TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear tower brace

NMAv

I came across a really great deal on a Steeda rear tower brace. To be honest, I never have seen one before but it just welds in like you would expect (no way to bolt in like the front). I haven't put it in yet and even it it doesn't do any good the price was so cheap that that is OK (that was the was this a stupid purchase disclaimer).

So, having said that has anyone installed one, do they realy help stiffen things up or is it a gimmick taking advantage of teh idea behind the from strut tower brace?

I have one on my 2007 GT500 coupe , actually a Granatelli unit which is the same part . I had to blast the brackets because they were chromed and bend the tabs some in order to get less of a gap to the body and talk about a pain to weld in ( plus getting out the sealer ) for a clean weld. Really can't tell any difference - the S197 platform is already stiff - I also have the KR front strut brace , the lower control arm strut brace ( which came on the car ), a Griggs roll bar ( which DID make a difference ). The one that from a design stand point that should work the best is the one from Ingalls that is a triangle design ( ties into the floor ). I chose the one like you have because I'm planning on going to coilovers in the rear and wanted more metal on the upper mount attatchment area. After the welding I painted the brackets the color of the car and cut out the side trunk panels so all you see is the bracket tabs and a chrome strut bar across the floor of the trunk .

I did the install myself and yes with the welding blanket . The biggest pain is in the prep and making sure that the brackets are parallel (centering up the heim ends) and trying to fit my fat ass halfway in the trunk (my back seats do not go all the way down because the tops hit the crossbar of the rollbar inside) making it so the welding has to be done from the trunk area. :fool:

Archived