TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2013 Shelby GT500 Super Snake

The issue I see with this option is that SA builds the Super Snake, not the owner. If the only option for a budgeted owner is to build in levels for a final "Super Snake" at level three, the owner is going to have to send the car back to Shelby for each level upgrade, for my Super Snake build it was a round trip cost of $2400 from Fla. to Las Vegas and back. I don't know that many budget owners would "also" be interested in multiple trips to Shelby with their car.

I agree. What this would do is allow someone to get the process started with a "Stage 1" Super Snake, get a CSM# and registered in the registry as a SS, then finish it off themselves for much less than if they had to send it back to SA 1 or 2 more times to get Stage II and/or Stage III.

They'd be opening up a whole can of worms with that.

And besides, that's exactly what Jack Roush does with a Mustang. He makes a Stage 1, 2 and 3 Roush. Or he lets the customer do it by selling them all of the parts.

Phill

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. What this would do is allow someone to get the process started with a "Stage 1" Super Snake, get a CSM# and registered in the registry as a SS, then finish it off themselves for much less than if they had to send it back to SA 1 or 2 more times to get Stage II and/or Stage III.

They'd be opening up a whole can of worms with that.

And besides, that's exactly what Jack Roush does with a Mustang. He makes a Stage 1, 2 and 3 Roush. Or he lets the customer do it by selling them all of the parts.

Phill

From what I read, the car would not be a Super Snake CSM'ed car until Stage 3, but that is also an issue. If Shelby builds the car to their spec., the car would only be a CSM GT500 with appearance, suspension and non-hp upgrades until Stage 3?? <<Super Snake items w/o being a Super Snake.........again, thankfully SA does not allow Joe Lunchbox Super Snake builds, there is a quality/required specification that they build the cars to. I do not see the advantage to building the car in stages if it is not ging to be a "Super Snake" labeled car. My post #57 would get the Super Snake label on the car, save a Super Snake interested buyer some $$$, and also be built to SA specs.

The entry level 2013 could even have a tune installed as part of the appearance package to boost the hp somewhat without a full blown blower change. A tune add for a hp bump would be a low cost add to the appearance package, maybe an entry level Super Snake at 680 horse?

R

Bascally the SS package at one fell swoop is expensive. I currently have everything a SS has but do not have a SS because Shelby did not build it. Offer packages and designate that in the registry. Give people the option to build as they go. If you want a SS them you must take it to a authorized facility. Bottom line make it accessible! Suspension, stopping power, then horse power, how mush faster would the car be with the power to the ground. I do not like the camaro but it stops better, and rides better than the mustang. Give us some true upgrades like magnetic ride suspension, NASCAR brakes, I believe there is a company making them now, for our cars. Mostly what I see is cosmetic, not true performance enhancements. These cars should truly be terrorizing! Just my opinion.

Bascally the SS package at one fell swoop is expensive. I currently have everything a SS has but do not have a SS because Shelby did not build it. Offer packages and designate that in the registry. Give people the option to build as they go. If you want a SS them you must take it to a authorized facility. Bottom line make it accessible! Suspension, stopping power, then horse power, how mush faster would the car be with the power to the ground. I do not like the camaro but it stops better, and rides better than the mustang. Give us some true upgrades like magnetic ride suspension, NASCAR brakes, I believe there is a company making them now, for our cars. Mostly what I see is cosmetic, not true performance enhancements. These cars should truly be terrorizing! Just my opinion.

An option for what you have discribed above would be for SA to discount the Super Snake build for items that have been purchased through SPP, suspension, brakes and other exact Super Snake items that have been owner installed before the CSM Super Snake upgrade at an authorized install location. You also mention magnetic suspension, NASCAR barkes..............There are plenty of owners out there who complained about $4K for a Baer 6 piston rear upgrade............and that was/is rear brakes only....

The key with these bigger items............will they sell to the masses OR the better questions? Will the engineering and development time be worth while (make a profit), and will the owners "wallet up" once these big ticket items are offered through SPP?

R

The way I see it, Ford built a stock 'Super Snake' when they released the 2013 GT500. By offering things like a cold air intake system, a revised supercharger, an ECM recalibration, differential gear size options, suspension upgrades and wheel/tire combinations they have essentially observed what the "aftermarket" tuners have done and offered it standard (or as an option) straight from the factory. Why you want to spend another $40k+ to have SAI change the stripes, replace the suspension/wheels or slap on a Whipple doesn't make much sense. With a 2007-2009 GT500 it at least made some sense, since there was a ton of performance potential left on the table with the stock offering.

If you really must offer a 2013SS, I would look at ways to restrict the package, rather than open it up. It should address the shortcomings of the current 2013 GT500 and the existing 2012 Super Snakes. That means, it absolutely must have better traction. Should have some weight savings. As far as stripes go, why not offer a stripe delete? And maybe you have additional color choices, but they should not be wide open. A formally trained designer should evaluate what Ford offers with their paint colors and stripe options and come up with a similar strategy..one that leverages specific color combinations for the years in which a specific color is available (such as Gotta Hate It Green). The last thing we need is some random dude picking butt ugly color combinations for their SS.

The way I see it, Ford built a stock 'Super Snake' when they released the 2013 GT500. By offering things like a cold air intake system, a revised supercharger, an ECM recalibration, differential gear size options, suspension upgrades and wheel/tire combinations they have essentially observed what the "aftermarket" tuners have done and offered it standard (or as an option) straight from the factory. Why you want to spend another $40k+ to have SAI change the stripes, replace the suspension/wheels or slap on a Whipple doesn't make much sense. With a 2007-2009 GT500 it at least made some sense, since there was a ton of performance potential left on the table with the stock offering.

Come on, you know how it is in the car guy world...........The Bigger Stick...........Why settle for a measily 660 horse when you can have SA bump it up a little with a Kenne Bell, 800, 900 or 1000?

On the serious side.......Yes traction is an issue. My 725 does much better with the widened Alcoa's (12") and a 325/30 rear tire. My heavy nosed 2008 model also grips better when tossed into a turn with a 275/35 (10" Alcoa) on the front instead of the 255's with the 9" Alcoa.

R

You have to be careful with all this stage one, two and three stuff because it could degrade / dilute past - future super snake values as a one of a kind car. As it is now it’s a stand alone in a crowd car. Not everyone can have one which adds to the whole persona about the car. You start having GT500’s doctored up by Joe “the tree mechanic” with a Shelby installed/registered SS appearance package sitting beside a “true blue” SS CSM number car it takes away something. It’s diluted and not the same anymore. You’ve ruined an elite car to just appeal to the masses.

And what’s next…an entry level GT350 at $9,900.00. Why would you spend $40K when you can get the same pop for $10K? In the end, CSM numbers or not, it wouldn’t mean a whole lot anymore.

Just my very humble opinion.

Bill

Come on, you know how it is in the car guy world...........The Bigger Stick...........Why settle for a measily 660 horse when you can have SA bump it up a little with a Kenne Bell, 800, 900 or 1000?

you're right. all i'm really saying is that the SVT team is making continual improvements in all areas and it would appear that they are mimicking what the aftermarket is doing. the 2010 had a cold-air intake and tune worth an additional 40-50hp from the factory (in response to what the KR program was doing a year or two earlier). i just bought Steeda rims for mine and i'm running 275 upfront and 315 outback. it grips WAY better.

while high horsepower number capture the imagination, they only tell part of the story. talk to any car buff driving a M-series, Vette, etcetera and they all say the same thing about the GT500. too much power, not enough traction and too heavy. personally, i don't put that much stock in what those guys think (i like my GT500 just fine), but there is some truth to those statements. a lot of folks bash the early Shelby GTs for their lack of power, but they helped spawn the current muscle car market and they have something the Super Snakes lack - BALANCE. you can drive those cars at their limits and have a lot of fun doing it because you aren't going to spin the rear wheels when you plant the throttle at 90mph.

As far as stripes go, why not offer a stripe delete? And maybe you have additional color choices, but they should not be wide open.

I think Shelby should only offer the colors of stripes that came with the color of the car from the factory.

For instance, if you (like me) have a Kona Blue car that came with White stripes, they should offer the Super Snake with a white stripe, OR the standard matte black OR a stripe delete.

If your KB car had a silver stripe, offer a SS Silver stripe OR the 'standard' matte black OR a stripe delete.

Same with the KB w/Red (SVTPP), etc.

Aw hell, why stop there. If Shelby would offer ONLY OEM Ford colors (regardless of base color but not deviate away from OE colors) they'd make *everyone* happy. They could make it a 'at cost' option for anything other than the matte black (or even matte white since they offer that option now) so guys like me, that bought a BLUE car with WHITE stripes can have a BLUE car with a WHITE stripe (or Black car and SILVER stripe, or Blue car with RED stripe, etc.). I bought a Blue car w/White stripes for a reason, because I like the color combo and I do NOT like the Blue/black combo.

And that way, your Shelby Super Snake base & stripe colors would match the factory applied window sticker, IF SO DESIRED (by the owner).

JMHO,

Phill

I think Shelby should only offer the colors of stripes that came with the color of the car from the factory.

For instance, if you (like me) have a Kona Blue car that came with White stripes, they should offer the Super Snake with a white stripe, OR the standard matte black OR a stripe delete.

If your KB car had a silver stripe, offer a SS Silver stripe OR the 'standard' matte black OR a stripe delete.

Same with the KB w/Red (SVTPP), etc.

Aw hell, why stop there. If Shelby would offer ONLY OEM Ford colors (regardless of base color but not deviate away from OE colors) they'd make *everyone* happy. They could make it a 'at cost' option for anything other than the matte black (or even matte white since they offer that option now) so guys like me, that bought a BLUE car with WHITE stripes can have a BLUE car with a WHITE stripe (or Black car and SILVER stripe, or Blue car with RED stripe, etc.). I bought a Blue car w/White stripes for a reason, because I like the color combo and I do NOT like the Blue/black combo.

And that way, your Shelby Super Snake base & stripe colors would match the factory applied window sticker, IF SO DESIRED (by the owner).

JMHO,

Phill

+1

Dump all the CF cosmetic stuff which does nothing for performance and make a real lightweight CF hood. And maybe a roof or trunk lid.

A trunk lid would do hardly anything. If you want CF stuff to be made to lose weight then doors,hood, front and rear bumper are a must. Again the roof hardly weights anything to begin with as well.

MRS is made by the company Delphi. In the beginning Audi bought products from them which was the first compay to use MRS. Then GM bought out the company Delphi entirely so they would be the only ones to use it. They sold some of it to ferrari so the only 3 companies that use MRS are ferrari,audi, and GM. What shelby could do is use the bilstein damptronic shocks the GTR hases where it has 3 modes of adjusting. BMWs do the same. I wonder what lamborghuni or posche uses. I am sure its also some form or equivalent of the 3 mode obilstein damptronic. The shelby has that but its different from the GTR or BMW as it only has 2 modes.

you're right. all i'm really saying is that the SVT team is making continual improvements in all areas and it would appear that they are mimicking what the aftermarket is doing. the 2010 had a cold-air intake and tune worth an additional 40-50hp from the factory (in response to what the KR program was doing a year or two earlier). i just bought Steeda rims for mine and i'm running 275 upfront and 315 outback. it grips WAY better.

while high horsepower number capture the imagination, they only tell part of the story. talk to any car buff driving a M-series, Vette, etcetera and they all say the same thing about the GT500. too much power, not enough traction and too heavy. personally, i don't put that much stock in what those guys think (i like my GT500 just fine), but there is some truth to those statements. a lot of folks bash the early Shelby GTs for their lack of power, but they helped spawn the current muscle car market and they have something the Super Snakes lack - BALANCE. you can drive those cars at their limits and have a lot of fun doing it because you aren't going to spin the rear wheels when you plant the throttle at 90mph.

The below link is only a 725 with 275's on the rear, but the list of competitors seem to be considered to be balanced cars? Even considered World Class Cars? Check it out.......

http://www.teamshelb...__fromsearch__1

You would think that hp would only go so far if the Super Snake was that far out of balance? and in the end it would have just been one of the cars finding its place back in the pack? somewhere?

The GT500's (all of them) have a weight disadvantage and it takes power to move weight, and then real power to compete against world class cars and be out front.

R

Seen a rolling red 13' with no stripes, at the L.S. Shelby shop today, with brushed alum. SHELBY 1000 type wheels.

Car seemed not fully finished. Might be a SS...?

Not alowed to take pictures.

Looked GREAT!!!

+ Seen a dark grey SHELBY 1000 outside of the Shelby Speed Shop.

Took pictures (see my gallery).

Had black SHELBY 1000 wheels

That car looked and sounded (It then drove into a hall) absolutely mean.

What a great day!

Seen a rolling red 13' with no stripes, at the L.S. Shelby shop today, with brushed alum. SHELBY 1000 type wheels.

Car seemed not fully finished. Might be a SS...?

It's a Super Snake.

Pics have been posted all over the place on TS. They are from the Shelby Facebook page.

Phill

if they were smart, hint hint, they would offer a removable grill or grills. one that looked good protecting the radiators during normal driving (black powder-coated wire mesh) and that could be easily left off for track driving. i should illustrate a couple sketches of a super snake prototype and have them hire me as a design consultant...hmmm.

so far based on the pictures Im not impressed especially for the price....and the wheels are absolutely horrid!

I agree the wheels suck but other than that I like it...Alcoe's are the best wheel for looks on any Stang IMO.

One other thing that I would really love on the SS is Carbon ceramic brake pads and rotors not only does it save weight but you can

drive all day long without much if any brake dust on the side of the car.

I agree the wheels suck but other than that I like it...Alcoe's are the best wheel for looks on any Stang IMO.

One other thing that I would really love on the SS is Carbon ceramic brake pads and rotors not only does it save weight but you can

drive all day long without much if any brake dust on the side of the car.

At first I was excited when Roger said they have been testing with carbon ceramic rotors for the last 9 months. But then I learned that carbon ceramic rotors chip easily. Apparently a lot of zr1 owners chip theirr rotors just by taking and putting on their wheels. This would get me nervous about buying a set. Also you can't get anything on them besides soap and water. No crazy chemicals.

Is there a difference between carbon ceramic brake pads and the regular ceramic brake pads that for example hawk sells? Or are they the same?

At first I was excited when Roger said they have been testing with carbon ceramic rotors for the last 9 months. But then I learned that carbon ceramic rotors chip easily. Apparently a lot of zr1 owners chip theirr rotors just by taking and putting on their wheels. This would get me nervous about buying a set. Also you can't get anything on them besides soap and water. No crazy chemicals.

Is there a difference between carbon ceramic brake pads and the regular ceramic brake pads that for example hawk sells? Or are they the same?

The ZR1 comes with rotor protectors for when you have to take the wheels off and on so no probs there....Not sure about the brake pads

don't know what brand GM uses but all I can say is they stop you like hitting a wall and like I said I can drive my freaking car all day long

and have hardly any brake dust on the car...would be a great weight saving for the GT500 also.

The ZR1 comes with rotor protectors for when you have to take the wheels off and on so no probs there....Not sure about the brake pads

don't know what brand GM uses but all I can say is they stop you like hitting a wall and like I said I can drive my freaking car all day long

and have hardly any brake dust on the car...would be a great weight saving for the GT500 also.

Yea I know. But a lot of zr1 owners on the vette forum have complained about breaking their rotors. There is a company already that has made ceramic rotors for our cars. But the rotors are tiny. Not at all like the brembos now. But I bet thats the company shelby has been testing with.

Yea I know. But a lot of zr1 owners on the vette forum have complained about breaking their rotors. There is a company already that has made ceramic rotors for our cars. But the rotors are tiny. Not at all like the brembos now. But I bet thats the company shelby has been testing with.

The rotors like anything else if abused will fail...the rotors that are on the ZR1 are the same ones that are on the Enzo Farrari..Aston Martin and

a bunch of super cars ...your fooling yourself if you don't think it would benefit the GT500...I know lots of people with the same car as I and they

road course the car with zero problems and as we all know road racing the car may be the hardest rotors will ever be used.

I was at Shelby American, Las Vegas Yesterday and had the chance to take a picture of the 2013 Shelby line up. I have seen pictures of the GT350 and GT1000 but the GT500KR are yet to be released. Here they are. Sorry for the low quality of the pictures, this site does not allow more than 500 k size

post-29030-0-13698900-1345010327_thumb.jpg

post-29030-0-50742100-1345010493_thumb.jpg

post-29030-0-13698900-1345010327_thumb.jpg

post-29030-0-50742100-1345010493_thumb.jpg

Carbon Ceramic rotors would most definetly help the GT500. The are extremely light and dissipate heat exceptionally well. The problem with them is not performance, it's cost. A set of rotors can run upwards of $20k depending on the make, size, etc.

How many of you would pay an extra $15-$20k for brakes on your GT500 or SS?

No matter what they are made of rotors will always be a wear items that will require periodic replacement. The rotors are expensive because manufacturing them is very labor intensive and complicated. Brembo has been working ways to lower the cost making these rotors more accecable to the general public.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive_product_news/cost_ceramic_brakes.shtml

I was at Shelby American, Las Vegas Yesterday and had the chance to take a picture of the 2013 Shelby line up. I have seen pictures of the GT350 and GT1000 but the GT500KR are yet to be released. Here they are. Sorry for the low quality of the pictures, this site does not allow more than 500 k size

You know on second thought those wheels aren't so bad. But they would only work on candy red or race red. Any other color they would look terrible. But on that one its not soooo bad. Alcoas still way better.

Carbon Ceramic rotors would most definetly help the GT500. The are extremely light and dissipate heat exceptionally well. The problem with them is not performance, it's cost. A set of rotors can run upwards of $20k depending on the make, size, etc.

How many of you would pay an extra $15-$20k for brakes on your GT500 or SS?

No matter what they are made of rotors will always be a wear items that will require periodic replacement. The rotors are expensive because manufacturing them is very labor intensive and complicated. Brembo has been working ways to lower the cost making these rotors more accecable to the general public.

http://www.ebcbrakes...ic_brakes.shtml

There is a company that made carbon ceramic rotors for the mustangs and sell them for around 800 a rotor I believe? Plus they won't cost an extra 15-20k. The zr1 rotors I believe are around 14k retail. So ares are probably over 4k retail. Difference of 10k retail. You add a discount to be taken into account for mass producing them so probably take out maybe another 2-4k off that difference. So very roughly it may have costed us an extra 6-8k to get carbon ceramic rotors. Hell they could make it a separate option even. Most other companies have it for around 8-10k separate. I believe the audi r8 has it as an option for 8k extra. So maybe ours would be even less closer to the 6k range. Thats not so bad

That car was originally a SVTPP with the Bilstein electronic struts and shocks. I see they didn't do anything with suspension upgrades, as the wheel to body gaps look stock. I hope SA releases some information soon on the 2013 Super Snake package, because at the moment it doesn't look like it is anything more than a cosmetic package

There is a company that made carbon ceramic rotors for the mustangs and sell them for around 800 a rotor I believe? Plus they won't cost an extra 15-20k. The zr1 rotors I believe are around 14k retail. So ares are probably over 4k retail. Difference of 10k retail. You add a discount to be taken into account for mass producing them so probably take out maybe another 2-4k off that difference. So very roughly it may have costed us an extra 6-8k to get carbon ceramic rotors. Hell they could make it a separate option even. Most other companies have it for around 8-10k separate. I believe the audi r8 has it as an option for 8k extra. So maybe ours would be even less closer to the 6k range. Thats not so bad

Looks like my knowledge is outdated;

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/new-carbon-rotors-508492/

http://www.turbinebrakerotors.com/ceramic_rotors.php

I'll wait and let some else be a guinea pig with these. They look more like a clutch disc than a typical Carbon Ceramic rotor.

Archived