TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Steering Noise

JT2004

Hello Fellow Shelby GT500 Owners,

I just recently purchased a 2011 GT500, upgraded from my 2004 SVT Cobra. Awesome car with 4500 Miles when I purchased it with 7 year bumber to bumper warranty. Had it for over 2 weeks now and enjoying every minute of driving it. I do have one small concern, the car makes a strange noise on slow driving when making a sharp turn (soft squeeking sound), not sure if this is the steering or tires. Is this normal? Nothing I cannot live with but given this is still a "new" car under the original factory warranty, I want to get it addressed right away if it's not common. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,

J-

2011 GT500

Sterling Grey Metallic

SVT Performance Package

Electronics Package

Stripe Delete

Glass Roof

Coincidentally my car just started doing this a couple weeks ago. Mine is a 2012 with SVTPP. I've been trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. When I find out I'll let you know!

Colin

At first I was not going to respond but I have to - both of you have an electric motor incorporated into your steering rack assembly. So that may be what you are hearing. First , it has a plastic shield to aid in directing cooling towards the motor portion - so I have to ask if the noise is ALL the time , when it is first started/cold /but goes away after awhile , or after driving around for awhile/warm. Is it only at full or close to full lock of the steering or any movement in steering causes this noise. If you sit still and put the car in neutral and turn the steering wheel back and forth at idle does it make noise , bring the RPM's up to say 2500 and turn back and forth does it still make noise , noise goes away , or starts making the noise. Either way take it back under your warranty and have it noted to as such that it does exsist and get it documented but be able to give an accuate description to the tech. Then again it could very well be something that has nothing to do with the steering rack at all . There are additional bracing for the motor /rack that tie the lower radiator bracket to the subframe .

Coincidentally my car just started doing this a couple weeks ago. Mine is a 2012 with SVTPP. I've been trying to figure out where the noise is coming from. When I find out I'll let you know!

Colin

Thank you colin, appreicate the reply.

At first I was not going to respond but I have to - both of you have an electric motor incorporated into your steering rack assembly. So that may be what you are hearing. First , it has a plastic shield to aid in directing cooling towards the motor portion - so I have to ask if the noise is ALL the time , when it is first started/cold /but goes away after awhile , or after driving around for awhile/warm. Is it only at full or close to full lock of the steering or any movement in steering causes this noise. If you sit still and put the car in neutral and turn the steering wheel back and forth at idle does it make noise , bring the RPM's up to say 2500 and turn back and forth does it still make noise , noise goes away , or starts making the noise. Either way take it back under your warranty and have it noted to as such that it does exsist and get it documented but be able to give an accuate description to the tech. Then again it could very well be something that has nothing to do with the steering rack at all . There are additional bracing for the motor /rack that tie the lower radiator bracket to the subframe .

Thank you Albino, will test it out when I take the car for a drive again this weekend.

J-

I've read elsewhere on the internet that it could be coming from the rear, specifically the clutch packs in the diff. Certainly to me the noise sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. The solution seems to be to add friction modifier. The noise in my car is only apparent after it is fully warmed up and not while sitting stationary, only at very slow speeds when turning left or right.

Colin

I've read elsewhere on the internet that it could be coming from the rear, specifically the clutch packs in the diff. Certainly to me the noise sounds like it is coming from the back of the car. The solution seems to be to add friction modifier.

Came here to say this. Here's a good thread that discusses both the PS pump and the diff packs as possible sources, along with some recommendations.

Mine groans in the rear on slow/tight turns. Doesn't really bother me too much, but at the next oil change I might squirt some friction modifier in there.

Came here to say this. Here's a good thread that discusses both the PS pump and the diff packs as possible sources, along with some recommendations.

Mine groans in the rear on slow/tight turns. Doesn't really bother me too much, but at the next oil change I might squirt some friction modifier in there.

Thanks Boidster, I just checked out that link...it seems this is possibly a common thing with the GT500's.

J-

• 3 weeks later...

Good to hear you got it fixed - it's not uncommon for LSD to have the clutch pack discs stick (they are suppose to soak the discs in oil prior to assembly until the material is saturated with the oil) Adding the friction modifier allows the disc to slip because when they stick (lock up) it's like having a fully locked spool in the back of the car. Anyways glad you were able to locate that the noise was coming from the back and not up front from the rack and all is better now.

Had this happen on my 2010 and 2012. You well see that it is well documented that this is normal on these cars. You say it not suppose to be this way and ford says this is normal. Putting fiction modifer in the rear end did not fix the problem. It only made noise for me when it was cooler weather. Now its hotter, I have no noise that I can hear.

Archived