TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Concerns over car dying when we pull up to a stop sign

Sometimes when we puill up to a stop light or sign our car will dye on us. We are able to start it right back up, but this may happen two or three times in a night

when we are driving it. We wonder if this happened to any of you with your GT 350 car???

i have this issue only when first starting the car. after it is warm it is fine. i use 93 octane and splash in 100 octane when i can. what hp do you have?

i run the same gas as Tony, and have the same issues when cold or right after a start - car can stall.

that, and i just failed inspection here in NJ for "not ready" O2 sensors!

waiting for SA to come up with a solution - fast

Pat

Sometimes when we puill up to a stop light or sign our car will dye on us. We are able to start it right back up, but this may happen two or three times in a night

when we are driving it. We wonder if this happened to any of you with your GT 350 car???

I've seen this sympton often on a car with a dirty throttle body. The throttle blade is open enough for minimum air flow but gas coking builds up at the blade and closes it off. The cure is a rag with carb cleaner on it. Open the throttle blade and stick the rag in, wipe it all around the body AND the edge of the blade.

Done.

Try it and see if that cures it. If not, do you have the EGO sensor code too?

Phill

When modifying any of the new PCM's cars need to go through a re-learn cycle. This can be affected by battery run down, where charging needs to take place or when jump starting due to the same condition. It is recommended, by Ford Racing, not to utilize a jump box but to bring the battery up to charge with a trickle charger.

If the vehicle has not been driven much this re-learn can take several drives, starts and key "on-off" cycles. There is no set number. Did you use stabilizer while in storage? How long was your car in storage? Have you checked with your RI dealer?

Let us know if you need assistance.

Roger

Thanks Roger.

I have had this happen just a couple of times so I have not brought it into the dealer.

I did use stabilizer and stored from December thru early march. However, because we had such a warm winter with hardly any snow I was able to get it out a few times. I did not use any charging devices.

Thanks for the tips.

i run the same gas as Tony, and have the same issues when cold or right after a start - car can stall.

that, and i just failed inspection here in NJ for "not ready" O2 sensors!

waiting for SA to come up with a solution - fast

Pat

Good luck with SA greeting you a solution to pass emissions. Mine was never ready even with SA , the dealer and ford racing involved. Now I I have to limit my milage to under 5k per year to be exempt in pa. I had the same not ready problem.

When modifying any of the new PCM's cars need to go through a re-learn cycle. This can be affected by battery run down, where charging needs to take place or when jump starting due to the same condition. It is recommended, by Ford Racing, not to utilize a jump box but to bring the battery up to charge with a trickle charger.

If the vehicle has not been driven much this re-learn can take several drives, starts and key "on-off" cycles. There is no set number. Did you use stabilizer while in storage? How long was your car in storage? Have you checked with your RI dealer?

Let us know if you need assistance.

Roger

Today's gasoline sucks!

Use the best gas with the highest octane you can. If you have any stations that have ethanol free gas, use it! If not try and put some race fuel in the car when possible. In addition, drive as much as you can and always fill the tank when u think u might not drive it for a week or more. Use marine stabilizer for the gas. I use it all year long and will also use techron fuel system cleaner one a month.

My car is a 624 horse with tuned to 91% octane. I talked to Craig at Shelby American and he said I should stay with 91% octane because that is where the tune was set. He suggested unhooking the battery for 24 hours and then

hooking it back up. Something about learning my driving habits. It was stored all winter in a heated garage - no stabilizer added and I had a charger on it that would just keep it charged up every so often

Thanks everyone for all of the help and suggestions it just bugs me that it does this from time to time.

I would clean the throttle body, but I do not know where it is or what it looks like. Any suggestions??

This spring when I started it - it could not have started any quicker - just started right up!

Thanks to Shelby American for the "built information" on the 2011 GT350. I absolutely love the car and it just bugs the heck out of me when it does that.

Good luck with SA greeting you a solution to pass emissions. Mine was never ready even with SA , the dealer and ford racing involved. Now I I have to limit my milage to under 5k per year to be exempt in pa. I had the same not ready problem.

Tony- unfortunately, I need to pass inspection in NJ

Roger- do you hear these issues? It's been a week but no response from Gil at the Speed Shop. That is an unacceptable condition on a car that cost over $100k and was "custom tuned" at the Speed Shop.

Do I speak with you, Gary P or Gary D to resolve this and get my car back on the road?

Pat

Tony- unfortunately, I need to pass inspection in NJ

Roger- do you hear these issues? It's been a week but no response from Gil at the Speed Shop. That is an unacceptable condition on a car that cost over $100k and was "custom tuned" at the Speed Shop.

Do I speak with you, Gary P or Gary D to resolve this and get my car back on the road?

Pat

Stated above to contact me Pat. 702-942-7324 ext. 145. But you did speak with Frankie yesterday around noon our time correct?

Roger

Today's gasoline sucks!

Use the best gas with the highest octane you can. If you have any stations that have ethanol free gas, use it! If not try and put some race fuel in the car when possible. In addition, drive as much as you can and always fill the tank when u think u might not drive it for a week or more. Use marine stabilizer for the gas. I use it all year long and will also use techron fuel system cleaner one a month.

I totally agree with you. Today's gas sucks. I am fortunate to have a station about 20 miles away with REAL gas. My 71 Bronco and 2003 Ford F450 MH has had issues with ethanol because they sit too much. Switched to REAL gas and the issues went away.

I drive the Shelby enough that I have not seen the issues, but it it starts will make the trip to the REAL gas station.

Stated above to contact me Pat. 702-942-7324 ext. 145. But you did speak with Frankie yesterday around noon our time correct?

Roger

Roger-

I did hear from Frankie.

They are reportedly working on a solution.

Hopefully, by tomorrow they will have it.

Failing which, i have to go to DMV for re-inpection with no solution and will no doubt fail again.

At that point, what do we (aka I) do?

thanks for SA's anticipated assistance.

Pat

• 1 month later...

PROBLEM SOLVED

Simply have Jon Lund tune your GT350

No stalling; runs better

And now I've passed New Jersey motor vehicle inspection

It's a beautiful thing!!

PROBLEM SOLVED

Simply have Jon Lund tune your GT350

Who tuned it originally, with what tune?

I would suspect it was a Ford Racing 50-State legal tune that Shelby installed?

Is yours supercharged or naturally asperated?

Phill

The car started life as an R tune

the Speed Shop installed the JLT and Headers, and then custom tuned the car

on the Speed Shop's Dynojet (STD - whatever that means) and at 75 degrees in February the car posted 565 and then 563 at rear wheels

after Jon tuned the car (in 105 degree heat here in NJ and after the intercooler fans didn't work due to some glitch - boy the car was HOT!) the car posted slightly better numbers on Evolution Performance's Mustang Dyno (SAE - whatever that means, but i'm told it's 4% or more lower reading than a Dyno Jet, and that was before the "heat" issues and non-functional intercooler). either way, car drives better and feels even more peppy than before - if that's possible!

kudos to Jon for braving the heat on a Saturday (his birthday, to boot) to help me, and to Fred Cook at Evolution for setting things up and dealing with the intercooler (and other) issues with the car

also, Frankie Montrone and Gary DAvis from SAI were SUPER too - they permitted Evolution and Jon Lund to get involved, and even covered the cost!!

can't thank all those guys enough - it's like driving a completely different car now.

again, thanks to ALL who helped me though this!

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Archived