TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Today We Honor the Brave Soldiers of the Normandy Landing!

It is with great pride that I honor my Grandfather today of the anniversary on the Normandy landing. One month shy of his 18th birthday he landed on Omaha Beach. The second infantry division went on to fight in the Battle of The Bulge and eventually made their way into Czech and liberated camps at Spergau and Leipzig. I can only imagine the horrors he witnessed and endured. Thanks to all the servicemen and women, past and present for all your sacrifices and especially my Grandpa. I know you are all in Heaven together now! I love you Grandpa!

:salute:

My uncle lost his life during the D-Day invasion, he was with an airbourne unit, my mother never gave me any other details about her brother other than he served from 1942 before he was killed she never seemed to get over it.

My father was a paratrooper in the D Day invasion and was injured during the jump, but fortunately lived through it all. God bless all the men, women and families who endured those days, which we must never forget, in spite of some groups today who are trying to bury that history.

edited typo

My father was a paratrooper in the D Day invasion and was injured during the jump, but fortunately lived through it all. God bless all the men, women and families who endured those days, which we must never forget, in spite of some groups today who are trying to bury that history.

edited typo

So was my uncle a US paratrooper..He was hit 3 times during the jump that day he also lived through it and still lives in Wilmington Mass.

Michael,

Thanks for posting and reminding everyone of this iconic day in our history where veterans of the Greatest Generation stood with our European Allies in the battle of good over evil.

My Dad flew 6 sorties on D-Day from Andover Field while attached to the 402nd fighter squadron. Here he is pictured with his second P-38 before it too was shot out from under him while strafing rail yards supplying the front lines. After spending several days in a wine cellar, the French Resistance ushered him to the coast for evacuation.

DadwithPegll.jpg

Michael,

Thanks for posting and reminding everyone of this iconic day in our history where veterans of the Greatest Generation stood with our European Allies in the battle of good over evil.

My Dad flew 6 sorties on D-Day from Andover Field while attached to the 402nd fighter squadron. Here he is pictured with his second P-38 before it too was shot out from under him while strafing rail yards supplying the front lines. After spending several days in a wine cellar, the French Resistance ushered him to the coast for evacuation.

DadwithPegll.jpg

Thanks to Lt.Coenen and all service men and women!

(guess your Dad has this painting: http://www.jackfello...iation-009.html)

Sam

Thanks to Lt.Coenen and all service men and women!

(guess your Dad has this painting: http://www.jackfello...iation-009.html)

Sam

Sam,

Great find! My brother has several paintings. Below is a pic of my Dad and his crew chief with POMH lll. He retired in the late 60's from the USAFR as a bird colonel. I grew up on air shows and the Thunderbirds...

DadwithCrewChief.jpg

Don't forget those who remain "over there".

47786-004-88E8F6CF.jpg

I wont...I am going to Normandy in my Shelby next month.......to pay my respects to all of them! :salute:

Quite the emotional place to visit.................... :salute:

My life long respect and admiration to all those brave men that fought the hard fight and sacrificed so much for our freedoms.

Quite the emotional place to visit.................... :salute:

My life long respect and admiration to all those brave men that fought the hard fight and sacrificed so much for our freedoms.

I would be honored to go visit the site together when we are in France next month.......:salute:

• 11 months later...

Ah-Some. Rare breed of men and women who served back then and today. SVT NAJA - I bet your Dad had many amazing stories to share with you.

Two members of our family lost their lives with in a few days of each other during the D-day operation, they were young men who never got to live out their lives it makes you think what they would have become had they lived and had the chance to have a family. God bless all of those souls and may they be at peace now and forever.

Freedom is not free. I am thank full for those who have served and those who are serving. If it was not for their sacrifice (many who paid the ultimate) who knows what language we would be speaking. :salute: Yes most of them were just kids.

Archived