TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So Cal Local Memorial For Carroll Shelby

Denstang65

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the sound of the plans. As was mentioned, I too am a little concerned about the parking situation at Dukes. Do you think we would all be able to park the cars next to each other (since its a busy weekend)? Can we "reserve" a section of the parking lot? Or could we "reserve" a section of the VALET section for our cars. Hell, maybe they will let us park the cars on the pier in a straight line - ala a show in shine!!! (OK just kidding about that part - LOL!!!)

Forgot to mention, i also like the idea of the plaque! Though, I don't know where I would put it on my car.

Rene

I don't know that they're suitable for mounting unless you have a battery box in the trunk or something like that. But we'll see

Ray, I was going to update that site (and thread) as soon as we had more definitive plans. I am guessing that should be by tomorrow night.

Yes Sir, I will be laying out the plans by tomorrow night. Thank you everyone for responding ;)

Tomorrow is today already!

Yes, I expect to leave here in the white car at 10:30 am or so, feeding my "Be Early or Do Without" compulsion.. A two-hour drive in ordinary traffic, but you never know!

Tomorrow is today already!

Yes, I expect to leave here in the white car at 10:30 am or so, feeding my "Be Early or Do Without" compulsion.. A two-hour drive in ordinary traffic, but you never know!

I should be there unless there are another series of stink bombs at work like yesterday. Lol

I'm sorry to have missed Paul. Must have been stinky at work, eh?

It was a little bit of fun. Not really much. I hadn't been to California Speedway - I mean Auto Club Speedway - before. It was interesting to see it all for the first time. While we were waiting in the first parking lot for the guide to lead us off, there were a few NASCAR cars on track. That engine sound is always exciting. Just before we queued up and went inside, they came out and drove out onto the local surface streets. I guess they have a little heft in Fontana. I stopped worrying about getting a loud muffler ticket in that town.

I counted something like twenty-five visitor cars in line when the parade started. Quite a mix. Couple-three other Mustangs, couple Vettes, a faux NASCAR racer, several nice 1950s-60s cars, one 4x4 I could practically have driven under. I conjected that the 1:30 to 6:00 schedule would yield a few more entries when work hours ended.

The as they guided us onto the track the marshals shouted, "No lagging back! Stay close to the group! The pace car will only go as fast as you can stay together in the group. NO LAGGING BACK!" As I explained afterward, at my age lagging back is inevitable, goes with the territory. The pacer cruised at sixty-five. I had just finished a run up from San Diego on I-15 where from Escondido north the limit is seventy. I saw eighty-something while catching up. I really couldn't help it. Really. I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone.

Michael Waltrip was there on time, greeting us after we completed our twenty-dollar lap. For ten dollars more he would smile and give you a signed card. He was clearly bored and feeling put-upon, coming to life when the little kids showed up for introductions. He took their photo and said he would put it on Twitter. What's Twitter?

I didn't ask if I could go around again since there were so few in line. I got my MW autograph and hit the road. Saw eighty-plus, just keeping up with traffic on the I-15 south.

I'd do it again.

PS: I now remember why I moved from San Bernardino to San Diego: weather is so much nicer here, and not so much smoggy haze in the air.

I'm sorry to have missed Paul. Must have been stinky at work, eh?

It was a little bit of fun. Not really much. I hadn't been to California Speedway - I mean Auto Club Speedway - before. It was interesting to see it all for the first time. While we were waiting in the first parking lot for the guide to lead us off, there were a few NASCAR cars on track. That engine sound is always exciting. Just before we queued up and went inside, they came out and drove out onto the local surface streets. I guess they have a little heft in Fontana. I stopped worrying about getting a loud muffler ticket in that town.

I counted something like twenty-five visitor cars in line when the parade started. Quite a mix. Couple-three other Mustangs, couple Vettes, a faux NASCAR racer, several nice 1950s-60s cars, one 4x4 I could practically have driven under. I conjected that the 1:30 to 6:00 schedule would yield a few more entries when work hours ended.

The as they guided us onto the track the marshals shouted, "No lagging back! Stay close to the group! The pace car will only go as fast as you can stay together in the group. NO LAGGING BACK!" As I explained afterward, at my age lagging back is inevitable, goes with the territory. The pacer cruised at sixty-five. I had just finished a run up from San Diego on I-15 where from Escondido north the limit is seventy. I saw eighty-something while catching up. I really couldn't help it. Really. I hope I didn't ruin it for anyone.

Michael Waltrip was there on time, greeting us after we completed our twenty-dollar lap. For ten dollars more he would smile and give you a signed card. He was clearly bored and feeling put-upon, coming to life when the little kids showed up for introductions. He took their photo and said he would put it on Twitter. What's Twitter?

I didn't ask if I could go around again since there were so few in line. I got my MW autograph and hit the road. Saw eighty-plus, just keeping up with traffic on the I-15 south.

I'd do it again.

PS: I now remember why I moved from San Bernardino to San Diego: weather is so much nicer here, and not so much smoggy haze in the air.

Yeah sorry I didn't get to make but it sounds like the ones running this one were a little anal. Jan in Vegas there were 250+ cars and I drove with a group from the BMC.Thanks for the update ! Oct 5-7 BMC will be having a good time in Vegas in case you didn't see the thread there.

I had another lovely day at work. At least now the problem is having way too much work.

Meet at 10am and stay till Noon : Mooneyes10820 S. Norwalk Blvd in Sante Fe Springs If theirs anyone that cannot make the first stop, you are welcome to meet up at the second stop.

Seond stop is at 1pm till 2pm : 1045 Princeton Dr. in Marina Del Rey .

From there we will leave and arrive to eat at 4pm: a couple of choices, we can go to Hooters in West Covina or Red Robin in La Mirada.

If theirs anyone that could not do the cruise and would still like to meet up for Dining, please join us

Once the Dining is decided, I will leave a final post tomorrow night with the address of the dinning location.

Thanks for getting this together and doing all the leg work!! Plans sound good to me. I would prefer Hooters in West Covina which is conveniently off the 10 freeway BTW. I heard they have pretty good "LEGS", err wings and stuff!!! :drool:

Thanks for all the work setting this up!

I'll be at Mooneyes and the cruise to Princeton Drive.

Won't be able to make the dinner though.

See ya Saturday!

Cheers,

Smitty

Meet at 10am and stay till Noon : Mooneyes10820 S. Norwalk Blvd in Sante Fe Springs If theirs anyone that cannot make the first stop, you are welcome to meet up at the second stop.

Seond stop is at 1pm till 2pm : 1045 Princeton Dr. in Marina Del Rey .

From there we will leave and arrive to eat at 4pm: a couple of choices, we can go to Hooters in West Covina or Red Robin in La Mirada.

If theirs anyone that could not do the cruise and would still like to meet up for Dining, please join us

Once the Dining is decided, I will leave a final post tomorrow night with the address of the dinning location.

Please add me to the list.

Thanks

There is no option to go to the Gardena facility? I didn't catch what happened with that plan

UCLAman is correct. I talked to Jenni at the Foundation and she said that no one will be there. If you do want to drop by there some other time, it is on Figeuora, just north of the 405, across the way from where the Goodyear Blimp is parked at: Shelby building with the Goodyear blimb near by, hmmm! Makes you wonder if Carroll Shelby planned that.

Here is the artwork for the dash plaques. The black squares will be etched away. The black text will be surface etched into the metal. The clear areas will actually be where the metal is after machining

PLEASE DELETE THIS POST Photobucket is not cooperating

Archived