fit our cars. I don't even think they sell any ceramic rotors aftermarket?

Yes, they provide little additional benefit for daily driving, aside from the lower unsprung weight. In fact, depending on their composition they may actually perform worse on the street as they require much more heat than a traditional iron rotor for peak stoping performance.

Still hate the wheels for this car...you would think for all the money they would spruce up the interior more

The car itself looks good, aggressive, but how much does that hood affect aerodynamics and the front chin?? I just find the cost hard to justify unless its only 10K or so

Was doing some research apparently the hood if it had openings would cause the car to stall out when decel at high speeds. Apparently it blew the spark out from too much air? The CF splitter which I have now is fine and doesn't effect aero at all. The additional splitter we have is only useful at speeds above 140 anyways. How often are you going 140???

According to another member though who has this hood says to me that at above 130 he doesn't feel any drag nor does he have hood pins and the hood did not blow off or rattle. So something to keep in mind if your thinking about going this route.

In my opinion the only thing worth getting off this car is the hood and splitter.

From everything I've seen about this car since its inception, it is in my opinion that you're purchasing the labeling of CS dash plaque and the visual upgrades of the exterior and interior for the car, more than the performance upgrades.

Tires sizes from the photos that I've seen are showing 255/35ZR20 front with 315/35ZR20 rear. To reduce the front tire size while increasing the rear, they've built a car more suited for straight line performance than cornering. I believe this was done more for a visual effect of being able to use a wheel with a deeper dish and have the tires clear the inner fenders. They have used the FRPP springs to drop the car and added the Watts Link to get rid of the panhard bar and lower the roll center to improve handling, but with the smaller tires on the front I still think the tires will give up sooner or be equal to the stock SVTPP set up and tires. The brake upgrade is a wash in my opinion. They got rid of a 15" single piece rotor and mono-block calipers for a 14" 2 piece rotor and a 2 piece caliper. The only benefit I see is reduced un-sprung weight in the front axle. They also should have only been slotted rotors and not slotted/cross drilled. The standard SS rear brake upgrade is strictly for a un-sprung weight advantage, until you upgrade with the optional rear brake kit with the 4 piston calipers. But does this system have any more braking effect on the car than with the stock set up? Again is it really a performance upgrade or a visual upgrade with the perception of a better braking package. Anybody can add the brake cooling hose kits and better compound pads fairly cheaply to reduce brake fade to the stock system.

A pulley change and tune can be had anywhere at a reasonable price to achieve the 750 Hp of the base model SS

I was seriously considering doing a SS conversion to a 2013. My thoughts are now that I'll do it myself with the upgrades to increase handling performance first and foremost. In fact I've already started gathering parts

For clarity, we do know the HP range will be in the 850 + range for the 2013 Super Snake. The wheel size will be similar to the SVT pack on the front and 11" wide on the rear. Tires will be Michelin Sports. Wheels are 3 piece modular with hidden hardware certified for over 200 MPH.

The "value" equation is having a vehicle converted at Shelby American in Las Vegas with documentation vs. a Shelby GT500 with owner installed parts. No or low ROI. Long term value is collector car market dictated. Look at the latest results from the Monterey auctions. They speak for themself.

The braking package is a system package including the parts you cannot see for more precise pedal feel and predictable modulation. Cooling concerns have also been addressed with up to a 40 degree decrease in temperature at idle and under load. Several modification you cannot see make the total package.

Roger

From everything I've seen about this car since its inception, it is in my opinion that you're purchasing the labeling of CS dash plaque and the visual upgrades of the exterior and interior for the car, more than the performance upgrades.

Tires sizes from the photos that I've seen are showing 255/35ZR20 front with 315/35ZR20 rear. To reduce the front tire size while increasing the rear, they've built a car more suited for straight line performance than cornering. I believe this was done more for a visual effect of being able to use a wheel with a deeper dish and have the tires clear the inner fenders. They have used the FRPP springs to drop the car and added the Watts Link to get rid of the panhard bar and lower the roll center to improve handling, but with the smaller tires on the front I still think the tires will give up sooner or be equal to the stock SVTPP set up and tires. The brake upgrade is a wash in my opinion. They got rid of a 15" single piece rotor and mono-block calipers for a 14" 2 piece rotor and a 2 piece caliper. The only benefit I see is reduced un-sprung weight in the front axle. They also should have only been slotted rotors and not slotted/cross drilled. The standard SS rear brake upgrade is strictly for a un-sprung weight advantage, until you upgrade with the optional rear brake kit with the 4 piston calipers. But does this system have any more braking effect on the car than with the stock set up? Again is it really a performance upgrade or a visual upgrade with the perception of a better braking package. Anybody can add the brake cooling hose kits and better compound pads fairly cheaply to reduce brake fade to the stock system.

A pulley change and tune can be had anywhere at a reasonable price to achieve the 750 Hp of the base model SS

I was seriously considering doing a SS conversion to a 2013. My thoughts are now that I'll do it myself with the upgrades to increase handling performance first and foremost. In fact I've already started gathering parts

I wouldn't do an SS this year. For every model year before hand pretty much every thing they did was an a complete upgrade. Now this package no longer justifies the price. If the value of this is that its done by shelby which all these ss owners are complaining about how poor the quality control is then I'll pass and just do the true upgrades myself and save the 20k.

And where did you see the watts link? It wasn't even mentioned in that article?

Honestly I think if they had a better wheel design and got rid of those tips there would be A LOT more people excited by this car.

At the VERY least the wheels.

But as it stands... I don't think the new package will catch on like the previous years.

2013-Shelby-GT500-Super-Snake-623x389.jpg

vs.

Ford-Shelby-GT500-Super-Snake-2011-Front-Side-Picture.jpg

Just doesn't compare.

For clarity, we do know the HP range will be in the 850 + range for the 2013 Super Snake. The wheel size will be similar to the SVT pack on the front and 11" wide on the rear. Tires will be Michelin Sports. Wheels are 3 piece modular with hidden hardware certified for over 200 MPH.

The "value" equation is having a vehicle converted at Shelby American in Las Vegas with documentation vs. a Shelby GT500 with owner installed parts. No or low ROI. Long term value is collector car market dictated. Look at the latest results from the Monterey auctions. They speak for themself.

The braking package is a system package including the parts you cannot see for more precise pedal feel and predictable modulation. Cooling concerns have also been addressed with up to a 40 degree decrease in temperature at idle and under load. Several modification you cannot see make the total package.

Roger

Roger

I've tried a number of times to talk and email with your sales staff about the 2013 cars, the responses I've gotten where all directed towards the 2012 and earlier models. The thing they should have done was tell me that the 2013 was in development and that they would contact me as soon as they had specs and pricing on a 2013 SS package

First and foremost your sales staff needs to publish more information about exactly what is being done to modify the cars and the specs of those mods. Your brochures are very elusive in the actual description of the upgrades Second if you truly want to market this as a performance upgrade, along with the marque, you need to do back to back comparison tests stock versus a Super Snake. Telling me the 2013 SS will have 850+ Hp doesn't mean anything if you can't put that power to use due to chassis and tire limitations.

If you think you're the only company that is offering a wheel certified to handle 200+ mph for a Mustang think again. But your answer told me why you didn't go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in a 275/35ZR20 as it has never been certified above 186 mph. But how many of these cars will ever see north of 140 mph for any sustained amount of time. If these cars see any track time the speeds won't go above this but the smaller tires may hurt the handling. Yes you've added the watts link and lowered the rear roll center of the car. This will help immensely, you've added larger tires in the rear to add forward bite and lateral grip, but have you added understeer by going to a smaller tire or not upgrading to a larger tire in the front to more closely match the extra lateral grip you've added in the rear? Using the throttle to steer the car around a corner is fun, but it isn't the fastest way around a corner. It is also hard on the rear tires that give up quickly due to extra heat.

The brakes.......Hmmm were do I start. Okay, you've added stainless steel braided lines to get rid of the hose expansion.....this increases feel and allows for easier modulation of the brakes. Ford installed a pad that has a higher initial grip upon brake application, again your brake upgrade uses a different compound pad that allows for easier modulation of the brakes. Again back to back comparison brake testing of your product versus stock would be nice. 100 to 0 and 60 to 0 MPH tests both when both systems are cold and after 10 or 20 repeated stops...........does your brakes stand up to the challenge? Printed results will say a lot to a customer whether they are verified in a journalistic newsprint or not.

Now maybe I'm being picky and you think I'm not willing to put my wallet where my mouth is when it comes to a SS. MY goal isn't about ROI or a marque name on a car.........my goal is strictly performance driven, something Carroll Shelby knew all about. Google....... Mr. Haney CATERPILLAR engines........... and you'll find out I'm not a character on a TV show from long ago. My personal truck was on a chassis dyno in May of this year at a dyno contest and put down 1512 Hp with over 12,000 lb-ft to the tires before I shut it down due to wheel hop. The factory Rep from Taylor Dynamometer had never seen anything like that before and was happy his dyno didn't break with the power the truck produced. My email address is horsepower_addict@#######.net I'm strictly performance driven in my goal for this car, show me the performance attributes of your SS package versus stock. The things I've purchased to date don't interfere with a SS package being installed and actually will enhance the cars handling

I have ridden in a 67 GT500 long before they became collectable that car was strictly about the performance upgrades and not the name on the plaque or ROI. Remember that, because the name can be tarnished if the performance doesn't match the customers expectations. I don't see the Chrysler products with the Shelby name on it producing a ROI........they were a marketing ploy for Chrysler, nothing more. Don't head down that road as a company, because you won't survive

Roger

I've tried a number of times to talk and email with your sales staff about the 2013 cars, the responses I've gotten where all directed towards the 2012 and earlier models. The thing they should have done was tell me that the 2013 was in development and that they would contact me as soon as they had specs and pricing on a 2013 SS package

First and foremost your sales staff needs to publish more information about exactly what is being done to modify the cars and the specs of those mods. Your brochures are very elusive in the actual description of the upgrades Second if you truly want to market this as a performance upgrade, along with the marque, you need to do back to back comparison tests stock versus a Super Snake. Telling me the 2013 SS will have 850+ Hp doesn't mean anything if you can't put that power to use due to chassis and tire limitations.

If you think you're the only company that is offering a wheel certified to handle 200+ mph for a Mustang think again. But your answer told me why you didn't go with the Michelin Pilot Super Sport in a 275/35ZR20 as it has never been certified above 186 mph. But how many of these cars will ever see north of 140 mph for any sustained amount of time. If these cars see any track time the speeds won't go above this but the smaller tires may hurt the handling. Yes you've added the watts link and lowered the rear roll center of the car. This will help immensely, you've added larger tires in the rear to add forward bite and lateral grip, but have you added understeer by going to a smaller tire or not upgrading to a larger tire in the front to more closely match the extra lateral grip you've added in the rear? Using the throttle to steer the car around a corner is fun, but it isn't the fastest way around a corner. It is also hard on the rear tires that give up quickly due to extra heat.

The brakes.......Hmmm were do I start. Okay, you've added stainless steel braided lines to get rid of the hose expansion.....this increases feel and allows for easier modulation of the brakes. Ford installed a pad that has a higher initial grip upon brake application, again your brake upgrade uses a different compound pad that allows for easier modulation of the brakes. Again back to back comparison brake testing of your product versus stock would be nice. 100 to 0 and 60 to 0 MPH tests both when both systems are cold and after 10 or 20 repeated stops...........does your brakes stand up to the challenge? Printed results will say a lot to a customer whether they are verified in a journalistic newsprint or not.

Now maybe I'm being picky and you think I'm not willing to put my wallet where my mouth is when it comes to a SS. MY goal isn't about ROI or a marque name on a car.........my goal is strictly performance driven, something Carroll Shelby knew all about. Google....... Mr. Haney CATERPILLAR engines........... and you'll find out I'm not a character on a TV show from long ago. My personal truck was on a chassis dyno in May of this year at a dyno contest and put down 1512 Hp with over 12,000 lb-ft to the tires before I shut it down due to wheel hop. The factory Rep from Taylor Dynamometer had never seen anything like that before and was happy his dyno didn't break with the power the truck produced. My email address is horsepower_addict@#######.net I'm strictly performance driven in my goal for this car, show me the performance attributes of your SS package versus stock. The things I've purchased to date don't interfere with a SS package being installed and actually will enhance the cars handling

I have ridden in a 67 GT500 long before they became collectable that car was strictly about the performance upgrades and not the name on the plaque or ROI. Remember that, because the name can be tarnished if the performance doesn't match the customers expectations. I don't see the Chrysler products with the Shelby name on it producing a ROI........they were a marketing ploy for Chrysler, nothing more. Don't head down that road as a company, because you won't survive

+1 Don't use the shelby name as a crutch to compensate for imcompetence. The super snake package is about getting better performance. Nobody is making money by converting their shelbys into an SS. They do it because of the benefits. If your only benefit is that it was done by you guys and bares your name you guys won't last long as stated above. Shelby American has the potential to be the greatest after market solution if its run properly and effectively.

Are these SS packages only available in the year the car is still being produced? Is it possible that 3 years down the line they can make mine an SS? I ask because obviously it is already something to take on a car payment this large, so trying to get it this year is out of the question, but it should be paid off by next year so I should be able to do it then. Just wondering.I like what I see so far!

If you go on shelbys website they give you the option to build an 07 SS even. Or maybe its 09 idk 07-09 same car. And they give the option to build a 2012 or 2010 SS. Maybe they bought quite a few donor cars and have been holding on to them incase people want to do an SS conversion later down the road. Though I wouldn't do the 13 SS until its proven to be an actual upgrade and if they offered it with a red stripe since my car is black. Though I really want to see that shelby blue stripe. Maybe its a SS style grabber blue stripe. That would be so nice.

Are these SS packages only available in the year the car is still being produced? Is it possible that 3 years down the line they can make mine an SS?

You can still get any GT500 up-fitted to a Super Snake. From 2007 to 2013. Each "era" has it's own different features ('07-'09, 2010, 2011 & '12 and 2013).

Phill

Maybe in 4-5 years instead of buying a new car I will SS mine, but ask them to neglect on certain "upgrades" aka those wheels.

Good luck on THAT! I asked them to give me a stripe delete SS and they refused.

Phill

Saying some of the value is having it done by Shelby rather than owner installed parts may be true. But what if the owner bought all exact parts the SS's use and had them installed by Shelby and have all the documentation to show for it. That's not exactly owner modified. That is the case for me. I have been trying to see about getting the SS'd because the only Super Snake parts I am missing is the Supercharger, upgraded interior, and the SS emblems and stripes. But even though all parts are exactly Shelby SS parts, installed by Shelby, and bought from Shelby, still need to take them off and buy the whole SS package and get the same parts again. Doesn't make sense and not practical for 95% of the people that can't afford a $30k+ package all at once. But I do understand there is a process and line the cars need to follow. Just disappointing.

You can still get any GT500 up-fitted to a Super Snake. From 2007 to 2013. Each "era" has it's own different features ('07-'09, 2010, 2011 & '12 and 2013).

Thanks, Phill! I've asked Shelby American for that exact information, several times. Not one of their responses actually answered the question.

I had my car SuperSnaked at Shelby , built by Shelby ! Now , I am Extremely PROUD that I have a Shelby 2007 GT 500 SuperSnake from the Las Vegas Shelby American plant that builds Shelby cars . My dream came true,,, own a beast built by Shelby.

maybe more exclusive that way

I had my car SuperSnaked at Shelby , built by Shelby ! Now , I am Extremely PROUD that I have a Shelby 2007 GT 500 SuperSnake from the Las Vegas Shelby American plant that builds Shelby cars . My dream came true,,, own a beast built by Shelby.

maybe more exclusive that way

Yea for a 2007 its 100% worth it.

Archived