TEAM SHELBY FORUM

wtf article on shelby mentioned tremic grinding issue

svt13

More from Tremec Nate when he answered some questions about my 2012 GT-500 Transmission: "Please note that while occasionally changing fluid will yield a noticeable difference, it is important to remember that the TR-6060 in your vehicle is a ‘heavy-duty’ manual transmission. As such, it uses heavy duty hardware that contributes to increased rotating inertia and thus a perceived ‘notchy’ feel in the shift action. This is normal and in no way indicative of an improperly performing unit." (Nate recommended Mobil 1 ATF as acceptable if you want to go with a Full Synthetic. They have tested the transmission with Mobil 1 with good results.)

Good post . I used Mobil1 in my transmission too. As far as using a better shifter is concerned. If I determine and only if I determine that the stock 13' shifter is a bit too sloppy for hard performance type shifting I will probably opt for this one. I've seen one up close , the engineering and quality is second to none. (MGW) There is a noise trade-off when changing to a HP shifter like this one.

EDIT: Here's a rather thorough review http://www.ipubble.c...ang-w-mt82-6spd

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that is the issue---will be about twice as much because I can get a very good deal ordering the Ford. The Viper will not be something you see everyday -- see 2 or 3 everyday going to work everyday of the GT500's! For the money the Ford is the best buy PLUS don't feel bad about putting miles on it and it is wicked fast!

yea but the viper is still way more awesome lol. don't feel bad about putting miles on the viper. Its ment to be driven. Plus it sounds sooooo good. I'd easily buy a viper over this car. Though for me the viper is to impractical. For that money I'd buy a gtr since its AWD, I can't have 2 cars at this moment. The shelby for me will be my daily driver all year long.

sorry, but I do not like the front of the new viper...looks like a ferrari california. It does not sound that good, and its very impratical. Great to dream about, and it is a beast...but not for me and not for the money. Im guessing the new one will be well over 100K......and way to support SVT with such a pessimistic attitude

being negative about something you dont even have yet is stupid. Trying to be positive and objective does not make me a fan boy. Now do I prefer mustangs over the others? yes...thats my choice. Many other cars are awesome, they just arent for me. If you like the viper so much then get it, but at this point your so negative about the GT500 I dont know why you bother

being negative about something you dont even have yet is stupid. Trying to be positive and objective does not make me a fan boy. Now do I prefer mustangs over the others? yes...thats my choice. Many other cars are awesome, they just arent for me. If you like the viper so much then get it, but at this point your so negative about the GT500 I dont know why you bother

I clearly said the viper is impractical for me and too expensive. Again some people have certain expectations and others have higher ones at a 70k price tag. Drive some other cars that are nicer and same performance and you will see what I mean. And again your just saying dumb shit for the sake of it I think with that last comment. I simply said if the shelby has the same problem as the others when Jamaal said he fixed it is unacceptable. If you think its ok for the car to grind then well you should stop posting here. Clearly you don't know the headache of dealing with that crap. I bought the car for the same reason everyone bought the car. Its a 200 mph z06 performance car with a 55k price tag and its the baddest mustang ever made, plus looks awesome. Best bargain out there.

forgot to add ford gt levels of performance too :)

you talking about the 1-2 grind that plagued the 11-12 cars as if im not aware of it....and then you talk about it on this new car which you have not driven yet! so who sounds like the moron saying stupid shit for the sake of saying it? many people here have already stopped reading your posts because you sound just like a C5 retard, conjecture and inference without any real world knowledge! so far not one person who has taken delivery of the car has complained of a 1-2 shift grind....at this point im already dont trying to reason with you. I didnt say it was ok for the car to have issues...but we still dont have long term real world reviews of it yet, so how about you just sit back and wait?

you talking about the 1-2 grind that plagued the 11-12 cars as if im not aware of it....and then you talk about it on this new car which you have not driven yet! so who sounds like the moron saying stupid shit for the sake of saying it? many people here have already stopped reading your posts because you sound just like a C5 retard, conjecture and inference without any real world knowledge! so far not one person who has taken delivery of the car has complained of a 1-2 shift grind....at this point im already dont trying to reason with you. I didnt say it was ok for the car to have issues...but we still dont have long term real world reviews of it yet, so how about you just sit back and wait?

Well mine comes next week so we shall seeeeee. I'll put out a very detailed review since I am completely unbiased.

Additionally it doesn't seem that anything was really wrong with the transmissions more the shifters with the 11-12 cars, I don't think ford changed the shifter at all (could be wrong about that), if that is true then there could still be a problem but again we shall see.

Well mine comes next week so we shall seeeeee. I'll put out a very detailed review since I am completely unbiased.

Additionally it doesn't seem that anything was really wrong with the transmissions more the shifters with the 11-12 cars, I don't think ford changed the shifter at all (could be wrong about that), if that is true then there could still be a problem but again we shall see.

then ill wait for that review.....a long term one. also be sure to let the car warm up first. I hear thats something that contributed to the 1-2. There have been many opinions on why the 1-2 grind happend ( bad synchros, the shifter, not warmed up, etc) do granny shifts then do speed shifts and see what you find! also some have said to be sure the clutch is down to the floor when shifting for some reason...just some things ive heard...when I get my car ill do my own review as well

then ill wait for that review.....a long term one. also be sure to let the car warm up first. I hear thats something that contributed to the 1-2. There have been many opinions on why the 1-2 grind happend ( bad synchros, the shifter, not warmed up, etc) do granny shifts then do speed shifts and see what you find! also some have said to be sure the clutch is down to the floor when shifting for some reason...just some things ive heard...when I get my car ill do my own review as well

I'll be granny shifting just because I'm terrified of killing myself lol. But yea I was told the same thing shifting fast in a cold car is a bad idea. My dealer told me this and I don't know if its true that for just new cars the clutch has to be always 100% down before shifting till a while. My friends 03 cobra I can shift fine with the clutch halfway down since by then its already passed the engagement point but oh well.

Jamaal can say whatever he wants for the camera. Untill us as consumers confirm it, its all media bs.

In case you don't know it Jamal Hameedi isn't with the media he is the chief engineer on the 2013GT500....I think he knows what he's talking about

In that vid he systematically addressed may of the technical upgrades this car has over it's predecessors and why they were addressed. Very good information I might add since I know the earlier Gt500's intimately having had one and modded it extensively over the past six years. I know where all of it's weaknesses are. These improvements are the reason why I now have one on order myself. I know what they mean to this car. It's no wonder this car is getting rave reviews even from those who really don't like American cars....

Don't confuse the difference between what an engineer states and what an automotive journalist's BS opinion is.

Tell me one thing ....If you think what Jamal said is "media BS" why in the world would you be buying this car in the first place?

It's funny how a new car is always advertised as being everything you ever wanted and more...

How a new car is just presented as being perfect with zero flaws...every aspect of it has been taken care of by the best engineers there is on earth.

Until the next one comes and then "they" admit it was just a piece of junk - you have to get rid of - and buy the "new" one :hysterical:

OK ok ok I am kidding (I am) but besides "evolution" taking place, it's a bit of that, still...

Look back at that video when the 14' will be launched: I am sure you will laugh :hysterical2:

That said, I LOVE the GT500's and LOVE the way it evolved. :salute:

In case you don't know it Jamal Hameedi isn't with the media he is the chief engineer on the 2013GT500....I think he knows what he's talking about

In that vid he systematically addressed may of the technical upgrades this car has over it's predecessors and why they were addressed. Very good information I might add since I know the earlier Gt500's intimately having had one and modded it extensively over the past six years. I know where all of it's weaknesses are. These improvements are the reason why I now have one on order myself. I know what they mean to this car. It's no wonder this car is getting rave reviews even from those who really don't like American cars....

Don't confuse the difference between what an engineer states and what an automotive journalist's BS opinion is.

Tell me one thing ....If you think what Jamal said is "media BS" why in the world would you be buying this car in the first place?

Please don't kid yourself. If the engineer doesn't praise the car himself then no one is going to buy it lol. If no one buys it he has no job. He's a good engineer, doesn't mean he can't say things that are untruthful sometimes ( ooops :) ). I'm buying the car because like I said before, its awesome, does 200 mph, 662 hp, comfortable, looks good, and for once its a car that is A GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY YOU PAY.

If the engineer for lamborghini came up to me and said "hey my car can go 250 mph" I'd tell him ok lets go try it and see. Not just believe everything he says.

So far the media has verified everything Jamaal has said which is good my congradulations to him. And as Jay Leno has said, thanks for building a great car.

Stupid as it sounds...try dumping tranny oil and refill with Valvoline Max Life (75,000 miles and over) ATF. Got rid of my notchy feel on the 5 speed in 3rd. Shifts like butter now. Got the tip from TS poster.

Stuff reeks of additives and damn if it did'nt work.

Say what you will, its all thats staying in mine now.

Stupid as it sounds...try dumping tranny oil and refill with Valvoline Max Life (75,000 miles and over) ATF. Got rid of my notchy feel on the 5 speed in 3rd. Shifts like butter now. Got the tip from TS poster.

Stuff reeks of additives and damn if it did'nt work.

Say what you will, its all thats staying in mine now.

Some people were saying amsoil was the best.

Good post . I used Mobil1 in my transmission too. As far as using a better shifter is concerned. If I determine and only if I determine that the stock 13' shifter is a bit too sloppy for hard performance type shifting I will probably opt for this one. I've seen one up close , the engineering and quality is second to none. (MGW) There is a noise trade-off when changing to a HP shifter like this one.

EDIT: Here's a rather thorough review http://www.ipubble.c...ang-w-mt82-6spd

This review is really good. In my opinion the way this guy goes through the gears effortlessly is how our shifters should be straight from the factory. I don't know if its because this is a shorter short throw shifter or if good oil would cause this to happen but THIS is how the shifter should be. (but without the loud noise he complains about)

This review is really good. In my opinion the way this guy goes through the gears effortlessly is how our shifters should be straight from the factory. I don't know if its because this is a shorter short throw shifter or if good oil would cause this to happen but THIS is how the shifter should be. (but without the loud noise he complains about)

They're talking about a completely different transmission. Apples & Oranges.

When I bought my Raptor last month I had to take it back for a paintless dent repair. The dealer gave me a brand new Roush Stage 2 off of the showroom floor for a loaner. The transmission in it is SOOO much easier to shift than my GT500. It shifted like butter, with NO effort. I pulled off a full throttle second gear shift with ease and a pretty decent 2nd gear patch. I remember thinking, "*This* is how the GT500 should shift" while I was driving it.

Again, Apples and Oranges.

Phill

They're talking about a completely different transmission. Apples & Oranges.

When I bought my Raptor last month I had to take it back for a paintless dent repair. The dealer gave me a brand new Roush Stage 2 off of the showroom floor for a loaner. The transmission in it is SOOO much easier to shift than my GT500. It shifted like butter, with NO effort. I pulled off a full throttle second gear shift with ease and a pretty decent 2nd gear patch. I remember thinking, "*This* is how the GT500 should shift" while I was driving it.

Again, Apples and Oranges.

Phill

Roush did so much development on the 13 gt500. Why didn't they make the shifting like it was in the roush you drove do you think? Are you sure its the transmission and not the shifter itself? Since putting an aftermarket shifter in these cars seem to make it shift like 'butter" but at the cost of more noise. Plus I am under the impression ford uses the tr6060 because it can handle the torque as they said, which I don't get since now there is a 650 hp roush, and I don't think it uses the tremec.

Archived