TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires. Goodyear or Michelin

fbbob96

I'm sure this question has been asked before,but I just joined last week and am a proud owner of an all Black 2012 Shelby SVT coupe. One of my concerns are the Goodyears, 19 and 20s. I have been doing some research on tire fitment and it seems the only aftermarket tires available in correct sizes f&r are the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Not a problem for me there. The Goodyears are tough to get,Michelins much easier for about the same price and better wear. I started looking last week after a trip to Myrtle Beach,SC from Lexington,SC. About 150 or so miles. So,what if I get a flat in the middle of nowhere. Call Ford SVT and they send a flatbed to tow me to the nearest Ford dealer,wait a few days for a tire to get there,I'm in a motel room waiting for as long as it takes. Or I can ask the guy from Ford to take me to the nearest Michelin dealer and probably have to wait for the same time, but my thinking is just order all 4 tires,be done with it suck up the cost,and IMO, have a new set of better tires that will hopefully last twice as long as the Goodyears. Does this make even a little bit of sense to anyone? Or am I just nuts! Hopefully that scenario does not happen, and I get my tires replaced here at home......or somewhere close.

I have two mustangs with non OEM size tires, and not a stocked size at most places... So my old tires come off, I save the best front and rear... they get mounted to a spare front and rear wheel and then in to the shed the go.. Wife, son, guy who lives next door all know where the tires are, shipping instructions are attached to each wheel ....all anyone has to do is cart them to the FEDEX or UPS drop off point, and ship one to me.... where ever I am, or bring it if close enough... so a "spare" is as close as a quick trip in a car, or over night shipping.

I never really worry about getting a flat...but unless you have a complete blowout - the tire can be plugged and repaired at a tire shop to get you home. It takes about 10 minutes. I had to have my last set done about 3 times in three years due to picking up screws and nails. My replacement set of Goodyears took 3 days to get from a nearby tire shop.

I just got a 2012 Shelby SVT myself and have been looking at the tire issue. What concerns me is the statement in the Shelby GT 500 Supplement and I quote (for cars with the SVTPP) "Only replace wheels and tires with the EXACT original brand, size, and construction tire with which your vehicle was originally equipped. Use of any other wheel/tire combinations, even with identical size ratings, may result in insufficient running clearances, tire rubbing and eventual puncture." These are strong words that don't allow much room for interpretation. I am inclined to stay with the brand and size specified unless the SVT folks themselves give me an alternative (in writing).

I called SVT a couple days ago and spoke to a tech guy there and explained my concern. He was very nice about saying the car was tested with the Goodyears and thats what Ford recomends. However, he stated many people have called him with the same question about aftermarket tires and understanda our thoughts about it. He told me to check out Tire Rack....he believed there was were a couple manufactuers that if I chose to get there tires,make sure that ALL the specs were the same for proper fitment. Of course he didn't say anything about a written guarentee, but after reading about the Michelins,I'm going to go the dealer and find out for sure about the specs. I would feel alot more comfortable with them than the Goodyears when the time comes. Not a bad idea to have one of each size in the garage also......Yeah...my wife will just love that idea!!! But a good idea.Maybe I will.

Let us know what you find out about the Michelins. I have had better luck with their tires than any others I have ever used. If they fit properly, I would be willing to go with them as well. However, the way I drive the car, my OEM tires will probably last for 10 years (no dragging racing or burnouts for me).

I'm not a big packer so I can usually get what I need in one or two duffle bags and put them in the back seat. Then in the trunk, I have a full sized spare mounted and ready to put on if necessary. I hope I never need it. Regarding Goodyear over Michelin, I can't comment other than to say Michelin tires have always been superior to Goodyear on my cars.

I went through this a few months ago. Here are a few points to consider:

1. The car already has a tire goo kit and inflator in the "spare tire" area. I purchased a ~$10 tire plug kit to augment the stock kit, as I trust plugs better than goo. In any case, you don't have to worry too much about typical tread punctures.
  2. There is a true spare tire solution that fits into the spare tire well and actually mimics the SVTPP wheels. Here's the thread.
  3. The Pilot SuperSports are brand new in the SVTPP sizes. Three months ago there was no exact match besides the Goodyears. The Dunlops get very good reviews.
  4. Don't sweat the dire warning in the manual. You're not going to experience problems if you stay in the same general size range. I think people have gone as wide as 305 on the rears with a properly centered axle. I don't think the SVTPP wheels are designed to take that wide a tire, but people have done it. When I was shopping (for all-season tires, not summer tires), my main criterion was to minimize diameter difference from the stock sizes, so I didn't need to recalibrate the speedometer. I ended up with fronts and rears 10mm narrower than stock, which resulted in about a 1% smaller diameter tire. Car drives great on the street (aggressive driving), and is much, much better in cold weather than the Goodyears, which I just sold this week actually. I wouldn't take these tires to the track, but for daily driving they're perfect. Bridgestone Potenza RE970s, for what it's worth.
  5. Search this forum and svtperformance.com and you'll find dozens of threads on tires and wheels and what sizes fit and yada yada yada. Lots of great info out there from people who have tried every sort of thing.

fbbob96, it looks like you're probably not too concerned with cold weather, being in the South Atlantic region, but just FYI, the Goodyear's are hot-weather tires. I don't know how they compare to the Super Sports (also a summer tire), but my experience on them was that they were very skittish even in the 50's. I got new tires before it ever hit the 60's here so I don't know when they start to behave, really. From my research, they don't seem to have many fans, though.

I'd say get a tire plug kit for an extra measure of safety, then drive the G:2s until they wear out (they do that pretty quickly; nobody's going to get 5 years out of them unless they almost never drive!) and then see what's available. Those Michelins are great tires, from what I read.

(Note that if you get a puncture, IMO the plug should be a temporary fix only. For a high-perf tire, I'd want to get an interior patch applied ASAP.)

Good luck!

I've been running the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for about 3,000 miles and LOVE them so far. They grip really well and take corners like no other tire I've had. Up front i have 275/35/20 and rear 295/35/20. Just be aware that the Michelins seem to run wider than other tires. The 295's in the rear are mounted on 11" Alcoas and fit perfectly. Having these Michelins on there, there is NO WAY I would EVER go back to Goodyears.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'm going to the Mustang week at Myrtle Beach this July,and I'm sure I will see alot of Shelbys there (hopefully), and will be looking at what they have on their cars and get some more ideas. One thing for sure,I don't think I will be putting the Goodyears on again when they do finally wear out. I don't have a problem putting a different size on, say one size smaller 255/40zr19 and 275/35zr20. Getting one size smaller all the way around should be just fineI guess time will tell. In the mean time I'll keep an eye open at the different tire websites.

Just got off the phone with Ford Performance. In a nut shell, the guy said any size, plus+ or minus- 3% of the circumferance is fine. That opens up a whole new field of tires available. Over or under 3% and the car may have problems with traction control.

For what it's worth, I did the math on various tire sizes when I was searching. Here are the sizes I was looking at that fit within your 3% threshold:

Front (OEM = 265/40-19)

275/35-19 = 2.89% smaller

275/40-19 = 1.14% bigger

255/40-19 = 1.17% smaller

Rear (OEM = 285/35-20)

Speedo readings are for 100MPH actual speed

275/35-20 = 1.00% smaller (speedo reads 101)

295/35-20 = 0.98% bigger (speedo reads 99)

275/40-20 = 2.82% bigger (speedo reads 97)

Unless you want to change the stance of the car, probably want to go both-bigger or both-smaller. I went with the 255's in front and 275's in back because they are nearly identical (1% smaller). But then, they're narrower and most guys want to put wider tires on, not narrower. I'm pretty sure you can put 295's on the rear without rubbing problems unless your axle is out of whack, so the 275's up front and 295's in back give you wider tires while keeping the same stance (about 1% bigger front and back). Only reason I didn't go with 275's and 295's is that at the time I couldn't find an all-season high-perf tire I wanted in those sizes. I would've had to mix brands and I didn't want to do that.

I plan to run the Goodyears until they wear out, then switch to the Michelin. I had the Pilot Super Sport on my last ride (Lexus is350) and loved them. I expect they will handle/corner/grip better than the Goodyear and run quieter.

I plan to run the Goodyears until they wear out, then switch to the Michelin. I had the Pilot Super Sport on my last ride (Lexus is350) and loved them. I expect they will handle/corner/grip better than the Goodyear and run quieter.

Those are great tires aren't they? I kept going back and forth between Nittos or Michelin because I have Nitto's on my truck and their great on there. But nothing has compared to the Pilot Super Sports so far.

just curious. does anyone know which "mail order" companies are stocking the Michelin pilot's in the svtp stock sizes(265/40/19 & 285/35/20)?? Cant seem to locate them on-line...Thanks for any info!!

Tire Rack has the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in stock:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?customSizeSearch=true&frontWidth=265%2F&frontRatio=40&frontDiameter=19&rearWidth=285%2F&rearRatio=35&rearDiameter=20

After all the input from you guys and reading reviews available on the net, I decided to go with the Michelins. Considering wear life (30K), fuel efficiency, braking,comfort and handling they are worth the little bit of extra money. I have almost 8K mile on the goodyears and I admit they are wearing pretty good,don't look like thay are half way gone yet,but as soon as they wear out, Michelins are going to be the replacements for sure.

Also, I will be keeping the original size that came on the car. p265/40zr19 and p285/35zr20.

That's my plan too. I've got 10k miles on the Goodyears and they are wearing better than expected. But at the pace I'm racking up the miles, it won't be too long before they are done.

Talked to the guys AGAIN at SVT and they agreed to keep the original sizes if possible. He talked to me about all this technical stuff in relation to tire size.....He lost me have way through his conversation! Basically I understood and I told them that Michelins were available in the same size for about the same price as the Goodyears and they have a much better rating. He agreed the Michelins had a damn good reputation. Soooo.....Michelins, it is.

Archived