TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Getting ready to have Shelby build me a GTS, what to get, not to get?

lbj

Final GTS process time:

Nov. 30, 2011 - Special Ordered Mustang from Ford

Feb 5, 2012 - Mustang arrived at Dealer

Feb. 23, 2012 - Dealer delivered Mustang to Shelby

Apr. 26, 2012 - Mustang up on the lift

May 17, 2012 - GTS complete

May 22, 2012 - GTS picked up by transport

May 31, 2012 - GTS delivered

Notes:

Some dates are approximate give or take a day or two

This was a base GTS package

Dates overlap with the 50th Bash & Mr. Shelby's passing.

Needless to say, both exciting and difficult times for the SAI organization.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good information, thanks. Very helpful.

From the photos of your GTS, sure looks like almost an inch or an inch lower to me.

Arrival at SA to completion 83 days apparently, but that was starting late last February.

Now it's June, so maybe longer for mine is my guess.

I was told 90 to 120 days.

Patentman, thanks for the pictures of the before and after for the lowering. Very helpful! And the timeline is nice too. Gives me a feel for mine. I am hoping to have her back in August but Sept is the most likely scenario.

Well, at least I knew this going in.

I have been waiting since 1965-66 even though I wasn't old enough to drive, so what's a few months?

I started missing mine the moment I drove it on to the transport truck. I hadn't even exited my vehicle at the point.

Yeah, I really drove it on to the truck cuz it as last in line.

Morgan19d,

I opted to have the Speed Shop put in the Torsen T2 differential as well as some axle relocation bracket thing after the build and also upgrade the clutch.

After talking with Jeremy and Frankie at the Speed Shop, it seems like a pretty good thing if one can afford it.

I am a handling and traction freak for street driving, especially when accelerating out of corners.

I did a lot of research and they are right, the Torsen T2 seems the best way to go.

As far as the clutch, I have been reading horror stories about the stock clutches and problems with them, hence the upgrade.

Morgan19d,

I opted to have the Speed Shop put in the Torsen T2 differential as well as some axle relocation bracket thing after the build and also upgrade the clutch.

After talking with Jeremy and Frankie at the Speed Shop, it seems like a pretty good thing if one can afford it.

I am a handling and traction freak for street driving, especially when accelerating out of corners.

I did a lot of research and they are right, the Torsen T2 seems the best way to go.

As far as the clutch, I have been reading horror stories about the stock clutches and problems with them, hence the upgrade.

I am glad that atleast at this time, I don't have to worry about all of that. I am thinking that once my warranty finally goes I will opt for the Procharger. However, I am hoping my next assignment takes me back down south and I plan to get into autocrossing. Maybe some SCCA stuff and I dont know if the procharger will really benefit me in that type of driving. I hear that that type of blower doesnt start making big power untilt he upper RPMs which might be a let down for shorter, tighter more technical tracks. And Lord knows that even supercharged, my little six won't be able to run with the BIG boys on the drag strip.

That kind of thing would be cool. I hope that happens for you. You deserve it.

Reminds me of a quote from a film called the Outlaw Josey Wales:

"Clouds are like dreams, floating across the sky blue mind."

If they send you south, I hope that dream becomes reality.

Without dreams, we'd have nothing to make in to reality one day.

Owning a Shelby is kind of like that for me.

To be honest, I am getting a little worried about the shelf life of that 6 speed M-82 transmission in my Mustang GT.

Mine was shifting well but it was loud. Time will tell I guess.

My warranty will be voided with the 624HP so if that transmission doesn't hold up, hopefully by that time, Ford will have an upgraded edition of that or have switched to something else I can put in it.

Maybe I have been reading too much on the net from those armchair types.

While I may think I am learning a lot, it is the internet after all but there are some truthful things posted out there.

The problem is wading though all that... the real and the not so real.

I am going to take a 2 day at Bondurant this fall. I need to be able to learn some things that can make me safer when I push this beast a little.

In 42 years of driving, I have never had the power that I am going to have in this vehicle and am unprepared for some negative things I could accidentally get into.

Y'all will love the cars when you get them back. If you don't have gears, 3.73s, I would recommend them - especially for the V6. My car just seems to swim through the shifts when I punch into it.

Thanks lbj! Going down south should present me with a lot more car opportunities than here in ID. More shows, more tracks, better weather year round for the car! As far as gears go, mine came with the 3:73s from Ford with the performance package. I love 'em. So tjys, how about some more pics of your ride?

I have a hell of a time posting them to this site. I have no problems posting to AllFordMustangs but I'm just pulling my hair (what's left) out here. I took this one Sunday at the Tamashira fish market with my wife in the passenger seat!!! Note that the other pics are after I added the mirror covers and side vents.

post-35354-0-07523600-1339482939_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-99226300-1339483132_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-60096800-1339483142_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-07523600-1339482939_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-99226300-1339483132_thumb.jpg

post-35354-0-60096800-1339483142_thumb.jpg

It looks lowered alright. And very nice looking I should add. That hood, ooh la la.

Have you had any problems scraping any speedbumps in parking lots or those dip like concrete drainage pans found at some intersections?

I've "rubbed" a couple of entrances to steep parking lot entries. Overall I really haven't had any issues with ride height ... and some of the speed bumps here must be a foot tall! Just kidding but they are tall.

I am sure we are going to love them when we get them back! My wife thinks I am kind of stalker-ish, because whenever someone posts pics of their GTSs either completed or in progress I save them to a special folder on my desk top... I tell ehr I am documenting the GTS heritage :)

Ever since I saw my first GTS, I've been in love with them. If I didn't have the 08 Supercharged, I'd definitely be building a similar '12 GTS now. You guys are gonna love your cars!

I initially wanted a GT350 until I saw the GTS version on the SAI website and realized if I option one up, I could essentially build something similar but in Grabber blue and with a deep draw hood.

Have you had any problems scraping any speedbumps in parking lots or those dip like concrete drainage pans found at some intersections?

Smooth road...Awesome.

Bumpy road... Still fun to drive. (Don't drink coffee.)

I made a tight u-turn with no rubbing.

The real test is when I take the GTS to New York City. I'll let you know how may teeth I have left. :-)

Smooth road...Awesome.

Awesome sounds good. Lots of county roads for me where I live.

Bumpy road... Still fun to drive. (Don't drink coffee.)

Yeah, we got some of those roads too.

Do we even have cup holders in our Mustangs? I didn't have mine long enough to find out.

I made a tight u-turn with no rubbing.

Always a good thing to know. I was concerned about that, thanks.

The real test is when I take the GTS to New York City. I'll let you know how may teeth I have left. :-)

Wasn't there some Pace Picante Sauce TV commercial where some cowboys are reading the label about where another hot sauce is made?

They say:

Made in New York City?

Get a rope.

That was a joke of course, my wife loves NYC and she used to live there.

Quick Side Note:

My car was delivered by Gran Turismo. I highly recomend them. They got my car across the country in about a week (the quoted time).

Mike the driver took good care of the car and he spent a long time shining up the car after unloading it from the truck. You can tell from speaking with him that he took a lot of pride in his job. He was more excited about the Shelby than he was carrying than the Bently that was also in the truck.

I just got back from NYC .... and boy is my middle finger tired!

(Joking of course... It is nice visiting my home town)

How was the ride? I still have all of my teeth :-)

I must have gone airborn on the Bruckner. [No I was not speeding.]

Treat speed bumps like stop signs.

I just got back from NYC .... and boy is my middle finger tired!

(Joking of course... It is nice visiting my home town)

How was the ride? I still have all of my teeth :-)

I must have gone airborn on the Bruckner. [No I was not speeding.]

Treat speed bumps like stop signs.

hahaha, I will have to keep that in mind. I wasnt paying attention on Speedway Blvd in Vegas by SAI. Just looking around and hit one of those speed bumps(mountains) really hard... I was afraid I might have broken my car!

I am looking over the sales invoice SAI sent me after I placed my order.

I opted for the wheel and tire package.

The tires shown on the invoice are:

Front 255/45/18/9.5

Rear 285/45/18/9.5

Question...

I thought when you went wider on rear tires than the front, the sidewall height number goes down one increment.

My X5 is that way. But it is all wheel drive.

Front 255/40/19

Rear 285/35/19.

My wife's BMW is a rear wheel drive only car.

Front 245/45/19

Rear 275/40/19

I am thinking my GTS should come with

Front 255/45/18/9.5

Rear 285/40/18/9.5, not 285/45/18

Am I a bit slow in the head and not understanding something here?

Is this some performance thing?

I did some research on the aspect ratio here.

If my GTS comes with:

Front 255/45/18

Rear 285/45/18

This will mean the rear tires' sidewall height is taller than the front sidewall height.

Hmmm, still scratching my head on the whys here.

I had to break out the calculator on this one.

The rear sidewalls will be 5 inches tall, tread to bead while the fronts wil be 4.5 inches tall, tread to bead.

Not as much as I would have thought.

Might be a good look and there also might be a performance reason as well, though I don't have that answer.

The invoice says the wheels are 18X9.

But the tires say they are KR type

255/45/18/9.5

285/45/18/9.5

The photo you refer to that shows the rear at 285/40/18 makes perfect sense and the sidewall for a rear tire like that would be the same sidewall height as a 255/45/18.

The 9.5 width numbers on my invoice might be a typo as well because they refer to the KR tires, not the wheels.

Archived