TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Time to buy a new computer after 9 years but don't know which is the best now

I'm not familiar with those, but I'm planning to switch from a PC to Apple next time. I've tried the new Windows 8 OS and I think its awful.

I would buy like a 12 core apple tower but its like 5000. Plus there are better computers for that much money. I spent 2000 on the hp I have now that lasted 9 years till now its too slow for my taste.

Yea my computer now is pentium 4 lol. Its an hp media center pavillion. But I really just don't want it anymore and if I'm going to spend 1200 the maingear vybe has a computer with 16g ram, 1T hard drive, i7 quad core at 3.5 ghz with a boost to 3.9 or something like that and also a free overclock feature (again never heard of this new stuff, kinda sounds like the over rev on the shelbys!! lol). This really good intercooler system. 60g SSD cache drive that combines with the 1TB hardrive so apprarently its the best of both worlds because you get the speed of SSD and the size of 1TB. And I'm getting the nvidia 570 gtx graphics card. Was thinking 680 but I feel that may be a bit excessive considering I only watch movies and look at pictures and don't play games that much anymore on my desktop.

I'm just wondering if there is something better than this for under 2000 thats from a reputable brand.

Falcon NW all the way! While their Mach5 is a high end model, take a look at their Talon line of budget desktops.

I've had 4 of their computers over the years - finest staff/support in the universe and you always get a real human whenever you need one!

Sam

You may have seen this review. I haven't read it but thought I'd share in case you hadn't.

http://reviews.cnet....7-34078985.html

Thanks for that review I saw a video review they did but not this one. Yea they mostly bitch about the AMD chip since its not intel and the power supply and also the graphics card. But the one I am getting comes with an intel i7 and a 650 watt power supply and a much better graphics card. So I wish they did a review on one like that.

Falcon NW all the way! While their Mach5 is a high end model, take a look at their Talon line of budget desktops.

I've had 4 of their computers over the years - finest staff/support in the universe and you always get a real human whenever you need one!

Sam

I'll look at falcon. that was another brand that came up when I googled top 10 computers along with maingear but the falcon was like 6000 dollars ouch. But i'll look up the talon

I'll look at falcon. that was another brand that came up when I googled top 10 computers along with maingear but the falcon was like 6000 dollars ouch. But i'll look up the talon

Falcon is made for people who wants balls out power for gaming.

Shoot through NewEgg for prices and reviews. http://www.newegg.com/

That falcon talon I wanted came to about 2500 while the maingear was 2050. The differences were the graphics card was better on the falcon, and power supply was 750 watts instead of 650. The processor is the same, but I could only get 8 gigs of ram since it said there was a conflict running 16 gigs of ram with windows 7 premium? The falcon does look a lot better than the maingear computer too.

Though if I got the 560 GTX ti by Nvidia instead of the 670 the price drops to 2380. On the maingear I was able to do a 570 gtx. I don't know if I really need the 670 for what I do since I don't do crazy gaming would hte 560 GTX ti be good enough? I mostly do stuff with movies, videos, and pictures.

Upside on the falcon I am able to get a better sound card that the maingear did not offer.

Gaming rigs are generally good for video processing/editing because they have plenty of horsepower to spare. If editing/rendering video/movies/audio/pictures is what you're in to, you need all the horsepower (vid card and processor) as well as hard drive space you can get!

FalconNW is definitely on the high end, similar company is Alienware, but both offer plenty of selection and can tailor a computer to your needs. FalconNW offers a "configurator" online, but I've always called and talked directly with a salesperson - give them your budget and I'll bet they can come up with something you'll be very happy with!

Apple is known for being excellent for graphic production, so that should indeed be a consideration.

Sam

Gaming rigs are generally good for video processing/editing because they have plenty of horsepower to spare. If editing/rendering video/movies/audio/pictures is what you're in to, you need all the horsepower (vid card and processor) as well as hard drive space you can get!

FalconNW is definitely on the high end, similar company is Alienware, but both offer plenty of selection and can tailor a computer to your needs. FalconNW offers a "configurator" online, but I've always called and talked directly with a salesperson - give them your budget and I'll bet they can come up with something you'll be very happy with!

Apple is known for being excellent for graphic production, so that should indeed be a consideration.

Sam

I don't do video editing lol more like viewing. But yea I know the apple towers are really good but they are all really expensive. I was thinking of getting that 12 core one for 5000 it would keep me going for 15 years haha. But yea I'll call falcon today and see what they can do for me. I have no clue what is overkill and what is neccessary when it comes to computers.

I don't do video editing lol more like viewing. But yea I know the apple towers are really good but they are all really expensive. I was thinking of getting that 12 core one for 5000 it would keep me going for 15 years haha. But yea I'll call falcon today and see what they can do for me. I have no clue what is overkill and what is neccessary when it comes to computers.

My rule of thumb on computers (mind you I do more than just surf the web, I also am a gamer and tinker with picture/video editing) is to get the fastest processor/video card, biggest hard drive, decent sound card, and lots of RAM. Tailor that to what you can afford and you're all set! If you really want to save some money, build one yourself! (It ain't that tough - check out magazines like PC Gamer, they always list components for "bang for the buck" DIY people!)

Sam

My rule of thumb on computers (mind you I do more than just surf the web, I also am a gamer and tinker with picture/video editing) is to get the fastest processor/video card, biggest hard drive, decent sound card, and lots of RAM. Tailor that to what you can afford and you're all set! If you really want to save some money, build one yourself! (It ain't that tough - check out magazines like PC Gamer, they always list components for "bang for the buck" DIY people!)

Sam

I called falcon they were very helpful. The guy told me I should get the nvidia 670 graphics card, 8 gig ram (if i need to later I can go up to 16 since windows 7 only utilizes 14 max), 1TB hard drive (he said get SSD when it becomes cheaper) i7 processor 3.5 ghz its the 3770 I believe or something like that, and the 3 year warranty. It came to around 2300. He told me not to update the sound card to the creative recon because he said as far as watching movies and listening ot music other than MP3s they sound the same.

What do you think?

I called falcon they were very helpful. The guy told me I should get the nvidia 670 graphics card, 8 gig ram (if i need to later I can go up to 16 since windows 7 only utilizes 14 max), 1TB hard drive (he said get SSD when it becomes cheaper) i7 processor 3.5 ghz its the 3770 I believe or something like that, and the 3 year warranty. It came to around 2300. He told me not to update the sound card to the creative recon because he said as far as watching movies and listening ot music other than MP3s they sound the same.

What do you think?

I think you'll be fine with 8gb of RAM for now, but defintely upgrade to 16gb when you get the funds! As usual, it sounds like they gave you the "straight dope" on specifications, I'd take it!

As a testament to their level of service, I had an older Mach 5 that had a motherboard go bad. It was about 5 years old and certainly out of warranty, AND the motherboard was no longer made. Their support guy (Matthew) had an identical motherboard, gently used, laying around at his house and he sent it to me free of charge!

They are the kind of people I like to deal with!

Sam

Since 1984, I've owned eight Apple computers - that's over a 28 year period. I still have a G5 DMD running and use it on a regular basis. . .that one is from 2001. How many PCs are still running tough from 2001? Over that same period, I've owned PCs. They are simply not as stable, dependable and reliable as Macs.

Am going with a Apple , check out the new iPad 3, 64 bit, wifi- 4G I'am with AT&T, and in somes areas I'am getting the new LTE,,,, real fast. I got it new @ Walmart $768.00 also got a bluetooth keyboard.... hope this helps T.Grant God Bless Carroll Shelby..

Since 1984, I've owned eight Apple computers - that's over a 28 year period. I still have a G5 DMD running and use it on a regular basis. . .that one is from 2001. How many PCs are still running tough from 2001? Over that same period, I've owned PCs. They are simply not as stable, dependable and reliable as Macs.

The mac i would get is over 3000 dollars

Again, I've got nothing against the Mac/Apple, (I've got a Mac, IPod, IPad, etc. too!), they are excellent sound/graphic platforms in addition to standard computer stuff, and I love the fact they are safer due to proprietary software/hardware - BUT the mainstream world seems to run on PCs so you gotta have one of those as well!

That being said, I bought my latest FalconNW nearly 5 years ago and it still runs like a champ, the only exception was I fried one of the video cards messing around with overclocking! (I had to buy a new one on Ebay cause they are no longer in production!)

I'd say skip the 3-year warranty, go with a 1 year and spend the extra on more RAM! (FalconNW will still offer assistance after the warranty is out!)

OR

Skip the 3-year warranty and use the leftover cash to buy a new IPad!

Sam

Again, I've got nothing against the Mac/Apple, (I've got a Mac, IPod, IPad, etc. too!), they are excellent sound/graphic platforms in addition to standard computer stuff, and I love the fact they are safer due to proprietary software/hardware - BUT the mainstream world seems to run on PCs so you gotta have one of those as well!

That being said, I bought my latest FalconNW nearly 5 years ago and it still runs like a champ, the only exception was I fried one of the video cards messing around with overclocking! (I had to buy a new one on Ebay cause they are no longer in production!)

I'd say skip the 3-year warranty, go with a 1 year and spend the extra on more RAM! (FalconNW will still offer assistance after the warranty is out!)

OR

Skip the 3-year warranty and use the leftover cash to buy a new IPad!

Sam

Lol I don't need an ipad I have an iphone 4s and when my dad decides to get an Ipad 3 since he has like every apple product there is then I'll just take his Ipad 2. But yea I'm not getting the overclock feature because I don't want to strain the computer in any way so I'll just get the 16 gig ram instead of the 3 year warranty. The hp I have now has had ZERO problems in 10 years. Falcon claims to have all these better things and tests the computers like their shelby motors before they get sent out so it shouldn't have anything go wrong after only 3 years.

That being said the guy said I don't need the liquid cooler or 680 card and that the 670 is more than enough. Now instead of the computer bieng like 2380 its 2280 so I saved 100 dollars. Do you think the liquid cooler is necessary? The 680 from 670 Nvidia gtx would cost me an additional 90 dollars but the guy said for longetivity the 670 is better since its cooler and quieter.

Also what do you think for an upgraded sound car? yes or no? As far as sound I will only be listening to like itunes, movies/shows online, youtube, and car stuff lol.

I have ran pc operating system my entire life. I am going to give a mac book pro a try this time. Had apple quote me one. It's tough to pull the trigger on a apple because of cost, but I will. I just cant take the instability of pc any longer. Once I get the mac book I will simpky restore our current laptop and use it for anything that is more convenient on pc.

Lol I don't need an ipad I have an iphone 4s and when my dad decides to get an Ipad 3 since he has like every apple product there is then I'll just take his Ipad 2. But yea I'm not getting the overclock feature because I don't want to strain the computer in any way so I'll just get the 16 gig ram instead of the 3 year warranty. The hp I have now has had ZERO problems in 10 years. Falcon claims to have all these better things and tests the computers like their shelby motors before they get sent out so it shouldn't have anything go wrong after only 3 years.

That being said the guy said I don't need the liquid cooler or 680 card and that the 670 is more than enough. Now instead of the computer bieng like 2380 its 2280 so I saved 100 dollars. Do you think the liquid cooler is necessary? The 680 from 670 Nvidia gtx would cost me an additional 90 dollars but the guy said for longetivity the 670 is better since its cooler and quieter.

Also what do you think for an upgraded sound car? yes or no? As far as sound I will only be listening to like itunes, movies/shows online, youtube, and car stuff lol.

Liquid cooling is neat, but not absolutely necessary, unless you're overclocking and or have a high-end, superfast processor, (as processors get faster, they'll run hotter - sooner or later liquid cooling will become necessary no matter what!). A middle of the road sound card, (Creative or other), will serve you well, just buy some decent speakers (3.1 or 5.1) and you should be fine.

Sam

Was thinking about looking into razer mamba mouse and razer lycosa mirror edition keyboard. What you think of those?

Optical mouse and standard keyboard for me - heavy duty gamers will opt for the fastest mouse and keyboard they can find, i.e. razer and others!

Sam

Archived