TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Pic's of Tana's 2010 Clutch TSB for her 2009

Grabber

Tana's 2009 GT500 has 2,954 miles on it. The 3 year warranty is up in a week....so we are glad to get this done.

Dropped the car off tonight so the work can start tomorrow. The same senior master tech that did mine is doing Tana's. I only trust him.

I took some pic's of the parts tonight since I had never seen the new 2010 clutch. It should be great for her and is supposed to be really good for urban driving.

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

040.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

Do you have the short throw shifter in yours? If not you'll do it within about 15 minutes after driving the Tana-mobile with it. Just as well get another one and bring yours down too.

My SGT had a short throw.

The Cobra had a short throw

My FGT had the short throw put in before I got it. I've never known it otherwise.

Do you have the short throw shifter in yours? If not you'll do it within about 15 minutes after driving the Tana-mobile with it. Just as well get another one and bring yours down too.

My SGT had a short throw.

The Cobra had a short throw

My FGT had the short throw put in before I got it. I've never known it otherwise.

Yes...mine does have the short throw shifter in it. It's great !

Okay, I take all my reservations back after reading this: "in my opinion, the thin, aluminum flywheel is THE ONE MAJOR FLAW in the 2007-2009 GT500. It should have been racalled. But, because some GT500s are trailer princesses, or weekend rides, Ford counted on the fact that the warranty would expire on many of these cars before the flaw would pop up".

I knew there was an issue with the 07-09 fly wheel but I never understood the crux of the issue until I read what DrBob posted which I posted above. Of course Grabber you knew but I didn't. :doh:

So Sorry for doubting of course you know whats best and sometimes I have to be convinced. :headspin:

I may have missed something, but just curious, did your shelby experience any problems(clutch-wise), or did your Ford dealer perform this "tsb/upgrade" retro-actively?

The car had a symptom...so they are doing the work. Nothing retro. It is still under the 3 year warranty for anothernweek.

The new clutch is installed...but there is a problem.

This problem only happens in 1st gear and only at 1500 RPM's after you let the clutch out.

At 1500 RPM's there is a shudder / shaking feeling and noise. This happens as soon as you release the clutch and give it a little RPM's. The shudder stops at 1500 RPM's.

The Tech and I could not make this happen in 2nd or 3rd and every thing works fine except that !

It is a very odd circumstance and has my Tech baffled.

Tomorrow my Tech has to open a ticket with the Ford hot line to get some advise so I will know more tomorrow.

I left the car at the dealership and my Tech put it up in the air for safe keeping.

I talked to a good friend that used to be a SVT engineer for Ford. Bill told me that he believes the problem is in the clutch Drive Springs or clutch Dampener springs. One of them *could* be acting up. He said the reason it might be only doing it in 1st gear is because the Springs react different in different regions of the clutch in the different gears.

I have a feeling Ford is going to send out another clutch kit. That's just my gut feeling.

The new clutch is installed...but there is a problem.

This problem only happens in 1st gear and only at 1500 RPM's after you let the clutch out.

At 1500 RPM's there is a shudder / shaking feeling and noise. This happens as soon as you release the clutch and give it a little RPM's. The shudder stops at 1500 RPM's.

The Tech and I could not make this happen in 2nd or 3rd and every thing works fine except that !

It is a very odd circumstance and has my Tech baffled.

Tomorrow my Tech has to open a ticket with the Ford hot line to get some advise so I will know more tomorrow.

I left the car at the dealership and my Tech put it up in the air for safe keeping.

I talked to a good friend that used to be a SVT engineer for Ford. Bill told me that he believes the problem is in the clutch Drive Springs or clutch Dampener springs. One of them *could* be acting up. He said the reason it might be only doing it in 1st gear is because the Springs react different in different regions of the clutch in the different gears.

I have a feeling Ford is going to send out another clutch kit. That's just my gut feeling.

I just got a call from the dealer Service Manager. The Ford Hot Line told them what they thought was wrong and they were right.

Great news.

The trans support member accidentally went back in the wrong way. He said that the trans support member is used for V6's and V8's. It has to go in one way for the V6's and the other way for the V8's. They had to flip the piece around. Easy fix.

I called Tana and she was very happy to hear this news. Later today after work we will pick the car up and do another test drive.

Found this info on the Ford site: The car mayexhibit a heavy driveline shudder on acceleration from a stop or between 3-15 MPH (5-24 Km/h). Complaints may also occur if the transmission crossmember and transmission support insulator were improperly reassembled after transmission removal.

Here is a old pic I had of that cross member so you can see what piece I am talking about.

042-1.jpg

I just got a call from the dealer Service Manager. The Ford Hot Line told them what they thought was wrong and they were right.

Great news.

The trans support member accidentally went back in the wrong way. He said that the trans support member is used for V6's and V8's. It has to go in one way for the V6's and the other way for the V8's. They had to flip the piece around. Easy fix.

I called Tana and she was very happy to hear this news. Later today after work we will pick the car up and do another test drive.

Found this info on the Ford site: The car mayexhibit a heavy driveline shudder on acceleration from a stop or between 3-15 MPH (5-24 Km/h). Complaints may also occur if the transmission crossmember and transmission support insulator were improperly reassembled after transmission removal.

Here is a old pic I had of that cross member so you can see what piece I am talking about.

042-1.jpg

No one ever told them Green side up?? (old jke about sod layers)

So glad it was a easy fix, I can't believe my apprehension over it all. :drop:

Since this post is being made only after a short drive home from the dealership, I have to say I'm surprised that after mastering the original clutch (quite happily) and knowing replacing the clutch and flywheel was the right thing to do I'm kind of in mourning. :rip:

I am happy that all went well and Grabber was there every step of the way. It is a super easy clutch it practically drives itself, it is just Totally different so I don't have too much to say (shocking I know) In a day or two after getting some drive time with the new clutch and short shifter, I'll be back raving how great it all is. happy%20feet.gif

My initial review on this clutch is as follows.

Yesterday I only drove the car about 3 miles and the first thing I noticed is that the clutch pedal was lighter to push. That is all I really noticed because I was focused on the shudder that I knew was NOT right so I then immediately took the car back to the dealer.

Today I put about 30 miles on the car and I was already used to the light clutch pedal. What I noticed was that the clutch was just as strong when I gave the car some RPM's.

When you let the clutch out I got a perfect release every time....no matter how I did it. Babying it was smooth. Letting it out quick was smooth. Giving it RPM's to accelerate fast was smooth.

This new feel accompanied by the new short throw shift linkage with better bushings made Tana's car feel like a million bucks.

She called me and I was at the gas station filling up the tank, and I told her how good it was and I said "you are in for a treat when you drive your car".

Ford even put the short throw shifter on for nothing. So this 5K mod only cost us $190 bucks for the shifter.

My 3rd generation TSB is holding up great. If I ever have any problems, I would welcome this clutch in my car.

Maybe my 7 year extended warranty will pay for one before it expires. :hysterical:

Fantastic news. Seeing that bare parking space in the home garage was painful I bet. Glad she is back in business.

Yes...and last week the car was in the shop getting a clear bra for a couple days......so my Grabber car has been very lonely.

I'm just so glad that this problem was a simple fix and that the Ford Hot line knew what to tell my Tech so he could fix it quickly.

Our meet and greet is next Sat....and Tana plans on driving it on the 130 mile run with the group....so she is very happy that it is back, happy%20feet.gif

If something would of prevented her from going....i would of been in big doo doo. :fan: and had to of hide from her. :hide:

• 5 years later...

Hey Rob -

I'm about to redo the clutch n flywheel for the black 40th. I have the 2010 clutch in there and got about 50k miles out of it. I want to replace with the same. I found a guy who has a 2014 and was going to replace with the parts below, but then decided to go aftermarket. Do you know if the clutch and cylinder numbers shown here are still OK for 2007? What is the significance of the "D" as opposed to the "C" or "A"? I assume a newer improved version, but that may also mean not compatible with 2007-2009. Thoughts?

DR3Z-7A508-A is # for the cylinder

AR3Z-6375-A is # for the flywheel

DR3Z-7B546-A is # for the clutch set

Hey Rob -

I'm about to redo the clutch n flywheel for the black 40th. I have the 2010 clutch in there and got about 50k miles out of it. I want to replace with the same. I found a guy who has a 2014 and was going to replace with the parts below, but then decided to go aftermarket. Do you know if the clutch and cylinder numbers shown here are still OK for 2007? What is the significance of the "D" as opposed to the "C" or "A"? I assume a newer improved version, but that may also mean not compatible with 2007-2009. Thoughts?

DR3Z-7A508-A is # for the cylinder

AR3Z-6375-A is # for the flywheel

DR3Z-7B546-A is # for the clutch set

Subscribed. I saw the same parts listed and considered for my 40th. I'm still on the original clutch. Would have liked to had TSB when I bought it back in 2011.

A good friend that is a GT500 owner and master tech said the 2013-14 would work fine. Although, he highly recommends a Centerforce instead.

Most likely Rob won't see this. He's been gone from the site now for a very long time.

You might wanna email him directly..... If his email is not on his sig page, pm me and I will give it to you.

BB

And it is a shame.... I learned the most from him about these cars. Wish he was still around.

• 6 months later...

Just FYI -

I installed the 2013 clutch and flywheel in both of my 2007 40ths.  The black one had about 50,000 miles on the 2010 clutch and it was just starting to go.  The white one has only 1000 miles on the car - but it has the original 2007 clutch, and I don't want to wait until it starts to heat up and warp and cause synchro problems. So I replaced that with the 2013 clutch and flywheel as well.  Here is the verified list of recommended parts.  I got them all from Tasca for $923.01 including $20 shipping. You'll need to speak with Steve Powell to get the special shipping deal.

Part Number

Part Name

Price

Quantity

Total

AR3Z6375A

Flywheel

$169.79

$169.79

DR3Z7B546A

Ford Mustang Clutch Disc Assembly

$385.66