TEAM SHELBY FORUM

who owns the GR1 or Daisy (Cobra Concept) where is it kept?

ShelbyEra08

Today, RIDES on velocity showed the building of the Shelby GR1, I saw a GR1 in person in 2008 at Carlisle:

100_0273.jpg

also, I think I read it right, that "Daisy" Cobra Concept might be at Carlisle All Ford this year.

Got me wondering, who owns the cars, does SA keep them in storage, does Ford have them in Detriot, does private collector own them?

That's a good question. I first saw it in 2004 at the SEMA show where I was part of the MRT-Interceptor build team.

Both cars were very impressive.

29shelby-gr1.JPG

The Shelby Expedition was there.

29shelby-expedition.JPG

And I got to meet the designer of the Ford GT, Camillo Pardo. (That is a small bit of the Cobra Concept in the background)

1John_Camillo.jpg

They took the engine out? I recall many videos of it (even without bodywork) tearing up the roads, it was certainly a runner. I seem to recall it having a V-10 in it.

http://www.insideline.com/ford/ford-donates-two-unique-concepts-to-charity-auction.html

Ford built two GR-1's. The 1st in 2004 was a non-functioning fiberglass bodied rolling model. The doors didn't open. I believe this was the car that was auctioned.

The 2nd was in 2005 and was a fully functioning aluminum bodied car powered by a 6.4 V10 based on the 5.4. The same motor used in the Cobra concept.

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2005-Ford-Shelby-GR1-Concept-Aluminum-Body.htm

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-Ford-Shelby-Cobra-Concept.htm

• 3 weeks later...

The running car was actually at Shelby's 85th party in Las Vegas. They had it on display and took it out on the track for an open track session. It broke--as I recall a differential issue.

Most of these concept cars are kept by Roush. Either maintained or donated to him for posterity.

Tom

Years ago I assisted with the display of the non-engine, non-interior version GR-1 concept sent to Hawaii for the Motor Trend Auto Show. The car was steered by lifting the Ford logo on the flat tail section and using a 3/4 in. socket on a lug to turn the front wheels. Wierd!. Car was very light.

It would have been cool if Ford would have built the Coupe!

I read an article a while back that said Ford is considering building it as the next Super Car like they did the Ford GT. I hope they do it.

According to the Ford rep. that I talked to at the time of the Auto Show, when the car was initially designed, it was considered as the next generation after the Ford GT program. The challenge was the engineering of the swing up doors. The sharp slope of the A pillar made it a problem. The consideration was to either lessen the slope and change the windshield or redesign the doors to open in a different manner. Then the SVT department was going through major changes, the final year of Ford GT sales was extremely slow and so GT-1 program was dropped.

Archived