TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Doing first oil change myself - what else needs to be done?

WCJ

Yikes!

I called my Local SVT dealer to arrange my Shelby's first oil change, and just for fun I asked him what kind of oil they use. To my fright, the service rep says "The GT500's take 5w20". I was actually more curious in the brand than the viscosity, but boy I'm glad he told me! Even after I asked if he was sure, he insisted they use 5w20. He eventually offered to look it up if i want but by then my confidence in them was gone.

Soooo....It looks like i will be doing my own oil changes.

I have a case of Motorcraft 5w50 Synthetic oil and a filter coming from another (non SVT) Ford dealer.

My question is, is there anything else that should be done on the first service, other than oil and filter?

Thats all I had, come to think of it I didnt even see any grease zerks. I did my first at 500 miles so I mostly wanted to get the break in debris out. I could be wrong about grease fittings, there may be some.

I called another SVT dealer to see. This one is too far to drive for an oil change but at least they seemed to know what they are talking about. They said about the same thing - just oil and filter - that's it for the first service.

IMO it's better to get under there yourself anyway. You can peek and poke around to make sure nothing obvious is wrong.

It's probably not particularly useful on the first oil change, since a lot of crap comes out of a new engine, but on future changes you might invest in a used oil analysis. Oil Analyzers, Inc and Blackstone offer them (probably others too, but I think those are the most common ones). They're about $30 or so, and you need two or more in a row to really tell how your engine is wearing. If you race at all, I'd think a UOA is near-mandatory; otherwise do it if you're anal. I'm anal, so I did a UOA at the first change (1,000) miles and I'm coming up on the 2nd change (3K) and will do another UOA. Probably just do it every time I change the oil. $30 seems like cheap insurance.

Thats all I had, come to think of it I didnt even see any grease zerks. I did my first at 500 miles so I mostly wanted to get the break in debris out. I could be wrong about grease fittings, there may be some.

I don't think ball joints and tie rod ends have had grease fittings for a LONG time. Most (if not all) OEM parts these days are non-serviceable.

Oil and filter will work. You shouldn't need an air filter at that time (don't know how many miles you have). I traded my GT500 in at 3900 miles but I did notice the air filter was pretty dirty on the inlet side down by the little forward facing tube. Have fun!

Make sure to drape something over the frame below the oil filter. Once loosened a decent amount of oil will pour out around the filter even though it's upside down. I did my oil change a week ago with no issues. Used Castrol Synthetic oil with Mobil One Filter.

Joe

Make sure to drape something over the frame below the oil filter. Once loosened a decent amount of oil will pour out around the filter even though it's upside down. I did my oil change a week ago with no issues. Used Castrol Synthetic oil with Mobil One Filter.

Joe

+1 on protection. I use aluminum foil shaped in a funnel toward the waste oil pan.

I prefer and I believe the filter is much better than any on the market. Ford Racing M-6731-FL820. It's what comes with the car. Why change it? :headscratch:

Archived