TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Finally 2013 grilles are installed.....

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am planning on putting that black mesh inside my open grille and the HE. But, I havent figured out how I want it secured in. The website sells a black rubber strip to frame the mesh, kinda like door trim and uses tie-downs, but Im not sure I want that. There has to be a better way. Suggestions?

Has anyone else installed an Afco dual fan heat exchanger that did the '13 grilles? I just did the h/e today, and the only bad part

is that you can see the top of the intercooler pump sticking out. There's no way around it. The pump mounts on the top. When I

was wrapping up the install, I hadn't even thought about it until my wife walked in the garage and said, "won't you see that sticking

up with the open grille on there?". I stepped back and thought I had a big problem. Fortuntaly I got everything back together and

you can see it, but not as bad as I thought. Standing right in front of the car looking down, yes, then you can clearly see the pump.

From straight on, you can just see the top of it. I guess when it's all said and done, it's definitely worth it for the added cooling of the

h/e. I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone with a '13 talking about it that may have done the upgraded h/e. Or maybe, no one has yet.

I am planning on putting that black mesh inside my open grille and the HE. But, I havent figured out how I want it secured in. The website sells a black rubber strip to frame the mesh, kinda like door trim and uses tie-downs, but Im not sure I want that. There has to be a better way. Suggestions?

I bought a bunch of that black rubber trim that I won't use, let me know if you'd like some. I don't think you could secure it to the grille or bumper with ties, but you probably could if you layed the mesh flush with the HE and tied it down to that. Mine won't budge with the rtv holding it in.

I bought a bunch of that black rubber trim that I won't use, let me know if you'd like some. I don't think you could secure it to the grille or bumper with ties, but you probably could if you layed the mesh flush with the HE and tied it down to that. Mine won't budge with the rtv holding it in.

Thanks. I think flush with the HE defeats the purpose as a stone hitting the mesh will also hit the HE. Mounting on the backside of the grille seems best, but how to do it? Is the open grille easily removable? If so, the mesh could probably be hot glued to the back of it. Got any pics of yours?

I didn't take any pics of the back, but I basically just trimmed the mesh allowing about 1/2" on all sides. then I bent the mesh around the opening and used Black RTV to glue it down. The mesh won't sit flush inside the openings unless you trim the grille down a litle as the bottom and sides protrude in more than the top. This was necessary for me anyway for it to fit with the brake ducts. The grille is pretty easy to remove with the bumper off as there are about 8-10 tabs that need released. When I put the brake duct kit in, I post pics of the back of the grille.

• 1 month later...

I have the brace, but haven't put it on yet. For the lower grille to snap all the way in, the bezel's where the brake ducts attach to the bumper have to be trimmed off or you could do what did and trim some of the grille off. Either way, you need to trim. Many pics in this thread to show you exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed the upper today. Didn't have to pull the front clip to do so - only discovered this after unbolting everything and starting to pull the clip. Easy modification. Not going to do the lower at this time.

• 1 month later...

Ok so I took the bumper cover off, installed the 13 grills and as I am putting the cover back on I reconnect the side marker and fog lights. So knowing my luck I decided to make sure they both work before I completely reinstall the cover and low and behold the driving lights dont work. Re checked the connection and both are plugged in. Any ideas???

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived