TEAM SHELBY FORUM

wtf article on shelby mentioned tremic grinding issue

svt13

+1 been wondering this same thing. post traumatic stress disorder from earlier model years i assume.. zero evidence that this is an issue for the '13 except for some idiot journalist who didn't do his homework.. time to move on

Homework or not, he drove the thing and got a grind. Now, it could be that he's an idiot who can't drive, or it could be there's a problem with the new trans.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Homework or not, he drove the thing and got a grind. Now, it could be that he's an idiot who can't drive, or it could be there's a problem with the new trans.

Or it could be the trans was cold. Or it could be he didn't have the clutch fully disengaged. Or it could be he missed a shit. Or it could be.........

Would'a, Could'a, Should'a, all very BIG words.

Phill

Or it could be the trans was cold. Or it could be he didn't have the clutch fully disengaged. Or it could be he missed a shit. Or it could be.........

Would'a, Could'a, Should'a, all very BIG words.

Phill

The point is, he experienced the grinding. He wasn't talking about it because of lack of "doing his homework" or "PTSD" WHY it happened is irrelevant, the fact is that it did.

No grind on my new 13 - shifts fantastic.

So far you, Jay leno, and one guy on stvpp have had zero issues. Other people on svtpp are complaining about the shifter. I remember in the Jay leno review he called it notchy. Now this is probably an idiot question to ask but what the hell does notchy mean in reference to a transmission?

So far you, Jay leno, and one guy on stvpp have had zero issues. Other people on svtpp are complaining about the shifter. I remember in the Jay leno review he called it notchy. Now this is probably an idiot question to ask but what the hell does notchy mean in reference to a transmission?

I went through ALL of the threads in the 2013 section of SVTPerformance.com and could not find ONE person with a compaint about grinding.

The ONE guy I saw with ANY complaint regarding the trans said the shifter felt rumbly, or something to that effect. But NO GRINDING.

What thread or threads are YOU referencing.

Phill

The point is, he experienced the grinding. He wasn't talking about it because of lack of "doing his homework" or "PTSD" WHY it happened is irrelevant, the fact is that it did.

Oh, well in that case if the guy is a dumbshit that doesn't know how to drive a stick and grinds a gear, IT'S THAT DAMN TREMAC TRANSMISSIONS FAULT.

Right? Because that's what you are saying.

"WHY it happened is irrelevant, THE FACT IS THAT IT DID." (says you).

Seriously???

Phill

I am on SVTP all the time, coming over here and lying and saying people are complaining is ridiculous. Are you reading the 2013 section or the regular GT500 section? those guys have had issues yes, but noone has complained about the new cars....only thing Ive seen is someone not completely satisfied with the play once in gear, but thats all cars. a shifter swap to something more aggressive or shorter will take care of that

I am on SVTP all the time, coming over here and lying and saying people are complaining is ridiculous. Are you reading the 2013 section or the regular GT500 section? those guys have had issues yes, but noone has complained about the new cars....only thing Ive seen is someone not completely satisfied with the play once in gear, but thats all cars. a shifter swap to something more aggressive or shorter will take care of that

Yeah, that's the same thing I'm seeing.

I don't know WHERE he sees people (even ONE person) complaining about a trans grind, let alone a 1-2 shift grind.

Phill

Oh, well in that case if the guy is a dumbshit that doesn't know how to drive a stick and grinds a gear, IT'S THAT DAMN TREMAC TRANSMISSIONS FAULT.

Right? Because that's what you are saying.

"WHY it happened is irrelevant, THE FACT IS THAT IT DID." (says you).

Seriously???

Phill

Yes Phill, that is in fact what I said. You're wrong about what I meant though.

Read the post I was originally responding to. The implication from that person was that the grinding was only mentioned because of (and I quote) "post traumatic stress disorder from earlier model years" and then says, (again quoting) "zero evidence that this is an issue for the '13 except for some idiot journalist who didn't do his homework" which seems to imply (to me anyway) that he (the journalist) didn't know that the trans in the '13 is new, and simply assumed, and then stated, there was still an issue with it as there had been in the '11-'12 model years.

The article states "...the robust six-speed manual gearbox penalizes rushed shifts with a grind". So he drove it, and got grinding from the trans (I admit, I am assuming that he isn't lying about it). Does that mean there is a problem with the trans? No. Could be a ton of factors. But again, that wasn't my point.

IMHO - Ford/Tremec has done a BEAUTIFUL job with this tranny - great shifting - very firm - gear ratios are just right for the tremendous amount of power this car puts out. Sixth gear is very tall - about 1200 RPM at 70 MPH. No complaints at all so far.

excellent to hear! enjoy! :rockon:

For those of you that don't seem to know, the Tremec T-56 Magnum and the TR-6060 in the 2011/2012 Shelby's are the same transmission. I quote from an e-mail from Nate Tovey (Director of Enthusiast Marketing for Tremec) in response to some questions I had: "And just as an FYI, the Magnum 6-speed is an aftermarket version of the exact same transmission that is in your GT500; utilizing the same materials for its synchronizers." Nate also told me "As you know, GT500’s use a very ‘short throw’ shifter as equipped from the factory. The reduced throw also translates to increased effort..." The Ford shifter is probably the larger part of the issue.

I think I'll go with what bergenfelter and jay leno have said and that the shifter is good. Jay leno knows what hes talking about and hes unbiased about any car like pretty much everyone on the shelby forums are which is ok. Plus some people may think some things bother them that other people don't like the one guy who doesn't like that in first gear the shifter moves to the right and left by a quarter inch or something. I just don't want the grind shit to happen and I miss 2nd in the middle of the road and have to reshift. I felt the grind in the 2012 gt model I test drove even and thats is a RIDICULOUS problem to have in a 70k car. Especialy when Jamaal himself said he fixed it. There shouldn't have to be some special way to shift the car to make it not grind. No then that shows the engineer was an idiot or just didn't care, especially if the problem was said to be fixed.

And to anyone saying "oh its ok that the shifter is like this just get an aftermarket one" is retarded. When you pay 70k for a car there is no excuse for lack of quality, especially on essential parts like the transmission. And no just because it can witstand 662 hp doesn't qualify it as quality. It has to be smooth as well and easy to use. And it can not grind. Unless you are a dumbass and shift it without pushing the clutch in. Or try to powershift when the transmission is cold or any other thing that makes every manual transmission in the world grind.

I digress, I'll go with what bergenfelt has said and others and hope for zero problems because a 1-2 grind is just going to piss me off like it did everyone else who experienced it with previous years.

IMHO - Ford/Tremec has done a BEAUTIFUL job with this tranny - great shifting - very firm - gear ratios are just right for the tremendous amount of power this car puts out. Sixth gear is very tall - about 1200 RPM at 70 MPH. No complaints at all so far.

I fully agree! It does take a bit of effort to shift, more so than my '09. But it is smooth, clutch is awesome!

He said it shifts very nicely and its almost notchy. I have no clue waht notchy means in reference to shifting though.

notchy [ˈnɒtʃɪ]

adj

(of a motor vehicle gear mechanism) requiring careful gear-changing, as if having to fit the lever into narrow notches

notchy [ˈnɒtʃɪ]

adj

(of a motor vehicle gear mechanism) requiring careful gear-changing, as if having to fit the lever into narrow notches

well thats not good then lol. when I googled it some other definition came up. Must not have been in reference to a car.

I sure hope this is not going to grind like my 2012 does. Going to order one tomorrow---this is just way too cheap for the kind of car that it is. Was going to get a Viper but for the money this is the best way to not have a fortune tied up in a "super car"!!

I sure hope this is not going to grind like my 2012 does. Going to order one tomorrow---this is just way too cheap for the kind of car that it is. Was going to get a Viper but for the money this is the best way to not have a fortune tied up in a "super car"!!

idk the new viper is pretty awesome. I'd think I'd go that route if I could afford it.

For those of you that don't seem to know, the Tremec T-56 Magnum and the TR-6060 in the 2011/2012 Shelby's are the same transmission. I quote from an e-mail from Nate Tovey (Director of Enthusiast Marketing for Tremec) in response to some questions I had: "And just as an FYI, the Magnum 6-speed is an aftermarket version of the exact same transmission that is in your GT500; utilizing the same materials for its synchronizers." Nate also told me "As you know, GT500’s use a very ‘short throw’ shifter as equipped from the factory. The reduced throw also translates to increased effort..." The Ford shifter is probably the larger part of the issue.

Has anyone tried an after market shifter on the cars with the problem grinding? Did it solve the problem?

idk the new viper is pretty awesome. I'd think I'd go that route if I could afford it.

Well that is the issue---will be about twice as much because I can get a very good deal ordering the Ford. The Viper will not be something you see everyday -- see 2 or 3 everyday going to work everyday of the GT500's! For the money the Ford is the best buy PLUS don't feel bad about putting miles on it and it is wicked fast!

More from Tremec Nate when he answered some questions about my 2012 GT-500 Transmission: "Please note that while occasionally changing fluid will yield a noticeable difference, it is important to remember that the TR-6060 in your vehicle is a ‘heavy-duty’ manual transmission. As such, it uses heavy duty hardware that contributes to increased rotating inertia and thus a perceived ‘notchy’ feel in the shift action. This is normal and in no way indicative of an improperly performing unit." (Nate recommended Mobil 1 ATF as acceptable if you want to go with a Full Synthetic. They have tested the transmission with Mobil 1 with good results.)

Archived