TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Seat for women Recaro or Standard

phil123

My wife is about 5'1" and will be driving the 2013 Shelby on a regular basis. Does anyone have an opinion on which seats would work best for her, Std factory or Recaro? Have Recaro ordered but believe I still have time to change order. Any info would be appreciated.

My wife is about 5'1" and will be driving the 2013 Shelby on a regular basis. Does anyone have an opinion on which seats would work best for her, Std factory or Recaro? Have Recaro ordered but believe I still have time to change order. Any info would be appreciated.

They're both good.

The Recarro's have a "pump" on the side that lifts and drops the seats plus a recline feature so you don't gain anything other than the POWER SEAT feature offered on the standard seats and lots of folks have retrofitted the PS rack to their Recarro seats.

I've sat in both and both are equally comfortable (from 2010 UP).

Phill

My wife is 5'2 and she tried both seats and liked the standard seat better, hope that helps you

I am 5'3 and drive 90 mi round trip each day. I do like the recarro really well but do miss the electric seat-have to move it up to push clutch in and then back to exit. Recarro is very comfortable on a longer road trip. I would still choose the Recarro over the standard.

I drove a GT that had recaros and because of how the Recaros wrap around the driver, I had some trouble seeing when turning to look at blind spots (my boyfriend didn't have this problem when he was driving). So I decided to be on the safe side and order the regular seats. Since I didn't get the Recaros, I treated myself with the heated seat option. As far as comfort goes, the Recaros were fine, but I didn't sit in them for any extended period of time.

I would ignore the seat problem and address the short problem. 5'1? These cars are horrible for short people to drive, especially with reach the clutch since its got to go all the way down. I'm 5'11 and I had problems with that, I had to bring the seat so far foward my knees were hitting into the dash.

I would ignore the seat problem and address the short problem. 5'1? These cars are horrible for short people to drive, especially with reach the clutch since its got to go all the way down. I'm 5'11 and I had problems with that, I had to bring the seat so far foward my knees were hitting into the dash.

That's my issue as well-I like the Recaro seat but hate moving it up and back for the clutch-I'm 5'3-and yes it has to go all the way down-I am vertically challenged!!!!

That's my issue as well-I like the Recaro seat but hate moving it up and back for the clutch-I'm 5'3-and yes it has to go all the way down-I am vertically challenged!!!!

lol Your vertically challenged and you have that problem. I'm almost 6 foot and I have that problem, I can't imagine how it is for other people. You need to be like 6'2 with some long legs to drive this car without moving the seat really far foward. Plus its probably hard to see over the hood for short people. I know when I got in the car, compared to others that long hood definitely effects visiblity.

Could you please post a photo of her glutes so we can evauluate how the fit will match up with the seat.

Frankly, the best seat may be at the kitchen table. :)

Seriously, you have to be willing to trade heated seats and power to get Recaros which are beneficial only as a matter of styling OR if you plan on tracking the car. Personally, it was the reason I traded from an '11 to a '12 after being laid-up for several days after each track session due to a lack of back support. The Recaros also are FAR more ideal if you plan on any kind of harness.

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I wasn't specific enough with my question. If am thinking for the vertically challenged aspect and reaching the clutch as some have mentioned. Wondering if there is an advantage to standard vs Recaro regarding this.

I purchased an '11 with the standard seats. My wife showroom-tested the Recaros and found them uncomfortably narrow. [Females have wider pelvic bones than males.] Both of us also disliked the lack of a tilt-feature in the Recaros; they just go straight up/down/forward/backward.

The manual standard passenger seat was annoying for the same adjustment reasons. The driver can power-adjust height, distance, and tilt for comfort, but the passenger - particularly if a shorter female - is stuck with a nontilt seat so low that she may wind up staring more at the glovebox than out the windshield.

I immediately ordered the parts for the Ford power passenger seat (as in the GT Premium), which made the passenger seat a duplicate of the driver's. Everything is now ideal.

Thinking of upgrading to the Shelby interior the next time the Store has a nice sale ...

Both of us also disliked the lack of a tilt-feature in the Recaros; they just go straight up/down/forward/backward.

What seats did you sit in? I've sat in a 2011 and 2012 GT500 and a 2013 Boss 302 with Recarro seats and all of them had the tilt feature. The passenger side doesn't have the lift feature but ALL had tilt. It's the rearward handle that tilts it, the forward one (only on the drivers side) tilts the seat back.

I'll double check when I go into my dealer today at 11 a.m. but I distinctly remember there being two handles on the drivers side (plus the pull bar under the front to slide forward/back) and one on the pass side. I have a WAY bad back and have to sit fairly reclined so I would have noticed a solid seat right away.

Phill

What seats did you sit in? I've sat in a 2011 and 2012 GT500 and a 2013 Boss 302 with Recarro seats and all of them had the tilt feature. The passenger side doesn't have the lift feature but ALL had tilt. It's the rearward handle that tilts it, the forward one (only on the drivers side) tilts the seat back.

I was referring to the ability to tilt the entire seat, not just the back.

I was referring to the ability to tilt the entire seat, not just the back.

Ohhh, okay. No, that isn't standard on the Recaro's but if you put a power seat rack in, it is.

Phill

Archived