TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Only one piston caliper in the rear?

svt13

Because there is absolutely no need for it. Why spend more with overkill if it's not needed? Look at the winning full race Mustangs in the Continental challenge series. Stock single piston rear calipers. Sure, it would look far more cool, but is that reason to? Maybe, but I guess the engineers decided no. I would probably upgrade them if I were getting one, because I think it would look much better, but it's not necessary. I guess that can be argued by some. I would imagine the next gen will have larger multiple pot calipers with the IRS. But then the dynamics change drastically.

Because there is absolutely no need for it. Why spend more with overkill if it's not needed? Look at the winning full race Mustangs in the Continental challenge series. Stock single piston rear calipers. Sure, it would look far more cool, but is that reason to? Maybe, but I guess the engineers decided no. I would probably upgrade them if I were getting one, because I think it would look much better, but it's not necessary. I guess that can be argued by some. I would imagine the next gen will have larger multiple pot calipers with the IRS. But then the dynamics change drastically.

I don't know I think one magazine complained about the braking performance. I just thought since the car is so heavy they would upgrade the caliper in the rear not just front. I mean i would want the car to have the best brakes short of carbon ceramic. Though if they made those for a mustang I would get them.

However it does look like they did bump up the rotor size. I can't find anything specific on that, but it sure looks bigger in the pictures I see. That would make a bigger difference in additional stopping power then the calipers. Better cooling also which is also a big help. I do agree with you for sure. I would like to see a multi piston caliper on the back, but it really would not make much of a performance difference in the braking on this chassis. My brothers older SRT8 300c has 4 piston Brembo's all around stock. Of course that is trying to stop a tank....

yea all the rotors have increased in size. The fronts are 15 inches and the backs are 13.8 I believe. But yea I wish they did 4 just cause also it looks cooler lol. Even all the corvettes have 6 up front and 4 in rear. I don't like when Ford pinches pennies on this car. I don't know any performance or luxury car besides a bentley with less than 4 calpier brakes in the rear. It's just stupid. I would have been more than willing to pay an extra 500 or 1000 for that. Now I have to pay 2000 to change the brakes if Brembo even makes a rear for the shelby.

Any ideas on why the hell SVT has a one piston caliper in the rear and a 6 in the front. Even the zl1 has at least 4 in the rear. Shit 2 would have been better than one.

70% of the vehicle's braking is done with the front brakes so you only need 30% of the front brakes in the rear, MAX.

Why go to 50% or 100% if it's not needed? It's overkill.

Having said that, I'm putting the Shelby/Baer rear brakes on my 2010 GT500 to match the fronts...For LOOKS. Nothing else, just looks.

Phill

• 7 months later...

I agree. The Ford parts department only lists one right and one left rear caliper for the 2013 GT500. If a dual-piston caliper was available, it should be listed although that parts posting is dated 27 Feb 2012. My car has the 'Track Pack' which does have a brake cooling duct channel in the corner of both sides of the lower grill which y's to create a path for air to go both to the front brakes and two other heat exchangers (differential on one side and something else on the other). This is not listed as part of the track pack, but I have noticed that non-track pack cars I have seen in show rooms have these channels blocked off. Don't know why! Anyway, if road tests show brake fade from heat on the second and third laps of test tracks, it would seem to be the most likely place to do some improving. Rear brake cooling ducts would be another.

Wrong!!! I have traced the inner Y of both ducts directly to the back side of the front brakes. The dust shields are just to keep dust out of critical components without blocking the cooling effects a larger dust cover would create. The outer channels of both Y's go to the two heat exchangers.

My friend's camera won't work in such tight places either, and I'm not going to remove the lower cover plates or fenders to try to get at those parts at this time. I did get a blog from the local Ford dealer on the subject, but it's unconfirmed at this time.

Brake Cooling Ducts:

After speaking with a Ford representative at today's NY Auto Show, we MAY be in for some GOOD news - albeit unconfirmed at this point.

The web-site information (which did NOT appear within the Order Guide) stating the SVT Track Pack would substitute front brake cooling ducts for fog lamps MAY have been incorrect - hence its removal from Ford's web site since.

According to the Ford representative who attended an in-depth product briefing conducted by Jamal Hameedi, the base GT500 comes WITH functional brake cooling ducts whose inlets are the left and right apertures embedded in the lower grille.

Unfortunately, because the NY show car is a non-production vehicle (even without a VIN), it was impossible to tell by inspecting the car on-hand whether or not her memory served her correctly - though she remains VERY confident. She promised to email him and provide me with a definitive statement as to whether or not the GT500 has brake cooling ducts and whether the Track Package causes any changes to the fog lamps as a result.

I will provide any updated information as I receive it to hopefully assist anybody else who may be unclear and undecided as to how they might prefer to order their particular car.

Just turn the wheels all the way to one direction. If you have ducts leading to the calipers they will be easy to see from the outside. There will be a tube leading from the front of the car to the back of the rotor. Fuzzy picture will be better than no picture. If you have ducts from the factory, you are the only one to date. Did you buy the car new or used? Dealer installed?

Sorry! No tubes leading anywhere. There's only a hole opposite both heat exchangers which leads to the area behind the front wheels. The car's put up for the winter and it's too cold here in the mountains to get under the car for anything right now. Maybe in the spring when I install a Ford Racing shock tower strut brace.

• 2 years later...

yea all the rotors have increased in size. The fronts are 15 inches and the backs are 13.8 I believe. But yea I wish they did 4 just cause also it looks cooler lol. Even all the corvettes have 6 up front and 4 in rear. I don't like when Ford pinches pennies on this car. I don't know any performance or luxury car besides a bentley with less than 4 calpier brakes in the rear. It's just stupid. I would have been more than willing to pay an extra 500 or 1000 for that. Now I have to pay 2000 to change the brakes if Brembo even makes a rear for the shelby.

A Corvette is a totally different class of car than a Mustang, one a two seat Sportscar, the other, a 4 sear GT Car.

Comparisons are absurd.

Archived