TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Carroll Shelby - Wife vs. Kids in WAR Over Auto Legend's Body

Grabber

Correct me if I am wrong, but any signature on a legal document must be notarized. Find the notary who notarized it and you might find the answer. :headscratch:

Thats to easy..................you know that no one here does things the easy way.......................... :hysterical2:

:hide:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Carroll Shelby did file for divorce from Cleo in February 2012". hmmmmmmm, the First few articles said it was 2010 and now it is 2012? I am really beginning to think that CS had a mild case of Dementia like I wrote in an earlier post. I just hope that everyone involved can get together and do what CS wanted.

there are a lot of "legal opinions" being expressed here but the court will deal with the facts. Apparently CS did file for divorce back in 2010. He did sign a statement requesting to be buried with his parents in February of 2012 which was months, not weeks, before his death. The court will determine if he was of sound mind and body at that time of the signing. Granting POA does not negate any decision which a person subsequently makes. It does mean the POA has the right to make decisions and sign documents but not to necessarily overturn a previously signed document. As an example, if CS went out and decided to buy a new Corvette (aaaaaaaahhhhh!) Cleo could not come along and say no. He bought the car and it is his. She could not change that. And the court will determine if CS's decision re his burial plans were made when he was of sound mind and body. I am sure if this was done it was well planned. CS, and the foundation, have numerous attorneys that will be willing to attest as to what happened and will have medical documentation. Now it is just up to the slow wheels of justice to make a decision. Which will then be appealed ad infinitum.

there are a lot of "legal opinions" being expressed here but the court will deal with the facts. Apparently CS did file for divorce back in 2010. He did sign a statement requesting to be buried with his parents in February of 2012 which was months, not weeks, before his death. The court will determine if he was of sound mind and body at that time of the signing. Granting POA does not negate any decision which a person subsequently makes. It does mean the POA has the right to make decisions and sign documents but not to necessarily overturn a previously signed document. As an example, if CS went out and decided to buy a new Corvette (aaaaaaaahhhhh!) Cleo could not come along and say no. He bought the car and it is his. She could not change that. And the court will determine if CS's decision re his burial plans were made when he was of sound mind and body. I am sure if this was done it was well planned. CS, and the foundation, have numerous attorneys that will be willing to attest as to what happened and will have medical documentation. Now it is just up to the slow wheels of justice to make a decision. Which will then be appealed ad infinitum.

Thats the sad thing....."It could be Appealed". I can understand that CS wanted to be Cremated, the deviding of the Ashes is a bit creepy to me though, but if that's what he wanted, DO IT, who benefits from doing anything different with his Body?

News

Hearing Date Set in Shelby Imbroglio

By Julie Halpert, Correspondent | Published Jun 26, 2012

• Poor
  • So-So
  • Pretty Good
  • Good
  • Excellent

4 Ratings

Just the Facts:

• A hearing is slated to be held Friday to address a bitter dispute over the fate of Carroll Shelby's remains.
  • The hearing is not likely to determine the fate of the body, but rather to set a trial date.
  • Shelby's children and widow — and the Dallas County coroner — are fighting over the disposition of Shelby's body.

DALLAS — A hearing is slated to be held Friday to address a bitter dispute over the fate of Carroll Shelby's remains, setting the stage for one of the more bizarre automotive legal battles in recent memory.

The hearing, to be held in 160th Civil District Court here, is not likely to determine the fate of the body, but rather to set a trial date to consider petitions by Shelby's children and his widow that could determine the late automotive legend's final resting place.

The hearing also may shed light on why Dallas County coroner Dr. Jeffrey Barnard has refused to release the body from the morgue more than six weeks after Shelby's death on May 10. Dr. Barnard has not responded to several requests for an interview from Inside Line.

Judge Jim Jordan is expected to set a trial date for a petition filed by Shelby's widow Cleo Shelby, contesting the validity of an advance directive issued by her husband giving control of his remains to his eldest son.

Patrick Shelby, one of Carroll Shelby's sons, told Inside Line the children will request an expedited hearing, so their father can finally be laid to rest.

Inside Line says: The body will remain in the Dallas County morgue until the legal issues are resolved.

"The hearing also may shed light on why Dallas County coroner Dr. Jeffrey Barnard has refused to release the body from the morgue more than six weeks after Shelby's death on May 10."

WHAT? Has this Reporter NOT been keeping up with whats happened. Shelby's Son says HE has the Rights to CS's Body and Cleo says SHE does. The Coroner CAN"T release the body until the Courts tell him WHO to release it to. I hate Reporters who don't do their Homework before writing an article.

apparently a trial date has been set.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/29/4599522/trial-set-for-car-designer-shelbys.html

Hopefully a compromise can be reached before the trial date. If not hopefully ole' Shel will be allowed to be laid to peace shortly thereafter. However, even after a trial there is a chance for ongoing appeals which could take years.

^ its no better than bringing this BS up every few days.

Many members here are troubled by the fact that Carroll has not been laid to rest. Many members here are following the story so we know where the final resting place will be. In fact I know some members want to visit that final resting place and place flowers on the grave...once he is laid to rest. There is nothing wrong with keeping up on this thread and members sharing the news that they find as it becomes available.

If this thread bothers people, then they should not click on it.

apparently a trial date has been set.

http://www.sacbee.co...er-shelbys.html

Hopefully a compromise can be reached before the trial date. If not hopefully ole' Shel will be allowed to be laid to peace shortly thereafter. However, even after a trial there is a chance for ongoing appeals which could take years.

Thanks for the update. I too hope Carroll will be laid to rest shortly after the July 26th trial.

Thanks for the update. I too hope Carroll will be laid to rest shortly after the July 26th trial.

It's my understanding that the issue isn't creamation vs. burial so I wonder why both parties won't stipulate to the cremation and then dispute where the remains will be laid to rest via the courts?

I mean, the man's body has been on ice since his death in May and it appears he will remain there for another month, if not longer.

That just sounds SO morbid to me. In my opinion, BOTH parties need to take a step back and look at the situation. This is another "Ted Williams" issue and look how poorly that turned out. Nothing good can come of this.

JMHO,

Phill

Many members here are troubled by the fact that Carroll has not been laid to rest. Many members here are following the story so we know where the final resting place will be. In fact I know some members want to visit that final resting place and place flowers on the grave...once he is laid to rest. There is nothing wrong with keeping up on this thread and members sharing the news that they find as it becomes available.

If this thread bothers people, then they should not click on it.

Many members may in fact be troubled by the fact that Carroll has not been laid to rest. Many members may in fact be following the story. However, many members are NOT posting here, seems YOU and only a couple others are posting here.

Is this what you really wanted to post?

Many members here are I am troubled by the fact that Carroll has not been laid to rest. Many members here are I am following the story so we know where the final resting place will be. In fact I know some members want to visit that final resting place and place flowers on the grave...once he is laid to rest. There is nothing wrong with keeping up on this thread and members sharing the news that they find as it becomes available.

07SGT4578 why do you seem to take so much offense to this topic? I believe if a forum member here takes the time to post something then that is what they mean whether I agree with it or not. I don't think anything posted on the subject has been distasteful. Carroll Shelby was very much a public figure and these circumstances are certainly unusual. There have been more than just two members posting on this subject and I believe everyone is hoping and praying for the best for Mr. Shelby's family. I don't mean to offend. JMO.

Many members may in fact be troubled by the fact that Carroll has not been laid to rest. Many members may in fact be following the story. However, many members are NOT posting here, seems YOU and only a couple others are posting here.

Is this what you really wanted to post?

Many members here are I am troubled by the fact that Carroll has not been laid to rest. Many members here are I am following the story so we know where the final resting place will be. In fact I know some members want to visit that final resting place and place flowers on the grave...once he is laid to rest. There is nothing wrong with keeping up on this thread and members sharing the news that they find as it becomes available.

No Chris, That is not what I wanted to post. I suggest you refrain from reading this topic since it troubles you.

...Or is it just me that you don't care for ?

Mea Culpa if my post offended. I, like many others, are curious about the issue and I only meant to post an update so as to allow other interested parties to be apprised. I/we do not have a morbid interest rather we only hope CS is laid to rest in peace in accordance with his wishes.

.....rather we only hope CS is laid to rest in peace in accordance with his wishes.

Boy howdy.

But unfortunately, I've seen many many MANY other families get torn apart after someone's death. And *usually*, over "stuff". Yeah, just STUFF (or money).

Sad, but true. And this won't be the last family to do this either.

Phill

Mea Culpa if my post offended. I, like many others, are curious about the issue and I only meant to post an update so as to allow other interested parties to be apprised. I/we do not have a morbid interest rather we only hope CS is laid to rest in peace in accordance with his wishes.

I am VERY interested so keep posting the up dates. Thank you.

David.

No Chris, That is not what I wanted to post. I suggest you refrain from reading this topic since it troubles you.

It's just you Grabber............................ :hysterical2:

Just kidding.............Keep Posting.

How about we just agree that you keep your suggestions to yourself. This is not the time or place to get into what I don't care for.

How about we just agree that you keep your suggestions to yourself. This is not the time or place to get into what I don't care for.

That's fine, but it works both ways Chris. How about you not suggest that my posts mean something other than what I posted. Heck it's the week end and I am going to kick back and have a big cold glass of kool aid and relax.

Maybe its just me, but with Carroll's knowledge and his access to lawyers as well as his planning for the foundation to carry his name and continue his wishes, I find it odd that these affairs weren't in order. I am not speculating but rather putting forth the statements made --- his son has a legal notarized document, if in fact it was notarized by an unbiased notary, then he would have been asked if he read the document and understood what he was signing. I'm uncertain about other states, but unless there was a specific directive in the Power of Attorney, in most states, a health-care power ends upon the demise of the grantee, if there is specific language which related to his funeral arrangements and again from my legal experience, this would be in his Will and not in a health-care power of attorney. It would make sense if his son has a document, because perhaps with the divorce documents on file in the Court, Carroll knew that the POA would no longer be in effect upon his passing. Just my two cents, but in all honesty, I'd like to see Carroll laid to rest in peace at his final resting place. He has devoted so much of his life making people happy, it is truly sad to see this drag out in the Court system.

I suspect the documents in question have more details than what is being released as it is a private family matter. It is unclear and unstated what the surviving widow, if that is still in affect, desired upon CS' passing. The probability is that the documents in question relate to the entire directives of CS' Estate and the disposal of the remains are just a small part.

I suspect the documents in question have more details than what is being released as it is a private family matter. It is unclear and unstated what the surviving widow, if that is still in affect, desired upon CS' passing. The probability is that the documents in question relate to the entire directives of CS' Estate and the disposal of the remains are just a small part.

I agree with that is a private family matter, but unfortunately Court documents in most cases are public. I also agree that the wording of the directives concerning his remains, is a very small part. But as stated, the Courts can drag this out for months, if not years to settle the estate. Carroll deserve the dignity of being laid to rest in a timely fashion.

I am not a legal expert, just my opinion.

But unfortunately, I've seen many many MANY other families get torn apart after someone's death. And *usually*, over "stuff". Yeah, just STUFF (or money).

Sad, but true. And this won't be the last family to do this either.

Ay; even this Team Shelby family seems to have been torn in places upon this very topic.

CS deserves to be laid to rest in a dignified manner... certainly shameful his family can't see beyond themselves to make that happen.

As for me, this is definitely a lesson in making absolutely sure my personal legal matters are properly prepared and settled before my departure.

As for the topic, it's no different than many other topic on the TS forums... opinions differ, and eventually, a pointed or turse comment is made about another members post, which turns into a personal debate between them and others...

No doubt the Team Shelby Community as a whole hopes to see this resolved sooner than later, though I suspect very few, if any, of us can contribute constructively to make that happen. Since I'm not a doctor, lawyer, psychologist, or news reporter I wont' comment or speculate on the claims made by either side, except to say "it's a sad state of affairs", and any undue discord created among TS members in this post is just as sad.

For me, Carroll Shelby and his legacy lives in my garage....

Archived